I Want A Constitutional Amendment On Congressional Salaries

Wow, you mean a conservative came up with a monumentally stupid idea? What were the odds? About 1 in 1?

These are the same folks who think that politics isn't a profession and that the local barber is just as qualified as a tenured political scientist to hold public office. Its puzzling that these people exist but there they are....

I've got a friend on Long Island, a guy I went to high school with. When we were kids we used to play loud rock and roll (he's still an amazing drummer), drink cases of shitty beer and smoke waaaay too much weed. After college, he went back to Long Island where he went to work as a teacher. He also helped to manage his family's business. It was the latter which got him involved in local government in 1991, when he became a member of his town's Zoning Board of Appeals. He got it in his head one day that he should run for elected office.

That was in 2003. He was re-elected to the county legislature five times. It would've been six times, but he ran for, and was elected, to the position of Town Supervisor (which is a big deal on Long Island) in 2015. He was re-elected to that position twice.

This guy was a teacher. All he knew about politics was what he didn't like. In that way, he wasn't a whole lot different than a barber who decides to run for office.

He's now a New York State Congressman and his constituents love him.

There are good people who want to go to Washington to do good things, and assuming they're all bad, and wanting to pay them with that retarded idea in mind, is stupid...

He doesn’t want them on welfare but he only wants to elect those wealthy enough not to care about what the pay is

Unlike the mythology, most members of Congress are not incredibly wealthy. They also must maintain two residences in DC and their home district.

DC is incredibly expensive to live in

Oh, I'm aware. I have a friend who lives there who's a lobbyist. She's very good, and she's very well paid.

She needs to be...

I think every state should maintain housing in DC for their Representatives to use
Cool idea.

Off topic here but...

I often wonder about something. I like touring Civil War battle fields. One of my favorite is in Vicksburg, MS. When you go there, you find monument after monument that were funded by the States. Every State (north and south) that had soldiers there spent some money and built some really impressive monuments. I wonder if the confederate states would authorize that spending today.

Cool idea.

Off topic here but...

I often wonder about something. I like touring Civil War battle fields. One of my favorite is in Vicksburg, MS. When you go there, you find monument after monument that were funded by the States. Every State (north and south) that had soldiers there spent some money and built some really impressive monuments. I wonder if the confederate states would authorize that spending today.
Gettysburg is the same way
Some like it but I think it spoils the effect of a Battlefield

Gettysburg is the same way
Some like it but I think it spoils the effect of a Battlefield

I was just going to mention Gettysburg.

I don't have a problem with it, personally. The cool thing about Gettysburg (and I don't know if this is the case for other battlefields), but the monuments face the direction that the honored troops were facing when meeting their enemy. The placement of the monuments at Gettysburg seems very haphazard when, in fact, they're quite intentional.

I took these photos of the Pennsylvania Monument, the largest at Gettysburg, during a visit there with my daughter last year. For a sense of scale, see the protrusion from the top of the monument above the name "Gregg" in the second photo? That's my daughter:

gb18.jpg
gb19.jpg

I was just going to mention Gettysburg.

I don't have a problem with it, personally. The cool thing about Gettysburg (and I don't know if this is the case for other battlefields), but the monuments face the direction that the honored troops were facing when meeting their enemy. The placement of the monuments at Gettysburg seems very haphazard when, in fact, they're quite intentional.

I took these photos of the Pennsylvania Monument, the largest at Gettysburg, during a visit there with my daughter last year. For a sense of scale, see the protrusion from the top of the monument above the name "Gregg" in the second photo? That's my daughter:

View attachment 637042 View attachment 637043
I have been to Gettysburg about a dozen times
The best parts are where you can look out over Little Round Top, Culps Hill, Devils Den and imagine what it is like.

I liked Antietam better because it is an undisturbed landscape

Many Civil War Battlefields are so overgrown and overdeveloped that it is hard to envision the battle

You really are a retard.

I want our lawmakers to be well-compensated because the responsibilities of their job warrant it. You want them to live below the poverty line.

If anyone wants to turn this country into a third world shithole, it's the guy who wants to immediately put 535 Americans on welfare.

Dickhead...
So you admit that you are more worthless than they are. Thanks for playing....

No, they're not "better" than anyone.

Their job, though what we expect them to do, though, is far more impactful to our country than anything you or I are ever likely to do. And you think that deserves to be rewarded by making them live below the poverty line.

Fuckin' retard you are...
Oh , so they can fuck you over by putting you under the poverty line while they can steal, cheat and embezzle themselves above the line. Real nice of you. So much for Equity.

Let the voters decide when they want a raise. Have a referendum.
We already have one of a sorts. If you would bother to read and know your "owner's manual", a.k.a. the USA Constitution; you would know of the 27th Amendment.

The Twenty-seventh Amendment​

September 25, 1789

On this date, the First Congress (1789–1791) submitted the original 12 amendments to the Constitution, crafted by Representative James Madison of Virginia, to the states for ratification. Two years later, the states approved 10 of the amendments and, thus, created the Bill of Rights. The states, however, did not approve the other two amendments, one of which pertained to congressional pay. Two hundred years later, the proposed congressional pay amendment resurfaced with wide public support and the law worked its way through the remaining state legislatures. The measure stipulated that,

“No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.”

Its provision fulfilled Madison’s belief that Congress should not be permitted to vote itself pay raises arbitrarily without constituents being able to register their approval or disapproval. With no time limit on ratification, the Twenty-seventh Amendment was ratified in May 7, 1992, when Michigan approved it.
See Also;

We already have one of a sorts. If you would bother to read and know your "owner's manual", a.k.a. the USA Constitution; you would know of the 27th Amendment.

The Twenty-seventh Amendment​

September 25, 1789

On this date, the First Congress (1789–1791) submitted the original 12 amendments to the Constitution, crafted by Representative James Madison of Virginia, to the states for ratification. Two years later, the states approved 10 of the amendments and, thus, created the Bill of Rights. The states, however, did not approve the other two amendments, one of which pertained to congressional pay. Two hundred years later, the proposed congressional pay amendment resurfaced with wide public support and the law worked its way through the remaining state legislatures. The measure stipulated that,

“No law, varying the compensation for the services of the Senators and Representatives, shall take effect, until an election of Representatives shall have intervened.”

Its provision fulfilled Madison’s belief that Congress should not be permitted to vote itself pay raises arbitrarily without constituents being able to register their approval or disapproval. With no time limit on ratification, the Twenty-seventh Amendment was ratified in May 7, 1992, when Michigan approved it.
See Also;
No. That just means the Congress cannot vote itself a pay raise.

A reminder that House Representatives and Senators in the Federal Congress need to be elected by the citizen voters of the States they represent; and need to be re-elected to continue with their job in Congress.

Usually one has to campaign to get elected. This can often be another full time job, plus; and sometimes this is in addition to whatever other job for income or business owned that needs to be run.

Campaigning involves a lot of travel to meet with various groups of citizens to answer questions and explain your position on issues. Often these are assorted civic organizations, from the Lions, to the local Chambers of Commerce, to local VFWs, granges and lodges, and might include debates with other candidates that are sponsored by some of these civic organizations.

Campaigning also will usually require a staff of sorts to help out; staff your campaign office, answer phones, arrange appearances, a campaign manager, raise funds, and many similar tasks. These will usually be people whom know you and support your campaigning. One often needs to pay for yard signs, mailers, media ads, and other campaign materials.

So add in the need for money to run for office, along with the time required as well.

Point is that it takes some consideration and resources to run for office, and ideally the funding doesn't come solely from the candidate's pockets.

Then if elected, one will need to have an office and staff working in DC to handle the calls and visits from your constituents whom want you to address certain issues and help them with their problems in dealing with the Guv'mint.

No. That just means the Congress cannot vote itself a pay raise.
Which is why I said "of sorts".

There remains the "between the lines" implications that what you propose would also require an amendment and I'm not sure you understand what that would involve.

Also, I'm fairly certain you are not involved with either major party at a local level, have never run for any office, and might not fully understand the efforts and sacrifices involved in running for office or serving once elected.

Forum List

Back