I Really Like Ron Paul but I'm Enthusiastically Voting for Obama!

Weeeeeeeeeellllllllllll.....be patient. Right now what we are seeing in the GOP primaries is the typical tactics. They go hard to the right in the primaries and once someone has locked up the nomination he will tack back to center. It's just the game of politics according to the way our system is set up. Social issues will be largely irrelevant once the nomination is secure and it will be all about the economy.

The problem is that securing the nomination means you must appeal to the most energized members of the base....the one's who actually bother to go vote in the primaries and those people tend to be far more extreme in their views regardless of which party we're talking about. So right now everyone is rushing around trying to prove they are "true conservatives" because it will be the hard core conservatives doing most of the primary voting. Once that's over with all these other issues will take a back seat and the nominee will start softening his stance to appeal to moderates, like myself, and Independents which is where the final election will be won and lost.

The real danger that faces the GOP is pulling a Sharon Angle and nominating someone so extreme in their views and in their record that they stand no chance of working back to the middle once the nomination is secured. Right now Santorum is the Sharon Angle of the Republican field.

Wow! An intelligent post! Addresses the Topic of the OP!!!
So yes, I agree that they will head back to Center after the nominee is picked but this one is looking like it's going all the way to the convention. And frankly, I like Obama better than any of the GOP field. I like Ron Paul on a lot of issues but some of his views are just plain insane to me. So there is no way in hell I would vote for him.

Now you're just being a glutton for punishment - using that exact wording after someone has already linked to the thread from two months ago where you said there was no way in hell that you would vote for Obama.

I was and am still very pissed off at Obama about NDAA - which I discussed in the OP here. But I have had time to cool down and I really don't think my first choice (Stephen Colbert) has much of a chance.:eusa_angel:

A very nice criminal justice / "legal" notion. And where that concept actually has relevance, I agree.

But in the context of what was absolutely and unequivocally known about al-Awlaki, we were not dealing with a criminal justice matter at all. So the legal notion of a presumption of innocence simply did not obtain.

You merely persist in conflating acts of war with mere criminality.

Was he killed on a battlefield shooting at troops? Was he killed in self defense of an imminent attack?

If those 2 things aren't present, then as a citizen he still retains due process rights regardless of war on terror. War on terror is just a created idea by our government that DOES NOT transcend the constitution. The only way your point is valid is if there is a constitutional amendment clearly laying out the details on this war on terror, and where due process is removed.

This isn't about Awlaki. I figure he probably was guilty of terrorism, but PROBABLY doesn't equal GUILTY. This is about the idea of due process itself, and the constitution. What's the point of constitutional protection if the government can just take it away from you whenever and however it sees fit, just because there's terrorism in the world? The government's main job is to PROTECT those rights. That's what this is about.

The proper procedure is to simply request extradition from Yemen and try him. If he was SOOOO guilty, then it should be a quick trial and the punishment would likely be death anyway.

False premise. He was an active participant in the war. He was treated accordingly. A high ranking target worthy of getting struck.

Fuck his filthy memory.

An active participant? Where is the case for this? I've seen nothing other than the government SAYING SO.

What's to stop the government from saying that anyone who argues against this kind of operation, like what I'm doing, is an active participant? The government could probably find all kinds of things I've written like that which they could use to say I'm potentially aiding the enemy by arguing against killing people in that way.

It's a sad day when we cheer the government for taking away a US citizen's constitutional rights. The government has zero authority to do such a thing.

Whatever happened to the conservative mantra of the government's job is to PROTECT rights?

It's REALLY bad when you still have people cheering this kind of shit on, even from one of the most hated administrations in history.

Was he killed on a battlefield shooting at troops? Was he killed in self defense of an imminent attack?

If those 2 things aren't present, then as a citizen he still retains due process rights regardless of war on terror. War on terror is just a created idea by our government that DOES NOT transcend the constitution. The only way your point is valid is if there is a constitutional amendment clearly laying out the details on this war on terror, and where due process is removed.

This isn't about Awlaki. I figure he probably was guilty of terrorism, but PROBABLY doesn't equal GUILTY. This is about the idea of due process itself, and the constitution. What's the point of constitutional protection if the government can just take it away from you whenever and however it sees fit, just because there's terrorism in the world? The government's main job is to PROTECT those rights. That's what this is about.

The proper procedure is to simply request extradition from Yemen and try him. If he was SOOOO guilty, then it should be a quick trial and the punishment would likely be death anyway.

False premise. He was an active participant in the war. He was treated accordingly. A high ranking target worthy of getting struck.

Fuck his filthy memory.

An active participant? Where is the case for this? I've seen nothing other than the government SAYING SO.

What's to stop the government from saying that anyone who argues against this kind of operation, like what I'm doing, is an active participant? The government could probably find all kinds of things I've written like that which they could use to say I'm potentially aiding the enemy by arguing against killing people in that way.

It's a sad day when we cheer the government for taking away a US citizen's constitutional rights. The government has zero authority to do such a thing.

Whatever happened to the conservative mantra of the government's job is to PROTECT rights?

It's REALLY bad when you still have people cheering this kind of shit on, even from one of the most hated administrations in history.

Then you didn't pay attention.

Ron Paul is really the only guy worth watching in the debates. He's just so danm honest! I agree with him on a LOT of points too e.g. Why TF are we giving money to foreign politicians when we don't even trust our own; the war on drugs has already been lost etc...
But the stuff I disagree with him on, I disagree with so strongly that I won't vote for him. Plus I find the Libertarian Philosophy very flawed when it comes to The Market correcting itself. I've lived in places that had virturally no corporate regulation. No thanks.

I hope Ron Paul is enjoying watching our free, unregulated, capitalist system exercise itself with the skyrocketing costs of oil. I hope he enjoys filling his gas tank with $5/gallon gas in a few months. I wonder if he knows how much I enjoy paying $4/gallon for heating oil? I paid .89/gallon ten years ago. I just love the free market system. It works for everyone, doesn't it?

Last edited:
The way I (still, for those from the last Ron Paul thread I got involved in) see it, we will have two choices in November.

We can re-elect Obama who will almost certainly be even more radical once he doesn't have to worry about re-election. . . .

. . . or . . . .

We can throw our support behind the very imperfect Republican nominee who will likely be Romney, Santorum, Gingrich, or Paul. Even if none of those four achieve the necessary number of delegates and we go to a brokered convention, we will still have a flawed Republican candidate running against Obama.

That flawed Republican candidate is going to do a lot of things the true conservatives among us cannot condone or support. He or she is going to make us madder than hell. He or she is going to screw up and miss any number of opportunities to make a positive difference.

But he or she will in no way be as destructive or dangerous as Obama has been and will no doubt continue to be.

And I still say that those who refuse to vote for either, are putting Obama back in the White House.

We don't have free markets here. FAIL.

Sure we do. Food prices are going through the roof, too. Durable goods as well.

Oh, the price of housing fell through the floor, though. Darn, that "free market" sure did screw the mortgage industry, didn't it?

We don't have free markets.

We can't even produce our own fucking MILK in this country without armed government agents stepping in and shutting us down.

And I still say that those who refuse to vote for either, are putting Obama back in the White House.
Hate to break it to ya, but the election isn't going to swing either way on my one, single, (1) vote.

But if you choose to use your vote wisely and persuade one or two other persons to use their votes wisely and they persuade one or two others, it won't take long before there are millions educated and ready to do the right thing.

Forum List

Back