Idea On Voting In Federal Elections, Do You Agree?

Independentthinker

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2015
I was posting in a thread and my light bulb came on for a voting proposal, which is this:

First, you have to be 18 or older and a US citizen, as well as some other restrictions already on the books. Second, you can only vote in federal elections if you pay federal income taxes. This seems fair to me since a large part of what we are voting for is in how our tax dollars are spent, so, only those actually paying those taxes should decide how they are spent. Those paying no federal income taxes shouldn't get a say in how the tax dollars paid by tax payers is spent.

This should please leftists because they claim many of the rich don't pay federal income taxes or that the rich don't pay their fair share, leaving the voting mostly in the hands of the tax payers who are paying the taxes (the little guys), right?

I was posting in a thread and my light bulb came on for a voting proposal, which is this:

First, you have to be 18 or older and a US citizen, as well as some other restrictions already on the books. Second, you can only vote in federal elections if you pay federal income taxes. This seems fair to me since a large part of what we are voting for is in how our tax dollars are spent, so, only those actually paying those taxes should decide how they are spent. Those paying no federal income taxes shouldn't get a say in how the tax dollars paid by tax payers is spent.

This should please leftists because they claim many of the rich don't pay federal income taxes or that the rich don't pay their fair share, leaving the voting mostly in the hands of the tax payers who are paying the taxes (the little guys), right?
In other words, ignore our Constitution's Twenty-Sixth Amendment?

Spoken like a true right-winger.

Hey, it's your side who is wanting to tell secretaries of state elections to not have Trump on the ballot, suppressing the votes so that your side wins. When our country was first formed, only land owners were allowed to vote because they were the ones paying the taxes.

Nope.

18 years old and a citizen are the only requirements needed.

Hey, it's your side who is wanting to tell secretaries of state elections to not have Trump on the ballot, suppressing the votes so that your side wins. When our country was first formed, only land owners were allowed to vote because they were the ones paying the taxes.
My side? You were the retard that brought up the issue of suppressing voters.

Trumptards. Love to dish out nonsense but will run when called to account. :itsok:

Put that into the Left wing dictatorial suggestion box.

I'm sure they will get right on it.

I like that idea, but the democrats don't.
We're trying to get a Constitutional Convention. That would make an interesting amendment.
The left should all be for this idea because they claim the rich pay no federal income taxes so they wouldn't be allowed to vote, just what the leftists want. Surely the left would be for this proposal.

The left should all be for this idea because they claim the rich pay no federal income taxes so they wouldn't be allowed to vote, just what the leftists want. Surely the left would be for this proposal.
The Left could not possibly be any happier than with the way things are now.

My side? You were the retard that brought up the issue of suppressing voters.

Trumptards. Love to dish out nonsense but will run when called to account. :itsok:
Ummmmmmmmmmmmm, you are the guys wanting secretaries of state to keep Trump off the ballots in their states, even if Trump is the nominee. Talk about vote suppression on a huge scale.

Put that into the Left wing dictatorial suggestion box.

I'm sure they will get right on it.
It's an idea that they should actually go for since they claim the rich don't pay taxes, then the rich would get no votes.

IMG_0035.png

That's an idea, but not a good one. In order to get more people to buy in, you have to include PAYROLL taxes (SS and Medicare). Almost half of American citizens pay NO F.I.T., and you can't disenfranchise half the country. But you could argue that if you are not working, you don't get to vote. This would disenfranchise a lot of retired people, but who cares.

The second requirement would be that you have to pass the same simple Civics test that applicants for U.S. citizenship have to pass in order to be naturalized - IN ENGLISH!.

So, people on Social Security who don't pay federal taxes couldn't vote?

Just FYI...

If you are single and earn over $25,000 you begin paying Federal Income Tax on 50% of SS Benefits.

If you are married and file jointly and earn over $32,000 (combined) you begin paying Federal Income Tax on 50% of SS Benefits.

WW

That's right up there with our old: You must be a property owner to vote.

Where did Independentthinker advocate anything that is contrary to the Twenty-Sixth Amendment? All that that Amendment does is to specify the voting age as eighteen, and to prohibiting requiring anyone to be older than that as a condition of voting.

Forum List

Back