CDZ I think this is a good idea

Its too bad a clean debate zone isnt a universal requirement

It's one of the many options USMB offers so users can manage their own experience here. There's something for everyone at USMB, including different Zones that offer monitoring by staff at alternate levels, places to hang out where you can choose to be cordial, or choose to verbally beat each other over the head with a stick if you so desire. If you have special interests, there are a ton of sub forums here at USMB.

We don't need to make it all the same, because we have what you are looking for, no matter who you are or what you want.
It's your obligation to engage in the discussions you want to, and grow more interest in what you support as options here.

Welcome Aboard
Now I KNOW you are an admin sock. I thought you were too intelligent to be one of us....
The CDZ can be a good place to discuss a topic, since the trolls pretty much stay out (or have been banned from it), but I have noticed not many people come here, so a discussion that would take hours in Politics can take a week in the CDZ. Just really low participation, is what I'm saying.

I've noticed that too.

But I've come to the conclusion nobody wants to be clean.

Just filthy dirty. :20:

so people here are a bunch of ass holes too i see
We are giving you a chance----SPEAK UP. If you have a story to tell, let's hear it.

He's hidin behindees dang constitution, giteem, Old Lady. I got yer back.
we need to get rid of that constitution it was written by white men who owned slaves

And yet without it, we children of Western Civilization may as well be slaves. The philosophy of our Founders was and remains, wholly unique in its specificity of individual rights and equalization under the rule of law, in all of human history.

We are giving you a chance----SPEAK UP. If you have a story to tell, let's hear it.

we need to get rid of that constitution it was written by white men who owned slaves

And yet without it, we children of Western Civilization may as well be slaves. The philosophy of our Founders was and remains, wholly unique in its specificity of individual rights and equalization under the rule of law, in all of human history.
With rights come responsibilities, and I think in our country we frequently forget that part.

This doesn't address the topic in your OP.
How would you like to connect your comment to the topic?
NC started it by referencing the well known fact that I oppose completely free speech in limited conditions. Like hate groups getting national soap boxes. Maybe the OP agrees with me, although he seems to be complaining more about political vitriol getting personal in discussion.

You were 'founded'?

I evolved.

NC started it by referencing the well known fact that I oppose completely free speech in limited conditions. Like hate groups getting national soap boxes. Maybe the OP agrees with me, although he seems to be complaining more about political vitriol getting personal in discussion.

You should visit Speakers' Corner, Hyde Park, London.

With rights come responsibilities, and I think in our country we frequently forget that part.

Yes, I agree. Freedom must be accompanied by a strong personal foundation of responsibility. American legal philosophy, or application and enforcement of our laws, is predicated on giving us a pre- assumed unprecedented amount of trust, individually, to follow the laws of our society, and to raise our children to do the same. Some call it brainwashing, others liberty with a dose of self-edited behaviors. Among the most difficult aspects of this paradigm is the realization that those who believe differently than ourselves, fundamentally, must be afforded equal opportunity to express their viewpoint, and the humbling of self one must do to actually listen. It ain't easy, but it is the American way.

You were 'founded'?

I evolved.

You're correct. A cartoonist drew me as crow "once upon a midnight dreary**."

**Quoted from 'The Raven' by E.A. Poe

The CDZ can be a good place to discuss a topic, since the trolls pretty much stay out (or have been banned from it), but I have noticed not many people come here, so a discussion that would take hours in Politics can take a week in the CDZ. Just really low participation, is what I'm saying.

The CDZ can get some interest depending on the topic, but like I mentioned, it's up to the participants in the discussion to offer something interesting enough anyone wants to participate. I mean, not everyone is Chaucer or Rowling, but the folks who make discussions too complicated to enjoy, burdensome to mull through, or pretend civility equals critical thinking or intelligence, are building sand castles. :21:

There was some goofball here not too long ago, that although somewhat intelligent, had the people skills of a porcupine. It was hard to read his posts, and he polluted every good argument (or anything worth debating) with a bunch of high brow nonsense that was nothing more than a distraction from what he was trying to express.

You can play the perfect game of tennis, it helps if you have two good tennis players, and it only draws a crowd when it becomes entertaining to watch.

Last edited:
Its too bad a clean debate zone isnt a universal requirement
You got anything to say except to bellyache about the incivility on social media? Or is that your point? In the CDZ, a pretty clear opinion is expected in the Opening Post.

oh for the days (last year, wasn't it?) when conservatives accused liberals of being UNcivil and demanded that they (liberals) behave MORE civilly....

is it at all possible to give a pretty clear opinion on an issue without adding "ya fuking libtard"...?

I suppose so. I've never used that prase at all. Heck, I purposefully do not use the term liberal at all when referencing the folks on the left. Reason being is that I'm a liberal. A real one, however. And I'm kind of offended that I have to accept an adjective just to placate confused Democrats and Republicans who misuse the term. The word liberal is the most misused term in the American political lexicon.

Last edited:

Yeah, I suppose I understood a myriad of things the poster was trying to express. I was trying to give an example of how the CDZ should work, and how we could encourage people to participate without resorting to political vitriol. The topics are important, politics will most often be included, sticking to the point is often a better path.

Thanks though, because I fail to adequately express my concerns and motives quite often. :21:

Is it like the Free Speech Zone on some campuses?

Supposed to be. It's very entertaining, nevertheless.

The desire to limit free speech, isn't free speech. The desire manage limited speech (or not) within a zone is precisely what USMB offers.

The desire to limit free speech, isn't free speech. The desire manage limited speech (or not) within a zone is precisely what USMB offers.

Which begs the question: who decides.

Which begs the question: who decides.

Who decides who says what is always the same ... The person speaking. :21:
The consequences the person speaking must endure, are decided by whomever decides to listen, as anyone here can choose to engage someone or not.

The authority behind any consequences the person speaking must endure, as to how it relates to their continued participation at USMB, is decided by the people charged with the task of making that decision, and no one else.

Forum List

Back