CDZ I think this is a good idea

NC started it by referencing the well known fact that I oppose completely free speech in limited conditions. Like hate groups getting national soap boxes. Maybe the OP agrees with me, although he seems to be complaining more about political vitriol getting personal in discussion.

You should visit Speakers' Corner, Hyde Park, London.
Is it like the Free Speech Zone on some campuses?

Supposed to be. It's very entertaining, nevertheless.

The desire to limit free speech, isn't free speech. The desire manage limited speech (or not) within a zone is precisely what USMB offers.

Which begs the question: who decides.

rush limbaugh said "leave only a few liberals left alive".....so HIS decision for free speech is "kill the liberals and take away ALL of their rights, including free speech".......

I'm sure you would have no problem with this.....

Last edited:
who decides?...rush limbaugh said "le
You should visit Speakers' Corner, Hyde Park, London.
Is it like the Free Speech Zone on some campuses?

Supposed to be. It's very entertaining, nevertheless.

The desire to limit free speech, isn't free speech. The desire manage limited speech (or not) within a zone is precisely what USMB offers.

Which begs the question: who decides.

rush limbaugh said "leave only a few liberals left alive".....so HIS decision for free speech is "kill the liberals and take away ALL of their rights, including free speech".......

I'm sure you would have no problem with this.....

It seems to me you are putting words into my mouth, and trying to control what you think I should say.

What's your opinion of the sayings of Mao Tse Tung?

We are giving you a chance----SPEAK UP. If you have a story to tell, let's hear it.

He's hidin behindees dang constitution, giteem, Old Lady. I got yer back.
we need to get rid of that constitution it was written by white men who owned slaves

And yet without it, we children of Western Civilization may as well be slaves. The philosophy of our Founders was and remains, wholly unique in its specificity of individual rights and equalization under the rule of law, in all of human history.
With rights come responsibilities, and I think in our country we frequently forget that part.

Yes, I agree. Freedom must be accompanied by a strong personal foundation of responsibility. American legal philosophy, or application and enforcement of our laws, is predicated on giving us a pre- assumed unprecedented amount of trust, individually, to follow the laws of our society, and to raise our children to do the same. Some call it brainwashing, others liberty with a dose of self-edited behaviors. Among the most difficult aspects of this paradigm is the realization that those who believe differently than ourselves, fundamentally, must be afforded equal opportunity to express their viewpoint, and the humbling of self one must do to actually listen. It ain't easy, but it is the American way.
We won't get into it here.

NC started it by referencing the well known fact that I oppose completely free speech in limited conditions. Like hate groups getting national soap boxes. Maybe the OP agrees with me, although he seems to be complaining more about political vitriol getting personal in discussion.

Yeah, I suppose I understood a myriad of things the poster was trying to express. I was trying to give an example of how the CDZ should work, and how we could encourage people to participate without resorting to political vitriol. The topics are important, politics will most often be included, sticking to the point is often a better path.

Thanks though, because I fail to adequately express my concerns and motives quite often. :21:
You laughing at me? Even the admins around here can't be civil....Geesh.

The CDZ can be a good place to discuss a topic, since the trolls pretty much stay out (or have been banned from it), but I have noticed not many people come here, so a discussion that would take hours in Politics can take a week in the CDZ. Just really low participation, is what I'm saying.

The CDZ can get some interest depending on the topic, but like I mentioned, it's up to the participants in the discussion to offer something interesting enough anyone wants to participate. I mean, not everyone is Chaucer or Rowling, but the folks who make discussions too complicated to enjoy, burdensome to mull through, or pretend civility equals critical thinking or intelligence, are building sand castles. :21:

There was some goofball here not too long ago, that although somewhat intelligent, had the people skills of a porcupine. It was hard to read his posts, and he polluted every good argument (or anything worth debating) with a bunch of high brow nonsense that was nothing more than a distraction from what he was trying to express.

You can play the perfect game of tennis, it helps if you have two good tennis players, and it only draws a crowd when it becomes entertaining to watch.
I know exactly who you are referring to. Fortunately, I have not seen a single other poster with that affliction.

Forum List

Back