If everyone is special, no one is special

Discussion in 'Education' started by Abbey Normal, Jun 7, 2006.

1. Abbey Normal

Abbey Normal Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +391
    My daughter's high school held graduation ceremonies last weekend, and I learned that they had 10 valedictorians!

Has anyone heard of this happening? Is this part of the trend to make everyone feel special, like handing out soccer trophies to the losing team? I find it hard to believe that none of these 10 students could be differentiated academically.

2. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    Yeah, my oldest cousin was supposed to be the valedictorian at her high school graduation (about 8 years ago), but that didn't set quite right with one of the teachers, whose daughter was about 3rd in the race, so they assigned multiple valedictorians based solely on unweighted GPA. Far cry from the graduation in a school in North Carolina (link coming). They weren't even allowed to wear their honor cords.

3. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    When I graduated high school (in 94), we had this, but they called it the Top 10. It was just too hard on the smart students for just one person to be the top, see, so they had 10. :rolleyes:

4. manu1959

manu1959 Left Coast Isolationist

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,626
    you were no 1 though huh?

you are what my family calls creepy smart....highest compliment:beer:

5. Hobbit

Hobbit Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +421
    THERE CAN BE ONLY ONE!!!

[​IMG]

6. Mr.Conley

Mr.Conley Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +116
    It's stories like this one that make me realize how lucky I was to escape the public school system.

7. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    At our high school, the tradition was to take the top average at the end of the third quarter, and that person would be valedictorian. At the end of the third quarter of her senior year, my baby sister was salutatorian, by fractions of a percentage point. The girl who was third in the class was having a hard time accepting this. By the end of the fourth quarter, she had pulled her average up to surpass my sister's by one tenth of a percentage point. Just days before the ceremony, the administration called my sister and told her she wasn't salutatorian. She had her speech written & everything.

It turned into a big stink, because the other girl HAD managed to get a higher average in the end; however, the valedictorian/salutatorian had always been named at the end of the third quarter in the past. They ended up allowing my sister to give the speech, but they named the other girl co-salutatorian.

What's upsetting to me is that this girl felt the rules should be changed just to suit her. :(

8. Nienna

Nienna Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +333
    BTW, ours was a private, Catholic school.

9. CSM

CSM Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +708
    Mediocrity...that is what education is all about these days.

10. jasendorf

jasendorf Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +76
    Yeah... because this is only happening in public schools:

http://www.the-tidings.com/2006/0602/valedictorians.htm
    http://www.newsargus.com/news/archi..._schools_will_honor_class_of_2006/index.shtml
    Where's the outrage over a graduating class of SIXTEEN having co-valedictorians?

Schools are tired of great students getting screwed on college applications because of the valedictorian label. Public High Schools tend to have much larger graduating classes than their private counterparts. In turn, while valedictorians who are first in a group of 40 kids get the same special "valedictorian" treatment by colleges as someone who is first in a group of 400 kids. Add to that the gaming of the system by kids who take 3 study halls their senior year (like my class' valedictorian in 1989) and guys like me who took AP Calculus and AP Physics and got B's instead of A's)... it's stupid.

Saw our class valedictorian at our ten year reunion... he's an HVAC salesman... our salutorian... a doctor. The titles mean almost nothing anyways... so why not help your students get a leg up on the parents and students who are gaming the system?