I normally don't do this but...

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
Is there anyone around who is good with sound problems on PC's? I have tried to get my speakers to work for the past 3 hours, I've uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, I've set the driver to the Microsoft default. I've tried switching jacks on the back to no avail. Computer diagnostics say everything is fine, but obviously not. Nothing works.

I can hear out of my gaming headset just fine. There's a place called "Wit's End" that I keep arriving at. They're going to have me arrested for loitering if I keep coming back...

Last edited:
Is there anyone around who is good with sound problems on PC's? I have tried to get my speakers to work for the past 3 hours, I've uninstalled and reinstalled drivers, I've set the driver to the Microsoft default. I've tried switching jacks on the back to no avail. Computer diagnostics say everything is fine, but obviously not. Nothing works.

I can hear out of my gaming headset just fine. There's a place called "Wit's End" that I keep arriving at. They're going to have me arrested for loitering if I keep coming back...
Windows 10? 8.1? 7? XP?

th

Are you sure the speakers work?

*****CHUCKLE*****

:)

Just sayin, regardless of OS...if you hear through your headphones then your sound drivers are working.
It is something else.
Open your volume mixer and see if the speaker settings are on mute or disabled.
Otherwise, it is likely the jack coming off the motherboard is fried.

External speakers? If they are true story, I spent two hours trying to figure out why our daughter's suddenly stopped working....ended up she had hit the power button on the cord with her foot.

If you're getting sound out of your headphones then that generally indicates that everything is installed properly - could you have accidentally muted your sound/volume?

upload_2018-5-23_13-59-43.png

Windows 10? 8.1? 7? XP?
Windows 10.

If you're getting sound out of your headphones then that generally indicates that everything is installed properly - could you have accidentally muted your sound/volume?

View attachment 195082

Nope, checked everything, reinstalled the IDT codec twice. Then I simply deleted the driver and tried Realtek instead. When I restarted, Windows replaced it with the IDT codec.

(Shrugs)

Last edited:
Nope, checked everything, reinstalled the IDT codec twice. Then I simply deleted the driver and tried Realtek instead. When I restarted Windows replaced it with the IDT codec.
Have you tried plugging the speakers into a different computer to narrow down whether it's a speaker issue or connection issue? It's strange that you can get sound out of the headphones which would tend to indicate that the problem isn't the jack.

They're not accidentally plugged into the microphone jack?

Windows 10? 8.1? 7? XP?
Windows 10.
Go to control panel -> hardware and sound -> sound
In the playback tab, enable and set your speakers as the default device.

Have you tried plugging the speakers into a different computer to narrow down whether it's a speaker issue or connection issue?

This is the only PC I own. Plus, when I touch the male end of the jack to the metal casing or the tip of my finger,
the speakers buzz, so I know they're working.

It's strange that you can get sound out of the headphones which would tend to indicate that the problem isn't the jack.

Well, that might be true if these were standard headphones. They're Logitech G35 gaming headphones, and they are USB only.

Windows 10? 8.1? 7? XP?
Windows 10.

Did that too. I've tried everything it seems. I'm thinking one or more of the jacks are fried...

Windows 10? 8.1? 7? XP?
Windows 10.

Did that too. I've tried everything it seems. I'm thinking one or more of the jacks are fried...
Possible or it's a Win 10 issue specifically with your sound card. You may have done this already but just in case, Download the realtek driver, uninstall driver then when it asks where to look for the best driver select 'search system' (or whatever it says) then select the realteck driver and install it. If you let Windows do it automatically it will pick the other driver.

Well, in one last desperate attempt, I switched the jacks... and it worked, though I plugged it into that same jack beforehand and it didn't work.

Still have no clue why the sound went out in the first place. Oh well. Problem solved.

I appreciate all the tips and suggestions.

Moderators may lock this thread or delete it if they feel the need to do so.

I'm glad that your problem has been resolved. But in case you face similar problem in the future, you should consider switching default audio device to the one connected to your speakers.

I also use a USB headset and speakers and sometimes I forget to switch to the one I want to use in Windows Playback Device settings and I don't get the audio in the device I want to use.

This post reminds me when I tried to get my speakers of my truck to work 30 years ago and I put them on the ground..it worked.

This position reminds me when I tried to get my speakers of my truck to work 30 years ago and I put them on the ground..it worked.

You have to ground them..

Forum List

Back