If God is "good..."

Delta4Embassy

Gold Member
Dec 12, 2013
Earth
Why does God do things we usually associate with evil? Like killing the first born sons of Egypt, who being young are faultless. Like killing all life on Earth but for Noah, his family, and some animals. Like all life in Sodom and Gomorrah some of whom were innocent as per "if you find but one who is oinnocent I'll spare them..." And he spares Lot and his family. Wiping out entire towns and cities for the sins of a few isn't typically the act of "good guys." Yet God does that rather a lot. God also tells the Exodus Jews arriving in Israel to annihilate the 7 nations already residing there in Deuteronomy 7

Deuteronomy 7

When the LORD your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations--the Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites, seven nations larger and stronger than you--
and when the LORD your God has delivered them over to you and you have defeated them, then you must destroy them totally. [1] Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy.

Destroy them totally, make no treaty and show them no mercy. That's not anyone's idea of good.

So explain for us please why you think God is good.

Why does God do things we usually associate with evil? Like killing the first born sons of Egypt, who being young are faultless. Like killing all life on Earth but for Noah, his family, and some animals. Like all life in Sodom and Gomorrah some of whom were innocent as per "if you find but one who is oinnocent I'll spare them..." And he spares Lot and his family. Wiping out entire towns and cities for the sins of a few isn't typically the act of "good guys." Yet God does that rather a lot. God also tells the Exodus Jews arriving in Israel to annihilate the 7 nations already residing there in Deuteronomy 7

Deuteronomy 7

When the LORD your God brings you into the land you are entering to possess and drives out before you many nations--the Hittites, Girgashites, Amorites, Canaanites, Perizzites, Hivites and Jebusites, seven nations larger and stronger than you--
and when the LORD your God has delivered them over to you and you have defeated them, then you must destroy them totally. [1] Make no treaty with them, and show them no mercy.

Destroy them totally, make no treaty and show them no mercy. That's not anyone's idea of good.

Why must you parade your Biblical ignorance in front of everyone? A simple Google search will answer your questions. That's assuming you really want answers, and aren't just being a troll.

Deuteronomy 7

Why must you parade your Biblical ignorance in front of everyone? A simple Google search will answer your questions. That's assuming you really want answers, and aren't just being a troll.

How is it ignorant when I supplied numerous examples with chapter and verse? If anyone's ignorant or a troll around here it's the one replying sans chapter and verse.

Deuteronomy 7

If your meds don't kick-in within the next hour, call your doc and see if you can get an appointment this morning.

Deuteronomy 7

How is it ignorant when I supplied numerous examples with chapter and verse? If anyone's ignorant or a troll around here it's the one replying sans chapter and verse.
I'm simply saying that the answers are out there. You simply have to look.

Deuteronomy 7

If your meds don't kick-in within the next hour, call your doc and see if you can get an appointment this morning.

Can't defend your own faith or just accept I'm right?

Deuteronomy 7

Well I must be really dumb then because I can't find them. Help me out here will ya?

O

Deuteronomy 7

Well I must be really dumb then because I can't find them. Help me out here will ya?
Ok. Let's start with God killing innocent children. Are you familiar with the age of accountability, mentioned in the Bible?

O

Deuteronomy 7

Ok. Let's start with God killing innocent children. Are you familiar with the age of accountability, mentioned in the Bible?

No actually, was under the impression 'accountability' was a Catholic thing. Age of 12/13 is the Jewish age of adulthood though. Catholic's too if not mistaken. But wasn't aware it's actually in the Bible.

Deuteronomy 7

Can't defend your own faith or just accept I'm right?
No need to defend it. It stands on its own. Besides, this has been debated since the beginning of time, and nothing has ever been proven one way or the other. Everyone has an opinion on the subject, and rarely are any two opinions the same. It's by faith that we believe. And, we respect the ones that don't believe. This subject can be discussed and debated until the end of time, and nothing new will be discovered. This subject has been beaten to death on every forum that I've ever been on, and the results are always the same. Everyone expresses their opinion, and in the end, opinions remain the same. GOD and religion are by faith, and not by any science or mumbo jumbo. One either believes in GOD, or they don't. Each to their own. There are many religions, many levels of faith, and many different ways each are practiced.

It's pointless to debate something that can neither be proven, nor disproven. All we're doing is exchanging different views and opinions on the topic, nothing more. There's no right or wrong conclusion, rather it's each individual's own belief or non-belief that matters in the end. It's best to respect one's belief and faith, since neither side can prove the other side wrong.

Deuteronomy 7

We should be "good" to the muslims....

Delta is searching for God. He is not aware of it. Saul was persecuting early Christians then… BAM!! he became one as Paul. I wonder what Delta's name is going to be.

Deuteronomy 7

I think the implied question here is how can you people worship such a cruel capricious murderous being as your god

Deuteronomy 7

I think the implied question here is how can you people worship such a cruel capricious murderous being as your god

Sort of. I understand the 'how' just not the 'why.'

"You can safely assume you've created God in your own image when it turns out that God hates all the same people you do." Anne Lamott

What can be seen in the Bible is not so much a portrait of God, but people's evolving perceptions of God. The Old Testament perception of God is a God of nations that protects one nation over others...and when He doesn't, it is because the first nation turned away from His teachings.

With Jesus, this perception is turned on its ear. We learn that God is not so much a God of nations as a father to each one personally. He are taught that God is love and He loves us.

Once given this second perception, the Old Testament must be read in a different light--especially when we now also have scientific evidence that help us to understand the natural events of the time.

One of the most vital lessons in the Bible is found in the Old Testament, 1 Kings 19, and Elijah's experience of God. Elijah discovered God will not be found in great events such as floods, famine, plagues, and destruction of entire cities. He may be found in the tiny whispering sound in our own lives.

Delta is searching for God. He is not aware of it. Saul was persecuting early Christians then… BAM!! he became one as Paul. I wonder what Delta's name is going to be.

Interesting. If you only knew how apt.
Delta, forget the "God idea" of the old, hoary bearded man sitting in the clouds. Expand your search beyond the Bible and the Quran (I just mentioned the most notable holy books of the Occident) that maybe of help if you are serious about it and you are not just trolling.

Deuteronomy 7

I think you're confusing God with somebody else.....

Deuteronomy 7

Sounds like a Catholic.

Bet he was punished a lot by nuns.

Forum List

Back