theim

May 11, 2004
Madison, WI
From the Wisconsin State Journal:

WSJ said:
THE GOVERNORS GESTURE FOR POPE IS QUESTIONED

By Doug Erickson
Wisconsin State Journal

A Madison secular organization is protesting Gov. Jim Doyle's order to fly flags at half-staff at government buildings all week to remember Pope John Paul II.
The gesture "appears like an endorsement of Roman Catholicism over other religious veiwpoints," said Annie Laurie Gaylor, co-president of the Freedom From Religion Foundation.
Gaylor said her organization would have looked the other war if the order had been for just Friday---the day of the Pope's funeral---instead of all week.
"This seems excessive," she said. "Not everyone in this country is Roman Catholic, and (the pope's) not even American."
Doyle's executive order, issued Monday, followed President Bush's similar order from Saturday. The governor's office had received calls from people wondering if the president's order covered public buildings in Wisconsin, said Doyle spokeswoman Melanie Fonder. Doyle grew up Catholic and attends Queen of Peace Catholic Church in Madison. His executive order says the pope "was not only an inspirational spiritual leader but also made a significant impact on social justice issues and was a champion of peace."
Fonder said there is no connection between Doyle's personal beliefs and the executive order. Numerous other governors of various faiths issued similar orders, she said.
Federal statutes allow a president to lower flags not only upon the death of principle figures of the U.S. government but also upon the death of "other officials or foreign dignitaries." Given the prominence of the Vatican in international affairs, the pope certainly falls in the latter category, Fonder said.
Gaylor said she respects the private mourning of Catholics but protests state-backed grieving.
The American Humanist Association in Washington, D.C., also opposes the weeklong lowering of flags, said Tony Hilleman, executive director.
"We have to ask whether this would be done for other cleric---the Dalai Lama or Jewish or Muslim leaders."

Why this bothers anyone (the flags flying at whatever height) is beyond me. It's people LOOKING for a reason to get upset...and lawyers looking for money.

-=d=- said:
Why this bothers anyone (the flags flying at whatever height) is beyond me. It's people LOOKING for a reason to get upset...and lawyers looking for money.

Just like the Pledge of Allegience----any toe hold to attack religion.

Yep, I knew this was coming too. I'm not Roman Catholic and it wouldn't bother me if the flags were flown at half-staff all across the country. That's one of the things I liked about John Paul II, he appealed to more than just Roman Catholics. Flying the flag at half-staff doesn't make it look like everyone is Roman Catholic, it just makes it look like they are honoring someone that deserves it.

Jimmyeatworld said:
Yep, I knew this was coming too. I'm not Roman Catholic and it wouldn't bother me if the flags were flown at half-staff all across the country. That's one of the things I liked about John Paul II, he appealed to more than just Roman Catholics. Flying the flag at half-staff doesn't make it look like everyone is Roman Catholic, it just makes it look like they are honoring someone that deserves it.

The left will say that the govt shouldn't be showing any favoritism as the article has said already. I think the ACLU has checked out thier law books on this one and found it too hot to handle. It will just sit back and let other groups fight this battle for em.

Forum List

Back