I hope you're ready...healthscare in the UK

Yes, and as more families are affected by unemployment etc. fewer will be so quick to shrug off the idea of government-mandated healthcare here, either.

Will someone please tell me when the fuck American insurance companies became so beloved?

I don't really think it matters what system is in place...even if Obamacare is repealed and we revert to what we have now. At some point, decisions (or the results of failures to make any) will be necessary. I believe they are now.

It is not uncommon these days to find people my age who seriously expect to live to be 90 or more. That was almost unheard of when I was young. Add to that the various and very expensive medical advances that have been made, like transplants, and the fact is IMO, we will have to ration care.

As repugnant as it may be to countenance denying care to enhance life to an elderly person (or whatever route we choose to go), in my view anything is better than merely denying care based soley on economic status.
That rarely happens now. Why do you think it will happen more in the future, if politicians don't further screw things up?

We could take care of this if we opened the medical schools, gave AMERICAN students preference, and poured just a little money into creating American doctors. Because that's what it comes down to. We don't have enough doctors to treat all the people. And when you force them to spend all their time on preventative shit, you increase the dr deficit.

But that won't happen. Because the people in charge think we should die. They see our population as problematic and think the world is better off with fewer people...particularly fewer children and old folks.

They also think that because some are poor and suffer, EVERYONE should suffer along with them.

And that's loony.

What a tremendously ironic thread...

What's happening in Britain is that the new right-wing government is basically dismantling the National Health Service (they call it 'decentralizing' it, I'd call it 'denationalizing').

In other words, the British government is doing what most of those who label themselves "conservatives" here would theoretically be completely in favor of if it were done to Medicare and Medicaid. They are moving in the opposite direction of government run health care. And this is the result.

Patients’ groups have described the measures as “astonishingly brutal”.

That is a full blown lie. "When all else fails blame the conservatives and the right wing." When did the Conservatives and right wing party take control o the government?

Last edited:
Yes, and as more families are affected by unemployment etc. fewer will be so quick to shrug off the idea of government-mandated healthcare here, either.

Will someone please tell me when the fuck American insurance companies became so beloved?

They are not beloved, it's just most Americans do not want the government involved with their healthcare.

I don't really think it matters what system is in place...even if Obamacare is repealed and we revert to what we have now. At some point, decisions (or the results of failures to make any) will be necessary. I believe they are now.

It is not uncommon these days to find people my age who seriously expect to live to be 90 or more. That was almost unheard of when I was young. Add to that the various and very expensive medical advances that have been made, like transplants, and the fact is IMO, we will have to ration care.

As repugnant as it may be to countenance denying care to enhance life to an elderly person (or whatever route we choose to go), in my view anything is better than merely denying care based soley on economic status.

And why is that? Because it would be more "fair" to let elderly people die so that a younger person can get that care?

Our population keeps getting fatter, fatter, and lazier. Yet, our life expectancy keeps getting higher. That combination should not occur, but it does, here, in America. If a person in the US is uninsured, it is probably their own fault due to poor decisions in the past, with the exception of those with pre-existing conditions they got when they were a child or teenager. If a person is denied coverage because they weigh 400 pounds and have blood pressure that is 190/120, I have little sympathy.

Seems to me that people tend to forget one little thing. The original Idea of health care reform was to make health care more affordable.

Obamacare forgot that objective.

New Topics

Forum List

Back