I Hope This Is True

Discussion in 'Middle East - General' started by Annie, Sep 9, 2006.

1. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    though I fear it's not. I like Ralph Peters, I think he's usually right on the big issues. I agreed with this until about 2 years ago. I have watched Islamic Africa and Indonesia grow more militant, and NO I don't think we caused it. I think that the 'extreme Islam' is closer to what Muhammed would recognize than most of the forms more 'moderate' Muslims practice. I do hope I'm wrong:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/0907200..._enemy_within_opedcolumnists_ralph_peters.htm

2. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to run this story by my friend Ahmed and get his insight on some things, mostly regarding your opening opinion.

As for my opinion: Maybe they're the ones who have al-Qaida ties ;)

3. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Feel free. My guess is your friend, Ahmed lives in US and is most likely one of the moderates. As I said, I hope I'm wrong to disagree with Peters first hand observations.

4. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    He's leaning more towards Shia Muslim (which is more conservative), but he does live in the US, however, he knows more about his faith than some scholars seem to.

5. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Ok, but how would YOU know that
    ?

6. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    He's like me in the fact that he studies religion. He obviously has chosen to study his own religion and extensively. I'm going off what some of the "experts" I've read have said is all.

7. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    I agree with your thinking on this issue, Kathianne. If Islam is a religion of peace, then why are so many Muslims silent regarding the Islamofacists? The Islamofacists might be regarded as a minority within the Muslim world at this time, but what they are doing they are doing in the NAME OF RELIGION, and "moderate" Muslims are not--and have not--condemned them. Muslims are Muslims; they adhere to what is written in the Koran; to kill infidels is honoring Allah. To them, the Islamofacists are just following Allah's and Mohammad's instructions.

I think Peters simply wrote a "wishful thinking" piece, completely ignoring the evidence to the contrary. As the old proverb goes: There is none so blind as those who will not see.

8. Annie

Annie Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,770
    Again, how do you judge that you or he truly understand what is said? How does anyone? Oh, there are plenty in Christianity that claim they KNOW what God wants, says, etc. Seems true in other religions as well. Humans who KNOW what God thinks. Right. Contradiction in terms.

9. trobinett

trobinett Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +162
    Not giving much "wiggle" room are you Kathianne?

Opinions are painted with a broad brush, and are not to be taken "literally", lighten up.:gang1:

10. Kagom

Kagom Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +141
    I'm going off my observations about my friend. And he isn't claiming to know what God wants ;)