Obama considering war in Syria

• Banned
Nope. I refuse to cheer on an imperialist army bullying another nation. Only idiots would cheer this on...this government has armed Al Qaida just like it did in Libya then wondered why in the hell our Ambassador was murdered...we have complete morons running the show..or maybe that's the whole point of it all...

• Banned
You'll cheer for Syria when my son and nephew and 2 cousins are there being shot at?

Yes. They should leave the military,go to Canada,obtain conscientious objector status. They should not fight for the imperialist military's goal of over throwing an elected president. But hey its worked so well in Iraq and Libya....why not go for another "threat" to Israel...that's where they should be going to war at...

You'll cheer for Syria when my son and nephew and 2 cousins are there being shot at?

Yes. They should leave the military,go to Canada,obtain conscientious objector status. They should not fight for the imperialist military's goal of over throwing an elected president. But hey its worked so well in Iraq and Libya....why not go for another "threat" to Israel...that's where they should be going to war at...

Traitor.

U.S. Preparing For Military Action In Syria, Top U.S. General Says - Liberty Crier
All I got to say is I hope it doesn't happen it would be a shame for American men and women to die for Israeli/US zionist interests in a war that has absolutely nothing to do with us.I will cheer for Syria 100%.

I'm not sure if the American interests can be nailed down simply to Israel and Zionist interests. Though you're right that Syria has been a long time enemy of Israel. Our decision to get involved is certainly not about the actual Syrian citizens. Our involvement would be a proxy war, fighting against Iran and Hezbollah moreso than against the Assad regime. What's ridiculous is that we didn't care about the first 90,000 deaths, but all of the sudden Assad supposedly uses chemical weapons and now the issue is serious? Now we care? The truth is, Obama trapped himself in a corner on this issue, and had to either keep his word that chemical weapons was the "red line", or he would appear weak and unreliable.

Why support the rebels anyways? Surely some of them are upstanding citizens that simply want the conflict to come to an end, but many are indeed terrorist or extremist groups that are trying to take advantage of the situation. Not a week goes by without some sort of ethnic cleansing they perform, Sunni vs. Shia, and I don't see how we can send weapons to such factions. It'll just be another 1980s Afghanistan-Russia type conflict that we will ultimately regret.

Traitor.

Traitor? A man can choose not to support a war and yet still support the troops; it's not the same thing. Just because I didn't like the Iraq War or Afghanistan War doesn't mean I'm going to cheer whenever I read the list of fallen soldiers in the New York Times. "Traitor" is a word people throw around far too often these days in my opinion.

Traitor.

Traitor? A man can choose not to support a war and yet still support the troops; it's not the same thing. Just because I didn't like the Iraq War or Afghanistan War doesn't mean I'm going to cheer whenever I read the list of fallen soldiers in the New York Times. "Traitor" is a word people throw around far too often these days in my opinion.

He said he would be cheering Syria. That means he is against the military, and hence not supporting the troops.

He said he would be cheering Syria. That means he is against the military, and hence not supporting the troops.

Is a man not allowed to cheer somebody who he feels is on the right side of a conflict? Sounds to me like freedom of speech. I was simply stating that supporting a war and supporting the troops are not the same thing, not necessarily that everyone MUST support the troops. Hell, we're not always the good guys. I'm sure he meant nothing personal towards your particular family members who serve, but it's fair to say our military has had some blunders over the years. Syria could be another one. Should we instead cheer whenever our soldiers kill Syrian civilians? Or Syrian soldiers? Personally, I don't think we should cheer at a damn thing that involves human death or suffering. It's all a tragedy.

The fact of the matter is, AnCap is right. The ruling elites are doing things for the financial elites, the corporate elites, the military-industrial complex, and the Zionist lobby. They AREN'T doing these things for the American people. If they were, they would discuss policy out in the open. They aren't. The press is distracting us with every story you can think of under the sun. And truthfully? None of these stories are worth a damn.

This issue and the spiraling debt and crippling budget crises we're in are the two biggest political issues this nation is facing right now. How many threads do we see on this forum about either of them currently? One issue could lead us into WWIII, the other could lead to a Second Revolutionary War. But the MSM has completely distracted the average low information citizen. And now, Congress is going home till September, no closer to solving the financial/budgetary mess, and on the other hand, letting the Administration have free reign to play war in the middle east.

For Congress, ‘it’s classified’ is new equivalent of ‘none of your business’

WASHINGTON — The Senate Select Committee on Intelligence reportedly gave its approval last week to an Obama administration plan to provide weapons to moderate rebels in Syria, but how individual members of the committee stood on the subject remains unknown.

There was no public debate and no public vote when one of the most contentious topics in American foreign policy was decided – outside of the view of constituents, who oppose the president’s plan to aid the rebels by 54 percent to 37 percent, according to a Gallup Poll last month.

In fact, ask individual members of the committee, who represent 117 million people in 14 states, how they stood on the plan to use the CIA to funnel weapons to the rebels and they are likely to respond with the current equivalent of “none of your business:” It’s classified.

Those were, in fact, the words Sen. Dianne Feinstein, D-Calif., chair of the committee, used when asked a few days before the approval was granted to clarify her position for her constituents. She declined. It’s a difficult situation, she said. And, “It’s classified.”

“The government works because of a chain of oversight,” Harper said. “Secrecy gets in there and it breaks those chains. So the public can’t oversee Congress. Congress can’t oversee the executive branch. Within executive branch agencies, oversight breaks down. It’s utterly corrosive of democratic processes that we otherwise take for granted.”

Refusing to state an opinion on a classified matter robs people of the chance to objectively assess whether an elected official is representing their interests.

“Nobody’s opinion is classified,” said Aftergood. “There may be specific facts or details of either military operations or intelligence sources that are properly classified, but one’s opinion about current events or about preferred outcomes is absolutely not classified.

“And to say that it is is disingenuous or dishonest.”

Read more here: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2013/07/30/198097/for-congress-its-classified-is.html#storylink=cpy

Some back ground. . .

Iran to send 4,000 troops to aid President Assad forces in Syria

Washington’s decision to arm Syria’s Sunni Muslim rebels has plunged America into the great Sunni-Shia conflict of the Islamic Middle East, entering a struggle that now dwarfs the Arab revolutions which overthrew dictatorships across the region.

For the first time, all of America’s ‘friends’ in the region are Sunni Muslims and all of its enemies are Shiites. Breaking all President Barack Obama’s rules of disengagement, the US is now fully engaged on the side of armed groups which include the most extreme Sunni Islamist movements in the Middle East.

The Independent on Sunday has learned that a military decision has been taken in Iran – even before last week’s presidential election – to send a first contingent of 4,000 Iranian Revolutionary Guards to Syria to support President Bashar al-Assad’s forces against the largely Sunni rebellion that has cost almost 100,000 lives in just over two years. Iran is now fully committed to preserving Assad’s regime, according to pro-Iranian sources which have been deeply involved in the Islamic Republic’s security, even to the extent of proposing to open up a new ‘Syrian’ front on the Golan Heights against Israel.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/middle-east/iran-to-send-4000-troops-to-aid-president-assad-forces-in-syria-8660358.html

More recent developments. . .

US Military Intervention In Syria Could Start In Jordan

For the last two years, the bloody conflict in Syria has careened toward a tipping point.

Ladies and Gentlemen, we may be there.

The timing of this is a little bit crazy:

A deputy national security advisor has announced that the White House believes the Bashar al-Assad regime used chemical weapons against the rebels in Syria.

The Pentagon has proposed a plan that would arm and train the rebels, as well as instill a limited no-fly zone over Syria.

And 4,500 U.S. forces are a stone throw away, in Jordan, conducting a training exercise with Jordanian forces.

President Obama said last year that if Syrian president Bashar al Assad used chemical weapons, it would be a “red line” that would precipitate direct U.S. intervention in the conflict.

“That would change my calculus,” Obama said. “That would change my equation.”

Presumably the situation in Syria now meets the criteria for U.S. military intervention.

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/us-military-syria-chemicals-no-fly-2013-6#ixzz2arBMIgtO

And probably the MOST important article you can read on the topic:

Syrian “Opposition” Prepares Political and Military August / September Campaign
http://nsnbc.me/2013/07/07/syrian-opposition-prepares-political-and-military-august-september/

Palestinian Intelligence Source Indicates Build-Up for Military Campaign in August – September 2013. An nsnbc source with close ties to the intelligence service of a Syria – based Palestinian faction reports, that there are strong indications for a preparation of a renewed military campaign against Syria in August or September 2013, and that it is highly probable, that Western, Arab and Israeli Forces will be playing an active role. The current, relative calm in Syria is reportedly deceptive and tied to attempts to increase the different insurgents forces and militia´s interoperability, communication, and the attempt to build a more centralized command and liaison structure.

PKK-Troops-Photo-James-Gordon.jpg

PKK Troops, Photo James Gordon

Iraq: Reportedly, more than 17.000, battle-hardened, well-armed PKK fighters, which have recently withdrawn from Turkey are ready to deploy to Syria from the Kurdish administrated Iraqi region near Irbil on short notice. Analysts have predicted the evolution of a Kurdish front through Iraq since peace negotiations between the Turkish administration of Prime Minister Erdogan and PKK leader Öcalan indicated that the PKK would withdraw from Turkish territory.

There are also reports about increased al-Qaeda activities in the Iraqi – Syrian border region. Many of the al-Qaeda-linked insurgents are coming from Saudi-Arabia, and are crossing into Iraq along well established smuggling routes in the Anbar province.

On Saturday, border patrols from the army of Iraq eliminated four prominent al-Qaeda leaders and arrested four others, who were attempting to infiltrate into Syria through the al-Qaem area in the al-Anbar province. Four SUVs were destroyed, several car bombs were dismantled. Iraqi border patrols also uncovered a weapons cache and a workshop for car bombs in the Lazqa valley, near the Syrian border.

Jordan: Although official reports state, that no more than 700 or 1.000 U.S. troops have remained stationed in Jordan after the end of the annual, 19 nations military exercises in the Hashemite Kingdom, the actual number of U.S. troops, including special forces, is reportedly significantly higher, and may be as high as 2.500 in addition to those who remained to service the U.S.´s Partiot Missile Systems in Jordan and the remaining F-16 fighter jets, their pilots and necessary maintenance and logistics crew.

After the end of the Eager Lion exercises, U.S. President Obama stated:

“Our troops will stay there, until the security situation has changes so much, that their presence is no longer needed”.

• Thanks
Reactions: Jos

Forum List

Back