I lived 20 years in a home that was haunted.

It was a very active home. We all had experiences day or night over those years. But most were at night, usually between 10pm - midnight. I don't believe anyone ever had any experiences late-late at night however.

We talked about calling someone, but always felt whoever it was would be some crackpot weirdo, so no we never did.
My nephew, was a staunch non believer until he stayed a weekend downstairs over a visit.
Freaked him out. He heard the footsteps that evening and was nervous enough to wake me up. He said he got up and walked to the doorway, still hearing the footsteps coming right toward him but obviously no one was there. The dude was white, I just kept saying I told you so. He was well into his 20s then, and slept in my son's room that night.
He still occasionally brings that up to this day.
Why wouldn't your nephew just ignore the footsteps and go back to sleep. And why would he be nervous about footsteps? Did somebody tell him he was going to hear a ghost that night?

I looked back to see if i had written about this before, I have mentioned it several times... but not actually wrote specifics about the home I raised my family in.
The year we moved in was 1995, which has significance as the home was built in 1895.

This is a Google Street map of the house here:

View attachment 623994

An old Victorian, beautiful woodwork, pocket doors etc. We fell in love with it and lived there for 20 years.
It was very active almost from day one. So many little things, doors closing/opening.. noises of all kinds. We all became very used to it.
The most prominent was undeniable footsteps. At the very least 20 or more people have heard them. Always beginning in the kitchen area, walking through the dining room and into the foyer. Clear as a bell. I personally have heard them at least 2 or 3 dozen times in the years we lived there. Always in the same rooms, always in the same direction.
One time I got out of the shower and walked into our bedroom. Adjacent to the master bdrm was our daughters room. I heard her in there, what sounded like her opening her dresser drawers and walking around. I asked her a question, she didn't answer. I said her name louder.. nothing. So I walked into her room and was very surprised no one was there. So I walked to the stairway and hollered downstairs and the family was all in the living room. But then it dawned on me the sound of her getting into her dresser drawer... she doesn't have the kind of hardware that makes that clinking sound when you let go... hers had just knobs.
I could list so many situations like that it could fill 10 pages in a book.
We called it the "friendly ghost". At no time did anyone experience anything malevolent. And things would happen so often, even the kids were not afraid of it. Or them.
There is no such thing. It could be those high octane
Cigarettes or that white powder. Get some proper medication.

There is no such thing. It could be those high octane
Cigarettes or that white powder. Get some proper medication.
I would make a lousy drug addict.
I had a tooth cut out a couple months ago, they gave me a prescription for hydrocodone... I didn't even fill it.
It's not that I don't mind the feeling of the high... I hate the feeling of coming down. Hate it.
So outside of getting a few headaches from shitty pot in the 1980s... no drugs here.

You're either being hoaxed by somebody or you're making it all up out of your head. Look for a reason for your superstitious supernatural nonsense being completely natural.

Tellingn tall tales to get attention would be a natural explanation too. Also mental illness can sometimes explain that kind of nonsensical stories.
Old houses have creaking floors, pipes that rattle and all manner of popping sounds when joists expand and contract.

Old houses have creaking floors, pipes that rattle and all manner of popping sounds when joists expand and contract.
You don't think I know that?
The home has radiant heat also.. all manner of groans, knocks all winter long.
In the evenings as the sun goes down, there is always some popping and cracking.
None of those things have anything to do with the other.

Yes, we know that and those who think they hear footsteps should be told that. There's always an explanation if one has an interest in finding it.

Yes, we know that and those who think they hear footsteps should be told that. There's always an explanation if one has an interest in finding it.
You are talking from empty air.
Go ahead and search posts here that has "ghost" in it, written by me.
You will find several things. You will see some vague references I have made to experiences in this home going years back.
You will also find a number of responses by me in threads about "is this a ghost"?... with a photo or video... and you will see I pretty much every single time will provide an explanation for those. Now why is that important? Because it shows by example that I repeatedly disbelieve most "ghost" stories and instead will believe a more grounded explanation.
You will also find me saying, several times, I don't know if I even believe in ghost, as in a past human spirit still roaming around. I don't know if they are real or not. Despite my own experiences, because I have never seen a full apparition. So I cannot say I believe in something I haven't seen.
What I do know... is there is some kind of energy in this home. I lived there for 20 years. And, like I said, at least a couple dozen people have also experienced things. Some of those, may very well be common noises made by an old home. I wasn't there. I can only speak on my own. And when I say they are the sound of footsteps, I mean they are the sound of footsteps. Both in the specific sound steps make, but also they move in a direction across three rooms. Repeatedly over many years. In a very predictive way.
And then there is the preponderance of so many-many events. Another is air movements, and temperature zones.
Like I said, the home is heated with radiators. And since it is not GFA, there is no period of rushing air between the cycles.
But all of us, including myself, have been standing or sitting and felt a breeze or movement of air. Many times, pieces of paper simply falls off of a flat surface in the room we were in. I have seen that happen probably 50 times living there, many times I was alone. And don't say "well old homes are drafty"... no they are not. Every window in the house was replaced with modern double pane windows. When we had the yellow siding you see in the photo put on, we had blown in insulation put in between the walls as well as of course wall foam board put in under the vinyl. Fact is, this home is probably more air tight than many modern homes. In an empty room, no one walking around, air doesn't just simply rise up enough to blow items off of a flat surface.
Like I said, I could probably fill 20 pages of events. It was very active. You are speaking from thin air, because you have no experiences and therefore dogmatic.

You are talking from empty air.
Go ahead and search posts here that has "ghost" in it, written by me.
You will find several things. You will see some vague references I have made to experiences in this home going years back.
You will also find a number of responses by me in threads about "is this a ghost"?... with a photo or video... and you will see I pretty much every single time will provide an explanation for those. Now why is that important? Because it shows by example that I repeatedly disbelieve most "ghost" stories and instead will believe a more grounded explanation.
You will also find me saying, several times, I don't know if I even believe in ghost, as in a past human spirit still roaming around. I don't know if they are real or not. Despite my own experiences, because I have never seen a full apparition. So I cannot say I believe in something I haven't seen.
I've caused you to take a step back from implying there were ghosts! I said 'implying' and that's not the same as 'saying' the word.
What I do know... is there is some kind of energy in this home. I lived there for 20 years. And, like I said, at least a couple dozen people have also experienced things. Some of those, may very well be common noises made by an old home. I wasn't there. I can only speak on my own. And when I say they are the sound of footsteps, I mean they are the sound of footsteps. Both in the specific sound steps make, but also they move in a direction across three rooms. Repeatedly over many years. In a very predictive way.
And so you are at least accepting there could be other explanation outside of the supernatural. However, you somewhat cleverly sneak in the word 'energy'.
And then there is the preponderance of so many-many events. Another is air movements, and temperature zones.
Like I said, the home is heated with radiators. And since it is not GFA, there is no period of rushing air between the cycles.
But all of us, including myself, have been standing or sitting and felt a breeze or movement of air. Many times, pieces of paper simply falls off of a flat surface in the room we were in. I have seen that happen probably 50 times living there, many times I was alone. And don't say "well old homes are drafty"... no they are not. Every window in the house was replaced with modern double pane windows. When we had the yellow siding you see in the photo put on, we had blown in insulation put in between the walls as well as of course wall foam board put in under the vinyl. Fact is, this home is probably more air tight than many modern homes. In an empty room, no one walking around, air doesn't just simply rise up enough to blow items off of a flat surface.
Like I said, I could probably fill 20 pages of events. It was very active. You are speaking from thin air, because you have no experiences and therefore dogmatic.
And now you're returning to where you want to be with the implications of 'ghosts'.

Let's start the discussion then. If a piece of paper floated off of a table, is there an explanation for that which doesn't require the supernatural?

Or would you rather start with something else? We could talk about any of the instances where some 'energy' caused something to move or be heard.

Fwiw, I saw Ari Geller taken down on a very similar suggestion of paper being moved by some supernatural source.

Everything about Ari has been proven to be a hoax!

I've caused you to take a step back from implying there were ghosts!

EH?
You didn't cause me to do anything of the sort.
Again, if you do the search you will find me saying those very same words years ago - "I don't know if I believe in ghost"
I don't know if what I have witnessed is a past human spirit.
You are guilty of a bit of self-grandiose to say you caused me to do or say anything.
The only reason you keep coming back to this thread is you apparently have a need to feel smarter than other people.
You know nothing about me, who I am, what I do and where I have been in my 57 years of life.
Anytime you like you can stop trying to pretend to be "the one who knows".
You are not that person.
[Flip] - here's a quarter.. go buy yourself some gum.

EH?
You didn't cause me to do anything of the sort.
Again, if you do the search you will find me saying those very same words years ago - "I don't know if I believe in ghost"
I don't know if what I have witnessed is a past human spirit.
You are guilty of a bit of self-grandiose to say you caused me to do or say anything.
The only reason you keep coming back to this thread is you apparently have a need to feel smarter than other people.
You know nothing about me, who I am, what I do and where I have been in my 57 years of life.
Anytime you like you can stop trying to pretend to be "the one who knows".
You are not that person.
[Flip] - here's a quarter.. go buy yourself some gum.
I don't 'know' anything for sure when it comes to the supernatural. The only way anybody can 'know' the supernatural even exists is to have faith.

If we're going to discuss the topic, we can dispense with the term 'ghosts' and turn to expressing that which you claim as some 'energy'.

I know what that means to me and you probably know what it means to you.

Are you with me in dispensing with the belief in 'ghosts'? Or would you like to still see a possibility of the 'energy' being attributable to them?
You make the rule for the discussion and I'll abide by it.

You're either being hoaxed by somebody or you're making it all up out of your head. Look for a reason for your superstitious supernatural nonsense being completely natural.

Tellingn tall tales to get attention would be a natural explanation too. Also mental illness can sometimes explain that kind of nonsensical stories.
Somebody has an experience you did not, so of course they have to be crazy. That sound you heard was a massive eyeroll.

Somebody has an experience you did not, so of course they have to be crazy. That sound you heard was a massive eyeroll.
I'm not crazy when it comes to not believing in the supernatural.
The only way I could believe would be to have FAITH that it was real.

What supernatural event do you believe in? Or are you happy just being a hit and run spammer?

Exactly.
Likely stemming from an inferiority complex, thus the need to make himself feel superior and returning to this thread over and over.
And so it now turns out that you're just a 'hit and run spammer too, who fears the outcome of digging a little deeper into his 'energy' story.

You're purposely dropping the ball but maybe somebody else has the faith?

How many UFO's have you seen? How many has your family seen?

I'm not crazy when it comes to not believing in the supernatural.
The only way I could believe would be to have FAITH that it was real.

What supernatural event do you believe in? Or are you happy just being a hit and run spammer?
I'm very happy with my faith and my life.

I figure if you're okay continually inserting yourself into others' conversations, incessantly reminding everyone that you don't believe what they do, that you wouldn't mind me commenting on it. In this case, someone else had an experience you didn't share, but you think you know better than they do what happened. Why do you feel the need to incessantly claim that what people experience isn't their experience?

Back the content of the thread...
Someone asked about the past inhabitants.
I looove old property abstracts. City/County governments use to use property abstracts as the place to store public documents about the people who owned the property. Birth/Death certificates were kept with the abstracts. As well as arrest records, tax liens... all kinds of stuff.
The Property abstract of this house is so thick, it is two books. Both about an inch an a half thick.
From memory... something like this.
First owner was a couple, I remember the man's name was Moses. The original property was 40 acres. In the early 1800s.
They built a different house than this one, obviously. He was killed by unknown causes. His wife had the family look for him because he had not came back home from out on the property. They found him dead. I know this, because of a copy of report made by the county Sherrif. (Hand written... which was cool)
Women could not own property back then, so the government gave the property to Moses's brother. Don't remember his name.
He died and the property was empty for decades. In 1864 the town of Bedford was formed, and the town limits were about a half mile from this property. In 1889 the town became an incorporated city and the city limits were expanded well beyond the property. The city built roads and divided the 40 acres into city lots sold to the public.
And that is when the home was built. His name was Charles, for the life of me I can't remember their last name. His wife's name was Betty. He died 7 years after the home was built. She sold the property to the first family that was raised in this house I mentioned above.

I'm very happy with my faith and my life.

I figure if you're okay continually inserting yourself into others' conversations, incessantly reminding everyone that you don't believe what they do, that you wouldn't mind me commenting on it. In this case, someone else had an experience you didn't share, but you think you know better than they do what happened. Why do you feel the need to incessantly claim that what people experience isn't their experience?
Religious beliefs would be included as the 'supernatural in my opinion.

It qualifies because it's only backed up with faith and nothing else. Were you suggesting religious beliefs when you mentioned faith.

I'll take on any of the 'supernatural' if there's anybody willing to take a pro position.

I looked back to see if i had written about this before, I have mentioned it several times... but not actually wrote specifics about the home I raised my family in.
The year we moved in was 1995, which has significance as the home was built in 1895.

This is a Google Street map of the house here:

View attachment 623994

An old Victorian, beautiful woodwork, pocket doors etc. We fell in love with it and lived there for 20 years.
It was very active almost from day one. So many little things, doors closing/opening.. noises of all kinds. We all became very used to it.
The most prominent was undeniable footsteps. At the very least 20 or more people have heard them. Always beginning in the kitchen area, walking through the dining room and into the foyer. Clear as a bell. I personally have heard them at least 2 or 3 dozen times in the years we lived there. Always in the same rooms, always in the same direction.
One time I got out of the shower and walked into our bedroom. Adjacent to the master bdrm was our daughters room. I heard her in there, what sounded like her opening her dresser drawers and walking around. I asked her a question, she didn't answer. I said her name louder.. nothing. So I walked into her room and was very surprised no one was there. So I walked to the stairway and hollered downstairs and the family was all in the living room. But then it dawned on me the sound of her getting into her dresser drawer... she doesn't have the kind of hardware that makes that clinking sound when you let go... hers had just knobs.
I could list so many situations like that it could fill 10 pages in a book.
We called it the "friendly ghost". At no time did anyone experience anything malevolent. And things would happen so often, even the kids were not afraid of it. Or them.

Back the content of the thread...
Someone asked about the past inhabitants.
I looove old property abstracts. City/County governments use to use property abstracts as the place to store public documents about the people who owned the property. Birth/Death certificates were kept with the abstracts. As well as arrest records, tax liens... all kinds of stuff.
The Property abstract of this house is so thick, it is two books. Both about an inch an a half thick.
From memory... something like this.
First owner was a couple, I remember the man's name was Moses. The original property was 40 acres. In the early 1800s.
They built a different house than this one, obviously. He was killed by unknown causes. His wife had the family look for him because he had not came back home from out on the property. They found him dead. I know this, because of a copy of report made by the county Sherrif. (Hand written... which was cool)
Women could not own property back then, so the government gave the property to Moses's brother. Don't remember his name.
He died and the property was empty for decades. In 1864 the town of Bedford was formed, and the town limits were about a half mile from this property. In 1889 the town became an incorporated city and the city limits were expanded well beyond the property. The city built roads and divided the 40 acres into city lots sold to the public.
And that is when the home was built. His name was Charles, for the life of me I can't remember their last name. His wife's name was Betty. He died 7 years after the home was built. She sold the property to the first family that was raised in this house I mentioned above.
It's a very common history that would be mostly true of most properties. I live on prperty that was forested before it was cleared as farm land. My 5 acres is a part of the original 640 acre section.

Does any of that relate to the supernatural and the 'energy' you have suggested?
Are you suggesting that 'energy' performed the supernatural or are you now accepting it to be caused by natural events?

When you lingered outside of your duaghter's room, did you have some reason to do so? Had you already suspected the 'energy' to be present in your house?

Forum List

Back