I heard a rumor that there is a methan deposit that is also coming out with the oil

Discussion in 'Environment' started by Matthew, Jun 15, 2010.

1. Matthew

Matthew Blue dog all the way!

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +15,215
    I heard that there was a methane deposit under the oil reservoir that was coming out with the oil. Is there any truth to this...Methane is 25 times the green house gas than co2, which is not really much of a green house gas(Yes it is, but very weak one) . The real concern instead should be; It might kill all the fish by depleting the oxygen within that area of the gulf. .:confused::(:frown:

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  2. gslack

gslack Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +346
    Wherever there is an oil reserve you will find methane gas.. Its all part and parcel... Petroleum is rotted biomass basically, and methane is one gas that comes from that. Or more accurately the by-products of that fermentation of biomass.. That is about as simplistic as I make it really.. If you want a more detailed or accurate scientific explanation one of the many websites can help you..

However I fail to see how methane can deplete oxygen content in the gulf region....

3. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,371
    Rapidly introducing large amounts of CH4 into seawater can result in a large anoxic area in the water.

Defusing The Methane Greenhouse Time Bomb By Christopher Mims

Even if methane doesn't reach the atmosphere, Elliott's model suggests it could still have dire effects on the Arctic environment: As it is oxidized by methanotrophs, it will acidify the Arctic Ocean and turn the water into a anoxic " dead zone" analogous to the oxygen-free dead zones that show up in the Gulf of Mexico every year as a result of farmland fertilizer runoff carried by the Mississippi River. "It would mean those nutrients [oxygen] are not available to other organisms," Elliott says. "In other words, maybe we're safe, but other organisms are not."

4. gslack

gslack Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +346
    Notice the word model suggests.... yeah in other words his model says it could.... ok and the notice the ocean acidification tie in.... yeah classic ...

BUllshit from start to finish, and thats already documented on this forum...:lol:

5. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,371
    So I am to believe a proven ignoramous on a message board rather than a real scientist? Methane clathrate events have always included anoxic oceans. Hardly a coincidence.

Methane Catastrophe

5. METHANE CATASTROPHE (Continental Margin Methane Release)

Perhaps the first scientist to have realized that permafrost and seafloor methane hydrate release may have played a role in the end-Permian extinction was Doug Erwin (1993), following the proposal by Paull (1991) tying regression to hydrate release by depressurization. Erwin indicated that methane and carbon dioxide (from both the oxidation of exposed continental shelf organic carbon and methane, "and possibly other sources") would have contributed to global warming and "possible oceanic anoxia" (1993, p. 256). Oceanic anoxia is an excellent mechanism for killing off aerobic marine organisms, but Erwin was clearly hesitant about invoking it for the end-Permian, hedging his tentativeness with the words "possible" and "perhaps" (1993, p. 256).

6. gslack

gslack Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +346
    Hold on now, that disputes your other claim about ocean acidification in the end permian extinction....

your previous claim was that atmospheric CO2 caused it, and here it was methane???

oh wait I see the truth now there it is hidden.... i bolded it and made it bigger to clarify the truth here..

Thanks for the honesty oldoscks, it was refreshing from you...:lol:

7. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Never believe models.
    I was once told to "get lost" by a model.
    How rude of her.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  8. Old Rocks

Old Rocks Diamond Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +10,371
    Really stupid of you to state that. Trapp volcanics, specifially the Siberian Trapps, erupting onto ocean bottom clathrates as well as the very rapid increase in CO2 from such eruptions. Known by anyone that has done the least research on the period.

9. gslack

gslack Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +346
    Now ya see douchebag.. it was YOUR SOURCE SAID IT NOT ME.....:lol::lol:

I changed not a single word in any of that... All I did was make bold and enlarge the telling parts.... if you have issue with its assertions than you shouldn't have posted it...:lol:

10. uscitizen

uscitizen Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +4,807
    Aren't the natural methane deposits commonly known as natural gas?