If everyone is special, no one is special

roomy said:
Of course.You don't in all honesty believe anyone could really be any dumber than you?But being as thick as you are, the question is moot.:confused:

Your wife is probably exhausted trying to teach you social skills, little wonder her work is suffering as a result, did you mention she had other children besides you?:slap:

Sorry.
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to roomy again.

I hate when they reward children for nothing. The kids who accomplish things should be rewarded and not feel as if what they did was on the same level as everyone else.

Otherwise, why should they excel? There has to be a payoff for great efforts that pay off.

Abbey Normal said:
As the author of this thread, I will take the privilege of telling you the "whole point of it". It is absurd and demoralizing to the real top student to award ten different people the title of Valedictorian, when you can easily differentiate between them academically.

Mom's sister wasn't asking to be elevated above someone who was ahead of her academcially. She was understandably upset when the school changed the rules after awarding her the title, based on her higher achievement at the time the claculations werre made.

If you still claim not see this distinction, it will be clear to me that you are, as you've state delsewhere, just taking what you perceive as the anti-Republican side, regardless of logic or facts.

Btw, since you are nitpicking between rules and tradition, ad nauseum, I'll make it really simple: the "rule" was based on "tradition".

Smart, Articulate women get me all hot and bothered....

:kiss2:

jillian said:
I hate when they reward children for nothing. The kids who accomplish things should be rewarded and not feel as if what they did was on the same level as everyone else.

Otherwise, why should they excel? There has to be a payoff for great efforts that pay off.

My daughter, in kindergarten then, was at a school festival. They had the kid games where the kid did something like from a carnival; Knocking down bottles, etc. - but here's the schtick - EVERY brat got a prize, whether they completed the task or not.

PISSED ME RIGHT OFF.

Older kids in the school would run the games; with a couple teachers every few booths. I wonder if you can imagine "WTF?" look on the faces of the kids when I'd tell them "No thanks - she didn't complete this game; she didn't get all the darts in that circle. No prize is needed", as they tried to offer a crappy toy to my daughter.

At first my daughter was really upset; until I explained if she WANTS the prize, she MUST complete the games. She didn't complete EVERY game, but in ALL her efforts were commendable.

:)

dmp said:
My daughter, in kindergarten then, was at a school festival. They had the kid games where the kid did something like from a carnival; Knocking down bottles, etc. - but here's the schtick - EVERY brat got a prize, whether they completed the task or not.

PISSED ME RIGHT OFF.

Older kids in the school would run the games; with a couple teachers every few booths. I wonder if you can imagine "WTF?" look on the faces of the kids when I'd tell them "No thanks - she didn't complete this game; she didn't get all the darts in that circle. No prize is needed", as they tried to offer a crappy toy to my daughter.

At first my daughter was really upset; until I explained if she WANTS the prize, she MUST complete the games. She didn't complete EVERY game, but in ALL her efforts were commendable.

D, you are the rare parent. How cool that you did that! If only those making these absurd feel-good rules would get it that we only really appreciate and grow from the things we work hard to achieve.

Abbey Normal said:
D, you are the rare parent. How cool that you did that! If only those making these absurd feel-good rules would get it that we only really appreciate and grow from the things we work hard to achieve.

Thanks toots - see? I love my kids enough to realize their immediate, present happiness is NOT better than the life-long Joy which will come from them NOT being a 'Ninny'.

:D

dmp said:
Thanks toots - see? I love my kids enough to realize their immediate, present happiness is NOT better than the life-long Joy which will come from them NOT being a 'Ninny'.

:D

and that is why your kids, average or above in 'gifts' will excel in life. It doesn't take hi IQ to succeed, but perseverance. Unfortunately this is a quality that is sucked out of most kids by 3rd grade. Parents complain about homework and self-esteem.

Kathianne said:
and that is why your kids, average or above in 'gifts' will excel in life. It doesn't take hi IQ to succeed, but perseverance. Unfortunately this is a quality that is sucked out of most kids by 3rd grade. Parents complain about homework and self-esteem.

When did all of this self-esteem stuff begin to eat away at education?

dmp said:

PISSED ME RIGHT OFF.

While I'm not sure a kindergartner's carnival is the place for it, I do think the lesson you taught was a good one. My son had a science fair at school, every kid who did a project got a certificate for "participation". I think that's fine. But when I asked my son if someone got a prize for best project, he said "no". That's where I think they went wrong. Some of the kids put in enormous effort, some didn't. There should have been extra recognition for the kids that put in the time.

What I will say is that where I live they no longer allow "social promotion" based on statewide tests in math and English. I think that's terrific. Kids shouldn't move on without basic skills. The flip side, however, is they now spend the year "teaching to the test", even in the G&T classes, instead of giving the kids in G&T the extra stuff they need to keep them interested.

roomy said:
Of course.You don't in all honesty believe anyone could really be any dumber than you?But being as thick as you are, the question is moot.:confused:

Your wife is probably exhausted trying to teach you social skills, little wonder her work is suffering as a result, did you mention she had other children besides you?:slap:
Pwn3d. It's great that he's so dumb he just walked right into it. Well played, sir.

jillian said:
The flip side, however, is they now spend the year "teaching to the test", even in the G&T classes, instead of giving the kids in G&T the extra stuff they need to keep them interested.

In a sense, "teaching to the test" is not bad. After all, if the state is testing to basic skills needed in adult life, and the teachers spend all year teaching that skill, that's great! The kids are learning the right skills! However, being a former G&T kid myself, I will say that there is a time and place where every kid should be taught over and above the minimum standards.

Not that this totally relates, but there are some levels where I think even participation is noteworthy. For example, the Intel Westinghouse Science Competition. If you get to that level in science, I don't care if you only got 10th, that's still amazing. Of course this is a very rare situation, and a lot of organizations have prescreening before you get to that level, so this is probably one out of only three times this applies.

Mr.Conley said:
Not that this totally relates, but there are some levels where I think even participation is noteworthy. For example, the Intel Westinghouse Science Competition. If you get to that level in science, I don't care if you only got 10th, that's still amazing. Of course this is a very rare situation, and a lot of organizations have prescreening before you get to that level, so this is probably one out of only three times this applies.
It does pertain. The really bright are able to pick up math and science at the very early levels-they can see the applications that the average can't.

You should SEE homogenous gifted classes! :shocked:

Math and Science Academy
University of Chicago Lab School
University of Illinois Lab School
Most of the 'Latin Schools'
Avery Cooley

I don't know about anyone else, but if I am getting a service from a supposedly educated person...I want the best on the job and not someone who graduated with the rest of the class and got their diploma because no one wanted them to feel bad.

Brain surgery might be a good example. If I have to have brain surgery, I want the best damn brain surgeon that can be had. I definitely do not want the brain surgeon that graduated with the rest of the class but has no clue how to perform brain surgery.

jillian said:
While I'm not sure a kindergartner's carnival is the place for it,

There's NO better place to love a child than where the child will learn the best lesson. Had I just 'let it go' she'd have missed a great opportunity to learn. :)

dmp said:
There's NO better place to love a child than where the child will learn the best lesson. Had I just 'let it go' she'd have missed a great opportunity to learn. :)

And it would have been that much harder to show her that lesson in the future.

5stringJeff said:
In a sense, "teaching to the test" is not bad. After all, if the state is testing to basic skills needed in adult life, and the teachers spend all year teaching that skill, that's great! The kids are learning the right skills! However, being a former G&T kid myself, I will say that there is a time and place where every kid should be taught over and above the minimum standards.

Yeah...I did the G&T, SP, AP and all that other stuff, too. lol... They definitely did some work beyond the minimum standards, and my boy's a pretty voracious learner, but I think they could have been way more creative with the kids had they not had the tests. His school is also exempt from the set curriculum because it's got good numbers and a low number of kids at an income level that would qualify them for hot lunch. But it's a bit of a double-edged sword since that means we also don't get Title I funding.

dmp said:

No question. If you notice, I didn't say I disagreed with what you did. I said I wasn't *certain* about the forum. But the lesson? Absolutely a good one.

jillian said:
No question. If you notice, I didn't say I disagreed with what you did. I said I wasn't *certain* about the forum. But the lesson? Absolutely a good one.

Why weren't you certain about the forum?

Forum List

Back