I hope you're ready...healthscare in the UK

txlonghorn

Mar 9, 2009
Some of the most common operations — including hip replacements and cataract surgery — will be rationed as part of attempts to save billions of pounds, despite government promises that front-line services would be protected.

Patients’ groups have described the measures as “astonishingly brutal”.

Axe falls on NHS services - Telegraph

People get ready...the "change" that's coming won't be what we "hoped" for.

Isn't Obama's newly appointed guy in charge of the healthcare overhaul the same one who said he is "seducted" by the glamour and seductress that is the British healthcare system, and the same guy who said national healthcare "MUST", "MUST" include redistribution and rationing?

If thats all true, and whats going on in UK is true, then there must be a panel of doctors and gov't officials who see a case by case evaluation of sick people to determine who will get care.......and who won't. And those who won't will probably suffer....or worse, pass away.

BUT....BUT.....BUT......but wait, no, Sarah Palin can't have been right........Kieth Olbermann and the left keep making fun of her, and she said there would be panels that would pick who does and doesn't get care, and she simply CAN'T be right! I mean, shes so dumb, and hickish, and dumb, and ignorant, and just NO NO! It can't BE!!!!

Lefties, want to defend this one?

Glad you asked. The ability of medicine to provide care that extends life or enhances the quality of care exceeds our collective ability to pay.

How would you like to cope with this reality? Me, I'll take a few less hip replacements on 90+ year olds with dementia and a few more liver transplants on kids.

I guess you feel that a system which leaves the poor with nothing while the rich get cadillac care is superior?

I think we ought to do what the eskimo did and put everyone over fifty on an ice floe and let 'em die.

They aren't going to fund liver transplants, either.

Hip replacement surgery is a surgery which improves the lives of the people who get them ASTRONOMICALLY. My mother had double hip replacement surgery, before she was 70. Medicare paid a fraction, the rest her private insurance and her own pocket financed.

Bad joints lead to falls and falls lead to death. Most people who need hip replacements aren't 90 year old throw-away people. They're people who would still be leading active lives if the could move without excruciating pain.

My friend who just happens to be my family Doctor tells me that we already have rationed care. He refuses to explain what he means, But he is thinking seriously about retiring early. He has pretty much had about enough. Don't know who we will get to replace him, but I know the care will be less.

I posted this in another thread earlier today - it's germane here as well:

"The chronically ill and those toward the end of their lives are accounting for potentially 80% of the total health care bill out there. There is going to have to be a very difficult democratic conversation that takes place. The decision is not whether or not we will ration care. The decision is whether we will ration with our eyes open."

RealClearPolitics - Why Donald Berwick is Dangerous to Your Health

Get read for Berwick Bureaucrats to consider how much your grannie's life is worth and to deny her care due to the expense not being worth her value.

Some of the most common operations — including hip replacements and cataract surgery — will be rationed as part of attempts to save billions of pounds, despite government promises that front-line services would be protected.

Patients’ groups have described the measures as “astonishingly brutal”.

Axe falls on NHS services - Telegraph

People get ready...the "change" that's coming won't be what we "hoped" for.

I have many links to this type of mass government control murder.

My friend who just happens to be my family Doctor tells me that we already have rationed care. He refuses to explain what he means, But he is thinking seriously about retiring early. He has pretty much had about enough. Don't know who we will get to replace him, but I know the care will be less.

I can assure you, the medical advice and care you receive is geared to the insurance coverage you have. Mine is not especially great; when I first learned I had cataracts, I was told they were "inoperable". Scared me shitless.

Only later did I learn, my insurance company generally refuses to compensate for operations when the patient's vision is so good. There's a world of difference between "I don't think I can arrange payment" and "inoperable"; I gather my MD did not want to listen to me crab about this, so he just lied.

We have rationing now. We will have it in future, regardless. The only subject up for discussion is how care should be handed around....and IMO, handing it out based only on income is morally repugnant.

Forcing people to hop onto a crappy medical plan which then refuses to pay for medical care is repugnant as well.

Things have to be paid for. Despite what the 1960s progressives say, the government doesn't OWE you anything. And if it decides it's going to be in the business of providing medical care, it better fucking do it.

Of course it won't. Medicare is the crappiest medical coverage in the nation.

I can assure you, the medical advice and care you receive is geared to the insurance coverage you have. Mine is not especially great; when I first learned I had cataracts, I was told they were "inoperable". Scared me shitless.

Only later did I learn, my insurance company generally refuses to compensate for operations when the patient's vision is so good. There's a world of difference between "I don't think I can arrange payment" and "inoperable"; I gather my MD did not want to listen to me crab about this, so he just lied.

We have rationing now. We will have it in future, regardless. The only subject up for discussion is how care should be handed around....and IMO, handing it out based only on income is morally repugnant.

Healthcare "Coverage" is rationed that is true, but healthcare in America is not rationed. It will be rationed when this murder bill comes into effect but Healthcare is not rationed in America right now.

Healthcare in the US is most certainly rationed today.

Never have I been told that I couldn't have a procedure or treatment because I wasn't covered for it, unless I was also told how much it would cost me to pay for it myself. And the worst part is I have government insurance. 100% coverage, not supposed to cost me a dime. But don't ever believe that shit.

The "rationed today" argument is a cheap rhetorical trick to equate individuals deciding how to spend their own hard earned money with the Government taking that money and deciding how to redistribute it.

We shouldn't accept the two as morally equivalent.

Glad you asked. The ability of medicine to provide care that extends life or enhances the quality of care exceeds our collective ability to pay.

How would you like to cope with this reality? Me, I'll take a few less hip replacements on 90+ year olds with dementia and a few more liver transplants on kids.

I guess you feel that a system which leaves the poor with nothing while the rich get cadillac care is superior?

Our system provided mandatory ER treatment for anyone that walks in. Even illegal aliens with a runny nose. And they pay nothing. Doctors recoup that lost money through higher costs. Sucks, but, no one wants to close the border either, so it's reality.

Our system provides Medicare and Medicaid. Poor people are eligible. They hardly get "nothing".

Our "poor" are obese also. Obesity would be welcome in 3rd world nations, as it is a sign of excess food. Obesity contributes to over 75% of the health problems our "poor" face. High BP, diabetes, heart disease, stroke, cancer, etc. Fix obesity, fix healthcare. But no one wants to get off their fat asses and workout.

If it was YOUR grandmother who needed a hip replacement, and they told her no because it's too expensive, how would you feel?

Healthcare in the US is most certainly rationed today.

prove it.
Healthcare coverage and healthcare are two differant subjects

She can't prove it because it's a lie.

Pure and simple.

Now she'll come back with some crap about how it's not TECHNICALLY rationed, but is still effectively so because those who can't afford it blah blah blah blah.

Proving that not only is she a liar, she doesn't even understand the terms she throws around as if she's ever done anything but sit on her ass, throw back cheap wine and chain smoke.

Our system provided mandatory ER treatment for anyone that walks in. Even illegal aliens with a runny nose. And they pay nothing. Doctors recoup that lost money through higher costs. Sucks, but, no one wants to close the border either, so it's reality.

Our system provides Medicare and Medicaid. Poor people are eligible. They hardly get "nothing".

Our "poor" are obese also. Obesity would be welcome in 3rd world nations, as it is a sign of excess food. Obesity contributes to over 75% of the health problems our "poor" face. High BP, diabetes, heart disease, stroke, cancer, etc. Fix obesity, fix healthcare. But no one wants to get off their fat asses and workout.

If it was YOUR grandmother who needed a hip replacement, and they told her no because it's too expensive, how would you feel?

Even worse...if your grandmother or mother was able to PAY for a hip replacement surgery, and she was told she could not have one, how would you feel?

Of course Madeline would feel nothing because she is of the opinion that elderly people don't deserve any care at all.

I posted this in another thread earlier today - it's germane here as well:

"The chronically ill and those toward the end of their lives are accounting for potentially 80% of the total health care bill out there. There is going to have to be a very difficult democratic conversation that takes place. The decision is not whether or not we will ration care. The decision is whether we will ration with our eyes open."

RealClearPolitics - Why Donald Berwick is Dangerous to Your Health

Get read for Berwick Bureaucrats to consider how much your grannie's life is worth and to deny her care due to the expense not being worth her value.

EXACTLY right.

NEXT STEP: Eugenics. The dirtiest of dirty liberal ideology secrets.

Once the population is conditioned to accept the elderly being refused treatment for cost purposes, and we are conditioned to unnecessary deaths that result, the next big transformation will be rationing care for anyone who has a severe disability or disease which is draining lots of money, but with an unavoidable bad ending or impossibility of a cure.

The argument will be "We already ration for the elderly, but someone in their 20's with only 5-6 years to live anyway is really like an elderly person, in that their live isn't going to last much longer anyway, so why pour millions into their treatment when we could put it towards curing and helping otherwise healthy people?"

And once we get to that point, we will then be discussing the most humane way to shepard these doomed folks through those last few untreated years of life. For more insight to this, see liberal icon George Bernard Shaw's idea on how to deal with this sad reality (Hint: It includes classical music and a "humane gas").

But, hey, liberals are so much more learned and book smarted than us redneck tea party folk, just follow their edumacated ideals.

Forum List

Back