I need help finding a business statistic.

Woodznutz

Platinum Member
Dec 9, 2021
Trying to find out how many business startups fail in a given time period but can only find the percentage of startups that fail. Can anyone help me? I think the number might be important in understanding the economic problems many have.

Trying to find out how many business startups fail in a given time period but can only find the percentage of startups that fail. Can anyone help me? I think the number might be important in understanding the economic problems many have.

There are 31.7 million small businesses in the U.S., In 2021 20% failed in the first year, 50% within 5 years and 65% within 5 years.

Hope this helps.

There are 31.7 million small businesses in the U.S., In 2021 20% failed in the first year, 50% within 5 years and 65% within 5 years.

Hope this helps.
Thanks, but I need the actual numbers of failures.

Read the link I gave.

"How Many Startups Fail and Why?"​

There are currently 31.7 million small businesses in the United States, which make up 99.9% of all U.S. businesses.1 Many small businesses start up every month but the failure rate is high. As of 2021, 20% failed in the first year, 50% within five years, and 65% within 10 years.2

Given the number of businesses that start up, why do such a high percentage of them fail?

What am I missing?

Small business starts reach new highs

Entrepreneurship is booming in the U.S. In 2021 alone, a record-breaking 5.4 million new business applications were filed, and nearly as many (5.1 million) were filed in 2022.

Still not an exact number, maybe more helpful?

There are currently 31.7 million small businesses in the United States, which make up 99.9% of all U.S. businesses.1 Many small businesses start up every month but the failure rate is high. As of 2021, 20% failed in the first year, 50% within five years, and 65% within 10 years.2

Given the number of businesses that start up, why do such a high percentage of them fail?

What am I missing?
The article in the link has some reasons. I can say from personal experience that when you start a business you are swimming against the tide of "you can't do that" or "that's too hard" or "you need more experience" (of course to GET more experience you need......experience). It took me about 5 years before my business was doing fairly well. HINT: Even your friends don't really want you to succeed because in their mind it puts them below you although, that's really not true.

Government also is against you with higher taxes more loops to jump through, liability issues and on and on and on. Oh yeah and don't forget, you're always 'on the clock.'

The article in the link has some reasons. I can say from personal experience that when you start a business you are swimming against the tide of "you can't do that" or "that's too hard" or "you need more experience" (of course to GET more experience you need......experience). It took me about 5 years before my business was doing fairly well. HINT: Even your friends don't really want you to succeed because in their mind it puts them below you although, that's really not true.

Government also is against you with higher taxes more loops to jump through, liability issues and on and on and on. Oh yeah and don't forget, you're always 'on the clock.'

Yes, I know the reasons, but 31.7 million total doesn't mean 31.7 million start ups.

Bing AI chat: "What are the number as well as percentages of small businesses that fail in a year's time?"

"According to data from the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics, about 20% of small businesses fail within their first year12. Given there are 33.2 million small businesses across the U.S.3, it can be estimated that approximately 6.64 million small businesses fail within their first year. However, it’s important to note that these statistics can vary year by year and are influenced by a variety of factors. For instance, data from the Small Business Administration shows that an average of 80% of employer businesses survive the first year4."

1. entrepreneur.com2. fundera.com3. forbes.com4. commerceinstitute.com5. lendingtree.com

Todd's a moron, so don't expect him to understand math and logic.

So, in any given year there are startups that will fail before year's end as well as previous year's startups that are in the process of failing. I'm curious to know how this effects the workforce, and how much economic activity is generated in these efforts, as well as debt that is incurred due to these failures. I see these startups as an underreported undercurrent that affects the general economy and employment in a negative way. Or is it a zero sum game?

Last edited:
Pretty old, but:
Across the 16 years from 1998 to 2014, the small business share of GDP has fallen from 48.0 percent to 43.5 percent. Over the same period, the amount of small business GDP has grown by about 25 percent in real terms, or 1.4 percent annually. However, real GDP for large businesses has grown faster, at 2.5 percent annually.

“This useful benchmark shows us that small businesses continue to be big contributors to the U.S. economy,” Acting Chief Counsel for Advocacy Major L. Clark said. “While their contribution has grown at a slower rate than that of large businesses, small businesses continue to be at the forefront of driving innovation, jobs and economic growth.”
Btw, Todd happens to be correct above. Completely addressed your original question. Dudley is just full of beans here.

Last edited:
Pretty old, but:

Btw, Todd happens to be correct above. Completely addressed your original question. Dudley is just full of beans here.

So post the stats on 'businesses' that aren't real businesses but simply tax dodges on paper, like people who claim to run puppy mills so they can write off stuff like their vacations to Colorado or Utah as 'business expenses' by merely stopping by some other puppy mill or kennel, for instance.. What percentage of those do you think make up all those 'companies' that eventually fail or are startups?

the percentage should be enough to discourage any but the most positive of thinkers, maybe the sba has a number?

Forum List

Back