I need some sources of information about nightmare.

Soheil

Feb 11, 2016
Iran
I have terrible nightmares almost every night and I can’t bear it anymore. I need to do a general study about nightmare, I need to know what exactly it is, What things causes it, And finally how to stop having it.

Either good books or good websites would be nice.

My understanding of nightmares is that they are ramped up dreams. They are particularly scary or upsetting and keep repeating because the issue behind the nightmare is an important one in your life. If you believe, as I do, that dreams are the mind's way to work through various business while you sleep, you may want to explore dream interpretation. I've read many books over the years on the subject but really don't have any comprehensive ones to recommend. If you'd rather not study up on dreams/nightmares, you may consider speaking with a therapist who is willing to discuss dreams.

You might want to analyze what you are consuming. It might have an affect.

If you want to learn how to cope with nightmares i'd suggest you tune in often to CNN, MSNBC, etc. as they recently experience a doozy of a one and still struggling to recover, although the line in Vegas is they'll never get over it.

Interesting as I have extremely complicated dreams, maybe because of work most involve complicated tasks and getting them done or in some case maze like tasks. When I ask others they usually don't remember or even have many dreams. You may want to try Sleep Eaze or an over the counter sleep aid. I know a few women who take xanax for sleep, but it is a controlled substance only available from a MD. They claim it also relaxes the mind. When technology hadn't advanced to today I'd often have to be in the office at 1AM and would use sublingual melatonin, very low dose so as to get a solid few hours of sleep beforehand. So often with complicated medical issues there are no simple answers and experience and testing work best. Good luck.

Check out meditation too. http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2016/02/18/contemplation-therapy/

Nightmares in Adults

Music soothes. Neuroscience Says Listening to This Song Reduces Anxiety by Up to 65 Percent

Room sound? Just thought of that, I know people who use fans or those noise devices.

Sleep and age: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/02/21/u...s-vary-by-age-race-and-place-study-finds.html

Waking: http://www.techinsider.io/amy-cuddy-advice-waking-up-right-2016-1

Last edited:
Melatonin is available over the counter...

... start at 1mg and work your way up...

... start it at the beginning of a weekend...

... so you can get past any grogginess before work Monday.

Dreams are one of 3 types --

1 - our minds processing the past

2 - our minds thinking about the future

3 - the God(s) communicating with us.

Something terrible may have happened to you in the past and your mind is not over it. This is called PTSD. These nightmares take many decades to go away.

You may be afraid of something happening in the near future and you cannot stop thinking about it even in your sleep.

The God(s) may be warning you about something to prepare you for it.

I have had all 3 kinds of these.

Mebbe can cause nightmares too...

Do not sleep on it: going to sleep angry makes things worse
Thu, Dec 01, 2016 - A good night’s sleep might reinforce negative memories in the brain, researchers said on Tuesday, lending scientific credence to the time-worn caution against going to bed angry.
Slipping into slumber while holding on to a freshly formed bad memory engraves it in the brain, making it harder to shake off later, a team from China and the US reported in the journal Nature Communications. “This study suggests that there is certain merit in this age-old advice: ‘Do not go to bed angry,’” said study coauthor Liu Yunzhe, who conducted the research at Beijing Normal University. “We would suggest to first resolve [the] argument before [going to] bed.” Liu and the research team used 73 male college students to test the impact of sleep on memory. The participants were trained over two days to associate specific images with negative memories.

Later, they were made to look at the pictures again and instructed either to recall the negative associations or to fight against it and not let the memory enter their mind. The test was done twice — once after the participants had had a night of sleep and once only half an hour after a training session. All the while, scientists scanned the participants’ brain activity. Participants found it much harder to suppress memories after sleep, the team found, and the scans revealed the souvenirs were likely being stored in a part of the brain with longer-term memory connections.

Sleeping is known to affect how newly acquired information is stored and processed in the brain, moving from short to longer-term networks. Memories of negative or traumatic events often last longer than those of positive or neutral experiences, the research team said, but they can, to an extent, be consciously controlled. An inability to suppress bad memories has been linked to a number of psychiatric problems, including depression and post traumatic stress disorder.

Before this latest study, “we did not know whether it is better or worse to suppress memories before or after sleep,” Liu said. Better understanding of such processes could boost the treatment of psychiatric problems. “For example, sleep deprivation immediately after traumatic experiences may prevent traumatic memories from being consolidated ... and thus provide the opportunity to block the formation of traumatic memories,” the study authors wrote.

Do not sleep on it: going to sleep angry makes things worse - Taipei Times

Usually whenever I go to bed angry I have nightmares of shooting masses of people.

I'd like to share some of things about my nightmares, So maybe you can help.
Some specific themes recurring frequently in my nightmares, Maybe the most frequent thing is conscience-stricken. :(
What does it mean? And how can i get rid of it?

Hey Soheil...

... on that melatonin...

... take it about 20-30 minutes...

... before going to bed.

It takes about 3 days for it to work into your system.

If you take calcium, take that in the morning when you wake up...

... calcium seems to neutralize the melatonin...

... if taken at the same time.

Some specific themes recurring frequently in my nightmares, Maybe the most frequent thing is conscience-stricken. :(
"Conscience stricken" ... ???

Ergo you did something once in the past and now you regret it ?!

This falls into the category of your mind processing something from the past.

Could also be God's punishment as well. One or the other.

Confession is good for the soul. Maybe find a Catholic priest.

I have terrible nightmares almost every night and I can’t bear it anymore. I need to do a general study about nightmare, I need to know what exactly it is, What things causes it, And finally how to stop having it.

Either good books or good websites would be nice.
im sorry for you . you are iranian and donald trump won election .
everybody have nightmare in your situation.
nuclear_explosion001.jpg

i think he is homosexaul

Really thank you, But i'm not theist.

Soheil, if you are having repeating nightmares that leave you conscience stricken, then you have an idea of what these nightmares are about. You will have to deal with the issue(s) that are causing your conscience to be stricken.

Soheil, if you are having repeating nightmares that leave you conscience stricken, then you have an idea of what these nightmares are about. You will have to deal with the issue(s) that are causing your conscience to be stricken.
...and the study of and belief in Jesus Christ, can greatly assist you in resolving those issues.

Forum List

Back