I was soul searching this morning about racial equality

You mean the military isn't filled with poor black men who are out of options?

I am not sure what it means...just as I am not sure what the fuss is really about. And how come this is on the military board...it's about race.

Yo intense...I am having problems reaching the politics forum admin. I had a thread moved yesterday and now I can't access it. I had a request from member"Wave" to review one of his threads and could not access it. Could not send message to him. Have I been sent to time out???

I did some bouncing around on this issue on population data and overall data on blacks in the military.

Seems that blacks make up about 14% of the population, and about 12 or so % of the military. So I would argue that the data you presented is not out of the ball park of national averages based on population and percentages of deaths by race in the current War.

While they are lower in death rates than whites they aren't many % points below the law of averages on the overall picture. I'm not seeing it the way you are applying.

Yes...but blacks are 14 percent of the population and 8 percent of the deaths. Whites are 75 percent and 83 percent respectively. Maybe Obabble would have had less chance of dying in Iraq than George Z had...

Maybe, but my data didn't include the early years of the war, which had even a less percentage of blacks serving.

I served and we had even less percentages of blacks than the data implies. On the battlefield, race be damned to an enemy bullet. They will kill any and all of the other side.

What your are seeing is more the shooters, the actual combat troops who are getting killed.

Blacks are going to seen more in the support services.

Three additional points regarding African American enlistment are worthy of note. First, even in the Army, African Americans in the volunteer force are more likely to enlist in administrative, medical, and support specialties rather than in combat specialties.3 In the context of current combat operations in Iraq, these differences are not as important as they would be in a conventional war: In Iraq, there is no front line, and all military personnel are potential combatants

Army Recruitment Goals Endangered as Percent of African American Enlistees Declines - Population Reference Bureau

Among more hardcore infantry fighting forces in the Marines and Army they are much fewer. Among special operations, they are even more rare---as most are lilly-White.

What should be done to correct this?

Yes...but blacks are 14 percent of the population and 8 percent of the deaths. Whites are 75 percent and 83 percent respectively. Maybe Obabble would have had less chance of dying in Iraq than George Z had...

I'm not sure the point you're trying to prove with this thread, or how it equates to soul searching. But "Obama", as most people usually call him, probably wouldn't have THAT much less of a chance of being killed.

Forum List

Back