I want a logical argument from the left for why this man's point of view is wrong.

All poor people purchase things and pay sales tax. That doesn't make them a net benefit to the economy.
It also does not make them a net drain over their lifetimes, which is a point you are assuming as true but have yet to support.

And, even if that were the case, so what? The value of a human life is not determined by its net contribution to an economy.

Last edited:
Our labor force needs these workers right now.

I feel like this statement on its own is nonsense. I'm willing to be proven wrong. We do not need more immigrants. I know not all farmers can afford them, but check this out...

Technology is rapidly removing the need for the human element, and that truth will be just as multiplicative as technology itself. Bringing unskilled labor here is a mistake, even if you think their kids can do alright a couple decades later.

If what you say is true -- that you are willing to be proven wrong and welcome new information -- then take some time to research our labor shortage. The facts show that we need more laborers, both skilled and unskilled. These accepted facts demonstrate quite clearly that you are wrong. If this evidence doesn't sway you from your incorrect position, then none will, and you are not being honest.

It also does not make them a net drain over their lifetimes

Yeah, I'm sure some of them are smart and will be successful, but most of them won't be. Poor people tend to stay poor. Their kids tend to be poor too. I know there are a million reasons for that, but it's true, and right now we do not need more poor people. The need for labor is rapidly disappearing and it will only disappear more and more rapidly as technology improves.

I feel like this statement on its own is nonsense. I'm willing to be proven wrong. We do not need more immigrants. I know not all farmers can afford them, but check this out...

Technology is rapidly removing the need for the human element, and that truth will be just as multiplicative as technology itself. Bringing unskilled labor here is a mistake, even if you think their kids can do alright a couple decades later.

If what you say is true -- that you are willing to be proven wrong and welcome new information -- then take some time to research our labor shortage. The facts show that we need more laborers, both skilled and unskilled. These accepted facts demonstrate quite clearly that you are wrong. If this evidence doesn't sway you from your incorrect position, then none will, and you are not being honest.

You really don't see that we are on the verge of a boom in technology that will drastically reduce the need for manual labor, especially in first world countries? If you have any stats you care to show me I'll look at them, but I doubt put into context anything you offer will change the truth of what I'm saying. Bringing in millions and millions of poor people will not prove beneficial to us.

Poor people tend to stay poor.
And, as all the facts show, immigrants buck this trend more so than does the average American. And you seem to think that all "poor" people( a concept you have yet mustered up the energy and/or courage to define, as your definition will be subject to much scrutiny) are a net drain. This is simply not so. Nearly every penny of assistance they are given is put right back into the economy. That county hospital down the road that sees indigent patients and Medicaid patients? As it turns out, those doctors and nurses get paid and spend their money.

The unskilled labor they perform? It allows for goods that Americans can afford, allowing them to spend the savings elsewhere and to enjoy a better standard of living.

Your absolutism on this is simply not an accurate representation of reality.

Last edited:
You really don't see that we are on the verge of a boom in technology that will drastically reduce the need for manual labor, especially in first world countries?
This is a boilerplate talking point, and one no more or less valid than 70, 60, 50, and 40 years ago. People said the same thing 30 years ago...and then we gave millions of immigrants amnesty, because a team of expert economists managed to convince a conservative -- using the overwhelming preponderance of evidence in their favor -- that is was in America's best economic interest to do so.

And, if we are going to now switch lanes to talking about the future, I would direct you back to the fact that children of immigrants outperform the average American child in terms of education, entrepreneurialism, and upward mobility.

So, if you want to change lanes to talking about 10 or 20 years from now...please, be my guest. As it turns out, the children of immigrants are going to be more valuable to our economy,on average, than the crackerettes being churned out in the Bible belt. It's a demonstrable fact.

Last edited:

You really don't see that we are on the verge of a boom in technology that will drastically reduce the need for manual labor, especially in first world countries? If you have any stats you care to show me I'll look at them, but I doubt put into context anything you offer will change the truth of what I'm saying. Bringing in millions and millions of poor people will not prove beneficial to us.

When there are no jobs for them, they will stop coming. Simple math. They DO NOT come here to get free shit. That is a lie that you have bought.

When there are no jobs for them, they will stop coming. Simple math. They DO NOT come here to get free shit. That is a lie that you have bought.

They come here to exploit us.

more so than does the average American.

Right, but the trend is still the trend, meaning most of them, and their kids, will stay poor.

And you seem to think that all "poor" people( a concept you have yet mustered up the energy and/or courage to define, as your definition will be subject to much scrutiny) are a net drain. This is simply not so. Nearly every penny of assistance they are given is put right back into the economy. That county hospital down the road that sees indigent patients? As it turns out, those doctors and nurses get paid and spend their money.

During a time of economic strife it is not a smart move to bring in millions of financially unstable immigrants.

The unskilled labor they perform?

Is being replaced by technology at a jaw dropping rate, to the point that they'll probably be completely unneeded within a couple of decades.

They DO NOT come here to get free shit. That is a lie that you have bought.

Of course they do, and I would too if I were them. I get why they do what they do. Nobody in America starves, and even the uninsured can go to the ER and get life saving treatment without question. This place is better than where they came from, obviously. Unfortunately it can only stay better by not letting everybody stick their finger in the pie.

more so than does the average American.

Right, but the trend is still the trend, meaning most of them, and their kids, will stay poor.

And you seem to think that all "poor" people( a concept you have yet mustered up the energy and/or courage to define, as your definition will be subject to much scrutiny) are a net drain. This is simply not so. Nearly every penny of assistance they are given is put right back into the economy. That county hospital down the road that sees indigent patients? As it turns out, those doctors and nurses get paid and spend their money.

During a time of economic strife it is not a smart move to bring in millions of financially unstable immigrants.

The unskilled labor they perform?

Is being replaced by technology at a jaw dropping rate, to the point that they'll probably be completely unneeded within a couple of decades.

Ok so tell me what jobs are being replaced by technology at a jaw dropping rate?

Outside of McDonald's.

Of course they do, and I would too if I were them. I get why they do what they do. Nobody in America starves, and even the uninsured can go to the ER and get life saving treatment without question. This place is better than where they came from, obviously. Unfortunately it can only stay better by not letting everybody stick their finger in the pie.

They come for jobs. Period.

They come for jobs. Period.

Yes, if you count human trafficking and drug smuggling as *jobs*.

Why do we let in millions of immigrants every year if they're not useful to our technologically advancing economy and we're not under the impression we are making a difference in the world?

It doesn't really matter. You posted this thread challenging other people to point out the logical flaws in the video's arguments. As it turns out, the video doesn't say much in the first place, but you were the one who was flawed. You have misunderstood key aspects of the video's claims, at least partially based on your own lack of knowledge about legal immigration generally, or current US immigration policy and the reasons our laws exist as they currently exist.

For the purposes of the OP, the requested burden has been met. Your search to justify your position supporting the elimination of legal immigration will have to continue. "I don't know why we do it" won't be a meaningful reason for that position--that fault in logic is known as "argument to ignorance."

If you want to better understand the reasons for current legal immigration practices then you'll have to do your own homework. I'll give you a head start. For thousands of years immigration has always been a multi-pronged question. Mutually amicable immigration policies have long been a core feature of positive international relations. Additionally immigration has always tended to yield economic benefits on the whole. Humans are inherently migratory, with migratory behavior predating the homo sapiens species. Immigration has been a universal fact of human societies since pre-history. Having legal mechanisms for immigration has always been a much more effective policy than futilely trying to prevent it altogether.

Ok so tell me what jobs are being replaced by technology at a jaw dropping rate?

Outside of McDonald's.

When Mcdonald's, Burger King and Taco Bell start laying off shitloads of people it is relevant because those uneducated Americans need somewhere to go work. Their options are made more limited by the fact that the amount of human jobs is shrinking and legal/illegal immigrants are taking a bunch of the manual labor jobs. It's not just fast food either. Self-driving vehicles will likely replace people that drive for money within the next 15 years. That's a huge amount of truck drivers that need to find new employment. Places like Walmart and Lowe's are part of it too. Have you seen Lowe's new robotic employee? How about their self checkout lines? All of these things add up over time and eventually create a real problem. Even surgeons and teachers are going to be replaced by robots eventually. There is nothing a human can do that technology can't eventually do better.

Forum List

Back