If everyone is special, no one is special

jasendorf said:
I can agree that that is true... but is that due to the schooling or the parenting? When the kids go home and play gameboy all night... is that the teachers' or the schools' fault? I think not.

If the schools and teachers knew you wanted them to raise your kids for you, they would probably try...

It's schooling and parenting. Schooling because Dr Spock taught millions to raise ninnies. Eventually, said ninnies started running our schools.

jasendorf said:
What "rule" did she want changed? I see a "tradition" up there... are they one and the same?

And, while we're thinking about it... why would any system want to encourage students to slack off their final quarter?
Rules and tradition are not one and the same. However...

rule n.

2.An authoritative, prescribed direction for conduct, especially one of the regulations governing procedure in a legislative body or a regulation observed by the players in a game, sport, or contest.
3.The body of regulations prescribed by the founder of a religious order for governing the conduct of its members.
4.A usual, customary, or generalized course of action or behavior: “The rule of life in the defense bar ordinarily is to go along and get along” (Scott Turow).
5.A generalized statement that describes what is true in most or all cases: In this office, hard work is the rule, not the exception.

In this case, the traditional method of selecting v/s was highest avg at end of third qtr. Only AFTER this girl found out she wasn't s. did she go to the administration and raise a fuss. She didn't question the selection method BEFORE this time.

• Thanks
Reactions: dmp
mom4 said:

rule n.

2.An authoritative, prescribed direction for conduct, especially one of the regulations governing procedure in a legislative body or a regulation observed by the players in a game, sport, or contest.
3.The body of regulations prescribed by the founder of a religious order for governing the conduct of its members.
4.A usual, customary, or generalized course of action or behavior: “The rule of life in the defense bar ordinarily is to go along and get along” (Scott Turow).
5.A generalized statement that describes what is true in most or all cases: In this office, hard work is the rule, not the exception.

In this case, the traditional method of selecting v/s was highest avg at end of third qtr. Only AFTER this girl found out she wasn't s. did she go to the administration and raise a fuss. She didn't question the selection method BEFORE this time.

Can you use shorter and fewer words? It'll help the 'less fortunate' understand shit better and junk.

;)

:D

dmp said:
Makes me wonder if society is replacing 'wisdom' with 'education'. I'd say the WWII generation probably WAS less educated, but they sure were a lot better. Wiser. More integrity. Harder-working. Knew the value of a dollar and practiced things like honor, self-discipline, duty, service and junk.

:(
EXACTLY dmp. Plus, getting an "A" doesn't necessarily mean you know the material these days. My daughter STRUGGLES in math, has a hard time remembering multiplication/addition/etc. facts, a hard time grasping concepts. Just the other day, she told me she didn't know what 8+5 is; yet, she gets As & Bs in math... :(

dmp said:
Can you use shorter and fewer words? It'll help the 'less fortunate' understand shit better and junk.

;)

:D
How about this... instead of "rule," I'll put "rulz."

Better?

;)

mom4 said:
EXACTLY dmp. Plus, getting an "A" doesn't necessarily mean you know the material these days. My daughter STRUGGLES in math, has a hard time remembering multiplication/addition/etc. facts, a hard time grasping concepts. Just the other day, she told me she didn't know what 8+5 is; yet, she gets As & Bs in math... :(
I wasn't saying this to relieve myself of responsibility for her education. But it does make it harder to evaluate where she is in the learning process if she is bringing home As, yet doesn't know the material. It would be a big help to me if the teacher would FAIL her for not knowing the material; then I would know for sure what we need to work on.

mom4 said:

Guess your sister shouldn't have slacked off that final quarter then. If she hadn't, there would have been no question on the matter.

Sounds to me like your sister wanted some "tradition" to trump who the ACTUAL second smartest person in her class was. Sour grapes. Nothing more, nothing less. I loeve when conservatives get together and lament how someone ELSE kept them or someone they know from getting something.

jasendorf said:
Guess your sister shouldn't have slacked off that final quarter then. If she hadn't, there would have been no question on the matter.

Sounds to me like your sister wanted some "tradition" to trump who the ACTUAL second smartest person in her class was. Sour grapes. Nothing more, nothing less. I loeve when conservatives get together and lament how someone ELSE kept them or someone they know from getting something.

Dude - Have you seen that FedEx commercial?

The one where the guy is ALWAYS wrong?

YOU my friend are ALWAYS wrong. Do you TRY to be obtuse, or is it a gift?

Here a PERFECT example.

You are running a race. You cross the finishline ONLY to learn the finish line was MOVED after you crossed it, then stopped.

Who is the 'whiner' now, biatch? :)

mom4 said:

You can blame that on the parents who insist on "No Child Left Behind." The teachers stand up and say, "but your child is stupid and needs to repeat the grade" (ok, maybe not in quite those words) and the parents go ballistic... then they sue the school district, sue the teacher, sue the superintendent all for "embarrassing" their little Timmy by making him repeat what he failed to learn the first time around... then ignore their child's education for another year. Teachers are tired of parents who come barging into their classrooms once a quarter crying about their kid who brings a gameboy to school every day.

You want the teachers to be allowed to take back education... maybe get them one of those laws the republicans have for doctors which keeps people from suing them... where's the tort reform for teachers?

mom4 said:
How about this... instead of "rule," I'll put "rulz."

Better?

;)

Just because you interchange words with different meanings because you want some special treatment for your sister doesn't mean I can't see what the real problem is... you want "tradition" to trump realilty. Your sister didn't have the second highest GPA of the members of her senior class and now you're crying about it. If anything, the girl who had the second highest GPA got screwed by your sister... not the other way around.

jasendorf said:
Just because you interchange words with different meanings because you want some special treatment for your sister doesn't mean I can't see what the real problem is... you want "tradition" to trump realilty. Your sister didn't have the second highest GPA of the members of her senior class and now you're crying about it. If anything, the girl who had the second highest GPA got screwed by your sister... not the other way around.

How, I thought she was picked after her sister was picked, due to fourth quarter grades?

Did I miss something?

jasendorf said:

My baby sister has never "slacked off" in her entire life. She is a Type A superachiever. The other girl just managed to pull slightly ahead.

As for grade averages indicating IQ (or "smartness"), this is not always the case. I know for a fact that the valedictorian of my class, although "smart," cheated in some subjects. I SAW him doing it. My best friend was third in our class, yet I did better than she did on most of the standardized tests. Other factors, such as work ethic, illness, etc. can affect a person's grades. The standard method at the time was to take the highest avg at the end of third quarter. The other girl was the one who wanted to deviate from this standard in order to suit HER agenda.

Congratulations. I'm VERY hard to annoy, but you managed to do it. Now stop picking on my baby sister.

(See, roomy... I DO get mad! ;) )

dmp said:
Dude - Have you seen that FedEx commercial?

The one where the guy is ALWAYS wrong?

YOU my friend are ALWAYS wrong. Do you TRY to be obtuse, or is it a gift?

Here a PERFECT example.

You are running a race. You cross the finishline ONLY to learn the finish line was MOVED after you crossed it, then stopped.

Who is the 'whiner' now, biatch? :)

So, high school ends after the third quarter? Damn, now I see where the problem in schools are... right here with dmp and his low expectations of students to work through the whole year. I guess when all you expect of them is three-quarters worth of work, why would you expect them to be anything BUT lazy once they enter the work force?

jasendorf said:
So, high school ends after the third quarter? Damn, now I see where the problem in schools are... right here with dmp and his low expectations of students to work through the whole year. I guess when all you expect of them is three-quarters worth of work, why would you expect them to be anything BUT lazy once they enter the work force?

My end of year academic evaluation is based on marks aquired at the end of the fall semester. I dont' know why they do this, but it doesn't mean the year ends in December when I write my last exam.

How did this work when you were in school?

jasendorf said:
You can blame that on the parents who insist on "No Child Left Behind." The teachers stand up and say, "but your child is stupid and needs to repeat the grade" (ok, maybe not in quite those words) and the parents go ballistic... then they sue the school district, sue the teacher, sue the superintendent all for "embarrassing" their little Timmy by making him repeat what he failed to learn the first time around... then ignore their child's education for another year. Teachers are tired of parents who come barging into their classrooms once a quarter crying about their kid who brings a gameboy to school every day.

You want the teachers to be allowed to take back education... maybe get them one of those laws the republicans have for doctors which keeps people from suing them... where's the tort reform for teachers?
That isn't "No Child Left Behind"; that is the liberal "self-esteem" system at work.

jasendorf said:

I'm having trouble believing somebody can be so thick-headed.

(sigh).

As much as I could go on and on about a girl screwing another girl, I'll focus on the facts:

Fact 1: School AWARDS PRIZES (titles) At the CONCLUSION of the THIRD QUARTER. That is the Rule Of School. That's how they OPERATE. The DECISION on who get what is Determined WHEN? C'mon. Say it. UPON THE CONCLUSION OF THE THIRD QUARTER.

Fact 2: mom4's Sister was in SECOND PLACE - was awarded the SECOND PLACE title because at the TIME THE TITLE WAS GIVEN, she was in 2nd PLACE.

Fact 3: The other girl was NOT awarded a title because she was in THIRD.

Fact 4: AFTER the Judging was OVER - (Judging = deciding who gets what title) - AFTER that CONCLUDED (Concluded is very close in meaning to the word FINISHED), the girl's GPA when higher.

Fact 5: That girl whined and bitched AFTER THE FACT

Fact 6: The School CHANGED THEIR POLICY to protect that girl's FEELINGS - nevermind the fact they helped that girl lose part of her soul.

Dude - If you believe the situation was handled well, then you MUST be in support of the NFL overturning the Superbowl victory of the Steelers and sending the Trophy to the Seahawks. I mean, AFTER the deciding period was FINISHED it was CLEAR the seahawks played better; but were victims of bad-judgement calls on behalf of the officiating crew.

mom4 said:
My baby sister has never "slacked off" in her entire life. She is a Type A superachiever. The other girl just managed to pull slightly ahead.

As for grade averages indicating IQ (or "smartness"), this is not always the case. I know for a fact that the valedictorian of my class, although "smart," cheated in some subjects. I SAW him doing it. My best friend was third in our class, yet I did better than she did on most of the standardized tests. Other factors, such as work ethic, illness, etc. can affect a person's grades. The standard method at the time was to take the highest avg at the end of third quarter. The other girl was the one who wanted to deviate from this standard in order to suit HER agenda.

Congratulations. I'm VERY hard to annoy, but you managed to do it. Now stop picking on my baby sister.

(See, roomy... I DO get mad! ;) )

I know you're not deserving of my not so nice words... and I'm sorry for ticking you off... but I just wanted to show why schools are picking multiple valedictorians and salutorians. I'm certain your sister was worthy of her title as co-salutorian... but these are the issues schools are faced with every day. I find it interesting that a bunch of people who were just screaming about "mediocrity" and lowered expectations were now defending your sister even though she didn't have the second highest GPA at the end of the year.

Amazing how personal it becomes when it's the sister of someone you know on a message board... but teachers who deal with these kids every day are supposed to somehow be "more objkective"

jasendorf said:
I know you're not deserving of my not so nice words... and I'm sorry for ticking you off... but I just wanted to show why schools are picking multiple valedictorians and salutorians. I'm certain your sister was worthy of her title as co-salutorian... but these are the issues schools are faced with every day. I find it interesting that a bunch of people who were just screaming about "mediocrity" and lowered expectations were now defending your sister even though she didn't have the second highest GPA at the end of the year.

Amazing how personal it becomes when it's the sister of someone you know on a message board... but teachers who deal with these kids every day are supposed to somehow be "more objkective"

None of that makes any sense. I hope you don't procreate.

Forum List

Back