I just spent $90 on a...

D

Dis

....stick.. Tis called a "Harry Lauders Walking Stick", looks like a mess of chinese noodles, but looks really cool.

Hopefully even I can keep it alive, since it apparently needs practically no care, and thrives in frozen tundra temperatures. :eusa_pray::eusa_pray:

Attachments

• $walking_stick.jpg
    $walking_stick.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 173
....stick.. Tis called a "Harry Lauders Walking Stick", looks like a mess of chinese noodles, but looks really cool.

Hopefully even I can keep it alive, since it apparently needs practically no care, and thrives in frozen tundra temperatures. :eusa_pray::eusa_pray:

I like it!

I like it!

I love it.. I'm actually thinking about lining a 100' long fence with them.. They grow about 10' tall, and I think 4-6' wide..

However, at almost $100 a pop, we'll see how the first one does for a season. :D

I like it!

I love it.. I'm actually thinking about lining a 100' long fence with them.. They grow about 10' tall, and I think 4-6' wide..

However, at almost $100 a pop, we'll see how the first one does for a season. :D

Color? Flowering?

look for a contorted hazelnut tree...that is the same thing and many times cheaper....i would love to have one....but i just cant do the 100 bucks price tag. and there is an interesting story behind the name

that is a very nice one..they are grafted....they supposely will live with little care...keep us posted...i would like to buy several

the site doesnt do justice to henry lauder...he as a young comic who used a crooked walking stick.....he goes off to war to enterain the men...he is british if i am not mistaken.....i am doing this from old memory....he traveled the war zones bringing his act to men....he never returned...no one knows what became of him..but thru the contorted hazelnut tree...his name lives on and his memory....very nice choice of a tree there dis....but lining a 100 ft fence....pricey....i buy expensive shit from this garden center that guartnees their plants for 1 year....i have a nice japanese dogwood....

i also do wisteria....long story but i am attempting to do bushes ....i have a nice red bud....red maple....things like that...but the tree you have is my "holy grail" so to speak....

the site doesnt do justice to henry lauder...he as a young comic who used a crooked walking stick.....he goes off to war to enterain the men...he is british if i am not mistaken.....i am doing this from old memory....he traveled the war zones bringing his act to men....he never returned...no one knows what became of him..but thru the contorted hazelnut tree...his name lives on and his memory....very nice choice of a tree there dis....but lining a 100 ft fence....pricey....i buy expensive shit from this garden center that guartnees their plants for 1 year....i have a nice japanese dogwood....

i also do wisteria....long story but i am attempting to do bushes ....i have a nice red bud....red maple....things like that...but the tree you have is my "holy grail" so to speak....

We have Stein Garden that guarantees all their trees for at least 2 years.

I don't have a small back yard, so I need it as maintenance free as possible (I'm lazy when it comes to that - I want drop dead gorgeous, but I don't want to do the work to get it, cuz I do NOT have a green thumb - in fact, it's black) :(

its a hazel nut tree manuel....will just like that when it blooms and has leafs....but they are grossly beautiful i would rather look at that than most flowering trees

Wow... that's crazy looking. Looks more like something you'd see growing down in the desert south west, or like it belongs in a Harry Potter movie... :tongue:

It's got to be a pretty hardy plant to thrive in winters like ours.

Last edited:
If you guys are thinking about a good bordering hedgetype plant, one that flowers and give a truly wonderful scent for a month or so, too... you cannot go wrong with privets.

You can buy them in bulk for about twenty-five cents each, they get to about 16' tall, they grow so thickly with time that after a decade or so you couldn't drive a mac truck through the things.

Birds and some kinds of butterflies love them, too.

They're poisonous to horses though, so beware

They require virtunally no care, (except trimming if you want them to get very dense) they're damned near impervious to harsh climate, and they're about the cheapest plants I can think of for privacy.

I've got hundreds of feet these as hedges bordering my compound serving me both for privacy and wind breaks and sound baffling, too.

I think they whole investment was about $125 bucks for this living fence.

They come as whips about a foot or two in height so planting them by the hundreds takes very little time. I pplanted ine every foot, and had about a 95% survival rate after all these years despite some truly harsh Maine winters.

After about 15 years ago they're enormous.

Oh yeah, they last for CENTURIES, too.

I think they were the plants the Dutch first used to make their dikes stronger then became popularly used in grand English manor estates.

They're also used as borders to keep cows in, or so I'm informed.

There was a famous skirmish that happened in Europe during WWII where the Germans used those in Holland (Belgium?) as a defensive line.

Apparently those centuies old hedges thrwarted even our light tanks!

And for those of you with an artistic bent, they're one of the the plants people pften turn into topiaries and mazes.

granimals1.jpg

maze.jpg

that is a very nice one..they are grafted....they supposely will live with little care...keep us posted...i would like to buy several
I bought one for $10 at a garden center in the fall. It survived nicely in a container till I left it out too long in the cold weather. It's dead now but it doesn't look much different that when it was alive. :lol:

I like it!

Looks a lot like a curly willow. A friend used to start them by taking cuttings and soaking them for a few weeks. You may be able to just start new plants with cuttings off of the one you have bought after it is established. We have an apple tree that grew from a cutting I stuffed in the dirt after trimming the apple tree.

Forum List

Back