I hope you're ready...healthscare in the UK

Discussion in 'Politics' started by txlonghorn, Jul 25, 2010.

1. txlonghorn

txlonghorn Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +399
    Some of the most common operations — including hip replacements and cataract surgery — will be rationed as part of attempts to save billions of pounds, despite government promises that front-line services would be protected.

Patients’ groups have described the measures as “astonishingly brutal”.

Axe falls on NHS services - Telegraph

People get ready...the "change" that's coming won't be what we "hoped" for.

2. bucs90

bucs90 Gold Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +19,210
    Isn't Obama's newly appointed guy in charge of the healthcare overhaul the same one who said he is "seducted" by the glamour and seductress that is the British healthcare system, and the same guy who said national healthcare "MUST", "MUST" include redistribution and rationing?

If thats all true, and whats going on in UK is true, then there must be a panel of doctors and gov't officials who see a case by case evaluation of sick people to determine who will get care.......and who won't. And those who won't will probably suffer....or worse, pass away.

BUT....BUT.....BUT......but wait, no, Sarah Palin can't have been right........Kieth Olbermann and the left keep making fun of her, and she said there would be panels that would pick who does and doesn't get care, and she simply CAN'T be right! I mean, shes so dumb, and hickish, and dumb, and ignorant, and just NO NO! It can't BE!!!!

Lefties, want to defend this one?

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  3. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    Glad you asked. The ability of medicine to provide care that extends life or enhances the quality of care exceeds our collective ability to pay.

How would you like to cope with this reality? Me, I'll take a few less hip replacements on 90+ year olds with dementia and a few more liver transplants on kids.

I guess you feel that a system which leaves the poor with nothing while the rich get cadillac care is superior?

4. Sky Dancer

Sky Dancer BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,164
    I think we ought to do what the eskimo did and put everyone over fifty on an ice floe and let 'em die.

5. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    They aren't going to fund liver transplants, either.

Hip replacement surgery is a surgery which improves the lives of the people who get them ASTRONOMICALLY. My mother had double hip replacement surgery, before she was 70. Medicare paid a fraction, the rest her private insurance and her own pocket financed.

Bad joints lead to falls and falls lead to death. Most people who need hip replacements aren't 90 year old throw-away people. They're people who would still be leading active lives if the could move without excruciating pain.

6. SFC Ollie

SFC Ollie Still Marching

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,457
    My friend who just happens to be my family Doctor tells me that we already have rationed care. He refuses to explain what he means, But he is thinking seriously about retiring early. He has pretty much had about enough. Don't know who we will get to replace him, but I know the care will be less.

7. AllieBaba

AllieBaba BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +3,650
    How close are you to 50?

I only have 4 years.

8. boedicca

boedicca Uppity Water Nymph Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +22,721
    I posted this in another thread earlier today - it's germane here as well:

"The chronically ill and those toward the end of their lives are accounting for potentially 80% of the total health care bill out there. There is going to have to be a very difficult democratic conversation that takes place. The decision is not whether or not we will ration care. The decision is whether we will ration with our eyes open."

RealClearPolitics - Why Donald Berwick is Dangerous to Your Health

Get read for Berwick Bureaucrats to consider how much your grannie's life is worth and to deny her care due to the expense not being worth her value.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  9. bigrebnc1775

bigrebnc1775 Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,830
    I have many links to this type of mass government control murder.

10. Madeline

Madeline BANNED

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,624
    I can assure you, the medical advice and care you receive is geared to the insurance coverage you have. Mine is not especially great; when I first learned I had cataracts, I was told they were "inoperable". Scared me shitless.

Only later did I learn, my insurance company generally refuses to compensate for operations when the patient's vision is so good. There's a world of difference between "I don't think I can arrange payment" and "inoperable"; I gather my MD did not want to listen to me crab about this, so he just lied.

We have rationing now. We will have it in future, regardless. The only subject up for discussion is how care should be handed around....and IMO, handing it out based only on income is morally repugnant.