"I will repeal Obamacare" Mitt Romney

It's a tax. I don't see how people fail to understand that. It's the exact same thing as levying a tax of $600 per person, then giving a $600 tax credit to people who have health insurance.

It is, but I'm adamantly opposed to tax incentive/credits as well. For exactly the same reasons.

What are the key differences between RomneyCare and ObamaCare?

It is often asserted that RomneyCare is the same thing as ObamaCare, but this is simply not true. While there are similarities, there are also key differences. Below is a table of differences between the Romney plan and the Obama plan.

RomneyCare – The Truth about Massachusetts Health Care | Mitt Romney Central

This is a truly bizarre bit of cognitive dissonance.

RomneyCare is nothing like socialized medicine or a government takeover. In fact, Romneycare empowers and strengthens the private market by requiring people to purchase health insurance plans from private insurance companies, and there is no government plan or public option. It is significant to note that nearly all major private insurance companies and hospitals supported Gov. Romney’s healthcare bill in 2006. Also, according to FactCheck.org, some of the most strident critics of Romney’s plan are the groups that support socialized medicine.

It is intriguing that Reagan himself was considering a plan where the government subsidizes the premiums for citizens to buy private health insurance. That is RomneyCare at its core; help those who cannot buy insurance by having the government pay all or part of their premiums, thus encouraging people to use private health insurance companies and not government health insurance. I find the two plans remarkably similar. Would Reagan have liked every aspect of RomneyCare? Probably not (and neither did Romney), but the core of RomneyCare, where the government helps citizens buy private insurance by paying for their premiums, is undoubtedly something Reagan would have been very supportive of.

Unlike many Democrats, Romney believes in free market solutions to solve this problem. A government takeover of healthcare or more regulations of the healthcare industry will be counterproductive and inefficient.

The issue with me is that Romneycare is a state mandate, and obamacare is a federal mandate. That is a HUGE difference in my eyes.

The issue with me is that Romneycare is a state mandate, and obamacare is a federal mandate. That is a HUGE difference in my eyes.

I don't see a significant difference. Technically, it's likely constitutional at the state level (depends on the state's constitution), but ethically it's the same issue. Forcing people to do business with an industry that successfully lobbied the state for such favors is corrupt government, regardless of the jurisdiction.

Then what?

See: Snapshots: Health Care Spending in the United States & Selected OECD Countries - Kaiser Family Foundation

The Democrats pushed health care reform for a reason, the cost to individuals, business and government was putting a drag on the economy and individuals stood to lose everything they worked years for when a catastrophic illness or injury occurred.

Costs are going up with Obamacare. Stop lying to yourself and then coming on boards and pretending that you're spouting some sort of truth.

Then what?

See: Snapshots: Health Care Spending in the United States & Selected OECD Countries - Kaiser Family Foundation

The Democrats pushed health care reform for a reason, the cost to individuals, business and government was putting a drag on the economy and individuals stood to lose everything they worked years for when a catastrophic illness or injury occurred.

Does anyone know or care that the cost of education increased more, way more than the cost of insurance?

Liberal policies cause that. All that free money.

So why do liberals hate the poor, who get free hc?

It's a tax. I don't see how people fail to understand that. It's the exact same thing as levying a tax of $600 per person, then giving a $600 tax credit to people who have health insurance.

It is, but I'm adamantly opposed to tax incentive/credits as well. For exactly the same reasons.

I know you are, but that doesn't change what it is. I don't like pork (as in the meat), but that doesn't stop it from being considered food.

I don't see a significant difference. Technically, it's likely constitutional at the state level (depends on the state's constitution), but ethically it's the same issue. Forcing people to do business with an industry that successfully lobbied the state for such favors is corrupt government, regardless of the jurisdiction.

This is why I can respect you, even though I don't agree with you on the issue. If requiring people is an affront to liberty when the federal government does it, it is also an affront to liberty when a state does it as well. While I disagree with your characterization, I think your argument does have the advantage of being consistent.

I'm under the impression that the people of that state were able to vote in the initiative. That's a big difference in my opinion.

Now it's a tax? really?

Obama said it was not a tax very very specifically because the bill would not have passed if it raised taxes one penny!! Now he is 100% stuck, thank God!!

Now it's a tax? really?

Shhh!.. it's a penalty.

Except when it's not.

It's a tax. I don't care about the partisan rancor, I care about what the thing actually is.

It is not a tax, its a fine/penalty for NOT buying a product from a private company.

Forcing me to buy health insurance from a private insurance company, who can't legally sell insurance across state lines, on the basis of having power under the interstate commerce clause is also a sham.

This is a truly bizarre bit of cognitive dissonance.

RomneyCare is nothing like socialized medicine or a government takeover. In fact, Romneycare empowers and strengthens the private market by requiring people to purchase health insurance plans from private insurance companies, and there is no government plan or public option. It is significant to note that nearly all major private insurance companies and hospitals supported Gov. Romney’s healthcare bill in 2006. Also, according to FactCheck.org, some of the most strident critics of Romney’s plan are the groups that support socialized medicine.
It is intriguing that Reagan himself was considering a plan where the government subsidizes the premiums for citizens to buy private health insurance. That is RomneyCare at its core; help those who cannot buy insurance by having the government pay all or part of their premiums, thus encouraging people to use private health insurance companies and not government health insurance. I find the two plans remarkably similar. Would Reagan have liked every aspect of RomneyCare? Probably not (and neither did Romney), but the core of RomneyCare, where the government helps citizens buy private insurance by paying for their premiums, is undoubtedly something Reagan would have been very supportive of.
Unlike many Democrats, Romney believes in free market solutions to solve this problem. A government takeover of healthcare or more regulations of the healthcare industry will be counterproductive and inefficient.

But that isn't the difference being highlighted in those quotes.

We're told RomneyCare isn't "socialized medicine" or a "government takeover" specifically because it "strengthens the private market by requiring people to purchase health insurance plans from private insurance companies, and there is no government plan or public option." This, of course, is exactly what the ACA does.

We hear that Reagan would've loved Romney because it would "help those who cannot buy insurance by having the government pay all or part of their premiums." The same is true of the ACA.

If Romney "believes in free market solutions" and Romneycare was his solution, it follows that the Democrats who supported the ACA are also believers in free market solutions.

The difference is Massachusettes is a state and the residents of that state have a right to decide what kind of insurance they want to have. They can vote for legislators that promise to give them the kind of insurance they want to have. If you don't like it, go to another state.

If Romney "believes in free market solutions" and Romneycare was his solution, it follows that the Democrats who supported the ACA are also believers in free market solutions.

And if Romney is a corporatist who's full of shit ...

The difference is Massachusettes is a state and the residents of that state have a right to decide what kind of insurance they want to have. They can vote for legislators that promise to give them the kind of insurance they want to have. If you don't like it, go to another state.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LQX4QkSP5Cs]The Left hits Romney over lying about individual mandate - YouTube[/ame]

What ever happened to repeal and replace?

Republicans are advocating repeal and go fuck yourself

That's the best plan I've heard so far.

Government gets into a private issue like health care; fucks it up with regulations and tax incentives; then come riding in on the white horse with a "solution" to the problem that they created. Liberals see this as progress.....:cuckoo:

Forum List

Back