I heard a rumor that there is a methan deposit that is also coming out with the oil

ScienceRocks

Democrat all the way!
Mar 16, 2010
The Good insane United states of America
I heard that there was a methane deposit under the oil reservoir that was coming out with the oil. Is there any truth to this...Methane is 25 times the green house gas than co2, which is not really much of a green house gas(Yes it is, but very weak one) . The real concern instead should be; It might kill all the fish by depleting the oxygen within that area of the gulf. .:confused::(:frown:

Last edited:
I heard that there was a methane deposit under the oil reservoir that was coming out with the oil. Is there any truth to this...Methane is 25 times the green house gas than co2, which is not really much of a green house gas(Yes it is, but very weak one) . The real concern instead should be; It might kill all the fish by depleting the oxygen within that area of the gulf. .:confused::(:frown:

Wherever there is an oil reserve you will find methane gas.. Its all part and parcel... Petroleum is rotted biomass basically, and methane is one gas that comes from that. Or more accurately the by-products of that fermentation of biomass.. That is about as simplistic as I make it really.. If you want a more detailed or accurate scientific explanation one of the many websites can help you..

However I fail to see how methane can deplete oxygen content in the gulf region....

Rapidly introducing large amounts of CH4 into seawater can result in a large anoxic area in the water.

Defusing The Methane Greenhouse Time Bomb By Christopher Mims

Even if methane doesn't reach the atmosphere, Elliott's model suggests it could still have dire effects on the Arctic environment: As it is oxidized by methanotrophs, it will acidify the Arctic Ocean and turn the water into a anoxic " dead zone" analogous to the oxygen-free dead zones that show up in the Gulf of Mexico every year as a result of farmland fertilizer runoff carried by the Mississippi River. "It would mean those nutrients [oxygen] are not available to other organisms," Elliott says. "In other words, maybe we're safe, but other organisms are not."

Rapidly introducing large amounts of CH4 into seawater can result in a large anoxic area in the water.

Even if methane doesn't reach the atmosphere, Elliott's model suggests it could still have dire effects on the Arctic environment: As it is oxidized by methanotrophs, it will acidify the Arctic Ocean and turn the water into a anoxic " dead zone" analogous to the oxygen-free dead zones that show up in the Gulf of Mexico every year as a result of farmland fertilizer runoff carried by the Mississippi River. "It would mean those nutrients [oxygen] are not available to other organisms," Elliott says. "In other words, maybe we're safe, but other organisms are not."

Notice the word model suggests.... yeah in other words his model says it could.... ok and the notice the ocean acidification tie in.... yeah classic ...

BUllshit from start to finish, and thats already documented on this forum...:lol:

So I am to believe a proven ignoramous on a message board rather than a real scientist? Methane clathrate events have always included anoxic oceans. Hardly a coincidence.

Methane Catastrophe

5. METHANE CATASTROPHE (Continental Margin Methane Release)

Perhaps the first scientist to have realized that permafrost and seafloor methane hydrate release may have played a role in the end-Permian extinction was Doug Erwin (1993), following the proposal by Paull (1991) tying regression to hydrate release by depressurization. Erwin indicated that methane and carbon dioxide (from both the oxidation of exposed continental shelf organic carbon and methane, "and possibly other sources") would have contributed to global warming and "possible oceanic anoxia" (1993, p. 256). Oceanic anoxia is an excellent mechanism for killing off aerobic marine organisms, but Erwin was clearly hesitant about invoking it for the end-Permian, hedging his tentativeness with the words "possible" and "perhaps" (1993, p. 256).

So I am to believe a proven ignoramous on a message board rather than a real scientist? Methane clathrate events have always included anoxic oceans. Hardly a coincidence.

Methane Catastrophe

Perhaps the first scientist to have realized that permafrost and seafloor methane hydrate release may have played a role in the end-Permian extinction was Doug Erwin (1993), following the proposal by Paull (1991) tying regression to hydrate release by depressurization. Erwin indicated that methane and carbon dioxide (from both the oxidation of exposed continental shelf organic carbon and methane, "and possibly other sources") would have contributed to global warming and "possible oceanic anoxia" (1993, p. 256). Oceanic anoxia is an excellent mechanism for killing off aerobic marine organisms, but Erwin was clearly hesitant about invoking it for the end-Permian, hedging his tentativeness with the words "possible" and "perhaps" (1993, p. 256).

Hold on now, that disputes your other claim about ocean acidification in the end permian extinction....

your previous claim was that atmospheric CO2 caused it, and here it was methane???

oh wait I see the truth now there it is hidden.... i bolded it and made it bigger to clarify the truth here..

Thanks for the honesty oldoscks, it was refreshing from you...:lol:

Notice the word model suggests.... yeah in other words his model says it could.... ok and the notice the ocean acidification tie in.... yeah classic ...

BUllshit from start to finish, and thats already documented on this forum...:lol:

Never believe models.
I was once told to "get lost" by a model.
How rude of her.

Methane Catastrophe

Hold on now, that disputes your other claim about ocean acidification in the end permian extinction....

your previous claim was that atmospheric CO2 caused it, and here it was methane???

oh wait I see the truth now there it is hidden.... i bolded it and made it bigger to clarify the truth here..

Really stupid of you to state that. Trapp volcanics, specifially the Siberian Trapps, erupting onto ocean bottom clathrates as well as the very rapid increase in CO2 from such eruptions. Known by anyone that has done the least research on the period.

Methane Catastrophe

Really stupid of you to state that. Trapp volcanics, specifially the Siberian Trapps, erupting onto ocean bottom clathrates as well as the very rapid increase in CO2 from such eruptions. Known by anyone that has done the least research on the period.

Now ya see douchebag.. it was YOUR SOURCE SAID IT NOT ME.....:lol::lol:

I changed not a single word in any of that... All I did was make bold and enlarge the telling parts.... if you have issue with its assertions than you shouldn't have posted it...:lol:

ScienceDaily (Aug. 28, 2003) — EVANSTON, Ill. -- What caused the worst mass extinction in Earth's history 251 million years ago? An asteroid or comet colliding with Earth? A greenhouse effect? Volcanic eruptions in Siberia? Or an entirely different culprit? A Northwestern University chemical engineer believes the culprit may be an enormous explosion of methane (natural gas) erupting from the ocean depths.

In an article published in the September issue of Geology, Gregory Ryskin, associate professor of chemical engineering, suggests that huge combustible clouds produced by methane gas trapped in stagnant bodies of water and suddenly released could have killed off the majority of marine life and land animals and plants at the end of the Permian era -- long before dinosaurs lived and died.

The mechanism also might explain other extinctions and climate perturbations (ice ages) and even the Biblical flood, as well as be the cause of future catastrophes.

Ryskin calculated that some 10,000 gigatons of dissolved methane could have accumulated in water near the ocean floor under high pressure. If released quickly, perhaps triggered by an earthquake, the resulting cloud of methane would have an explosive force about 10,000 times greater than the world's entire stockpile of nuclear weapons. The huge conflagrations plus flooding and overturned oceans would cause the extinctions. (Approximately 95 percent of marine species and 70 percent of land species were lost.)

"That amount of energy is absolutely staggering," said Ryskin. "As soon as one accepts this mechanism, it becomes clear that if it happened once it could happen again. I have little doubt there will be another methane-driven eruption -- though not on the same scale as 251 million years ago -- unless humans intervene."

THAT's a little spooky, eh?

CO2 being chracterized as "not much of a greenhouse gas" misses the point. It DOES help to keep the earth warmer than it would be without it. Since we're now in a period where CO2 is 25-30% higher than recent historical averages, that should be significant in anybody's book. More trapped energy, means more heat, as the Law of Conservation of Energy shows. Then there's the matter of whatever little bit CO2 may raise the temperature causing melting and releasing even more potent gases, like methane, as is being seen right now in Siberia.

Siberian Methane Could Fast-Track Global Warming - Science and Tech - The Atlantic

CO2 being chracterized as "not much of a greenhouse gas" misses the point. It DOES help to keep the earth warmer than it would be without it. Since we're now in a period where CO2 is 25-30% higher than recent historical averages, that should be significant in anybody's book. More trapped energy, means more heat, as the Law of Conservation of Energy shows. Then there's the matter of whatever little bit CO2 may raise the temperature causing melting and releasing even more potent gases, like methane, as is being seen right now in Siberia.

Siberian Methane Could Fast-Track Global Warming - Science and Tech - The Atlantic

kornhole, stop trying to pretend you really care... We know you're a sock...

kornhole, stop trying to pretend you really care... We know you're a sock...

Says the douchebag. Stick to posting lessons. LOL!!!

Oldsocks take your kid when you go.. hes annoying and ignorant....

You bring some real data and i will take the time, you bring garbage and you get a garbage response...

Oldsocks take your kid when you go.. hes annoying and ignorant....

You bring some real data and i will take the time, you bring garbage and you get a garbage response...

Garbage is all you have. You reject any data that doesn't fit your bias anyway. If you examine the logic of the situation, instead trying to obscure it, you'd realize that more of a GHG means more trapped radiation. Since your outlook is purely political, logic is something you wouldn't touch with a ten foot pole.

Forum List

Back