I Have a single, one mouse Problem, and Need Help!

Mice are vermin and carry a variety of diseases for you, hubby and your kitty.
Just to name a few:
Hantavirus Pulmonary Syndrome
Hemorrhagic Fever with Renal Syndrome
Lassa Fever
Leptospirosis
Lymphocytic Chorio-meningitis (LCM)
Omsk Hemorrhagic Fever
Plague
Rat-Bite Fever
Salmonellosis

Time to think with your head and not your heart....

the only thing mice are good for is for scientists to experiment on

If you get about 147 of them, you can make a hat. Or furry slippers.

What we are dealing with here is a perfect engine, an eating machine. It's really a miracle of evolution. All this machine does is swim and eat and make little sharks and that's all.....

So much empathy for the mouse. Here, DIY trap.

Thank you americano, that seems easy enough.... but why did he glue the corn to the lid and wouldn't the odor of the glue, make the corn unappetizing to the mouse?

He glued it so it doesn't fall off with the firs mouse. You can find many variations of this trap, this is one of the simplest to build, and instead of corn, use peanut butter.

I used to be all about not hurting the poor little mice in my house. Before long there were mouse turds on the kitchen counter every morning. Mouse traps didn't catch them all so I used poison. That didn't do the trick so I started feeding the feral cats. They hang around and kill the mice outside before they come inside (or come back inside).
there is no way for the mice to get in here unless brought in by the kitty, we don't really live near other houses either, they are field mice around here and I only have this one mouse, there have been no sign of mouse turds anywhere yet... so he or she must be doing it in the cellar or wall it is living in.... yuk! it must have been a baby mouse or male, because there were and are, no other mice, but the one mouse.... thoroughly enjoying the warmth inside it seems.... and outsmarting my cat....I just can't kill it.... maybe Matt could, without telling me... I'm gonna take the info Penelope gave me and see if I can get these no kill traps to work....

Chances of there being only one mouse... about zero.

Chances she will have about 150 babies a year... pretty good.

They piss and shit very often and re often marking their spots, so chances of you eating some peedy food item are good too.

Squish it with a brick.

I've never had any luck with those no kill traps, use the old fashioned spring traps. If your objective is to catch this mouse and release it outside don't bother. Now that it knows how nice it is in the house (warm, food,water,no predators )it will never stay outside. Kill it with a trap or poison, put down several traps and if you catch it keep the traps out for a couple of weeks cause by now you probably have more than one . If you go the poison route don't waste your money on mouse poison go with rat poison, I have good luck with a brand called TomCat,ask someone at the hardware store.
I know it sounds a little extreme but I don't think you will be happy if he gets into your cupboards or you hear him (or her, better hope it's not a her) in the ceiling of your bedroom at 2 am. Been there done that. Good luck

We have a creek nearby and Muskrats, which look like rats but with a chubbier look to them.... they are hunted here in Maine.... don't know if it is actually for eating, or for their fur? It probably is 2 lbs.... when I thought it was a rat, I asked my neighbor about it, who is always offering up his gun, to get rid of any verminous creatures or nuisances, like my skunk, of which I told him was my pet, and hell no did I want him to kill it..... I am grateful for him taking care of a pack of coyote that were showing no fear of humans and encroaching our properties near daily... he has a little girl, that they began approaching near daily and he simply 'took care of them'....

anyway, I wanted him to take care of this rat I kept seeing by this vernal pool/creek area, and he was going to do such, but later told me it was a Muskrat, and I didn't need to worry about it being a rat.....
Food for the snakes, gators and snapping turtles down here.
One of my buddies likes to go spear-fishing those big aligator gar fish down in southern Texas .
alligator-gar-16.jpg

Nobody is holding that fish up. Strange.

Sheeeeesh….. all the post-apoc novels say 90% of Americans will die when the society-ending event occurs --- because they are too sentimental and clueless to be able to kill ANYTHING, either for defense or to eat.

I believe it.

Not me, I'll cut a bitch.

I wanna live a looong time.

the cat BROUGHT the mouse inside, it was not pregnant, there is just 1 mouse, now you guys need to shut up, and stop trying to scare me and make me in to an executioner..... though, my husband is ready to become one, even though he did pay all that money for the kill less traps, he did not want to kill it either.... but the cat has been out smarted and so have we, so I guess drastic measures are in order.... but it ain't gonna be me doing the killing.... that's what hubbies/men are for.....

We have a creek nearby and Muskrats, which look like rats but with a chubbier look to them.... they are hunted here in Maine.... don't know if it is actually for eating, or for their fur? It probably is 2 lbs.... when I thought it was a rat, I asked my neighbor about it, who is always offering up his gun, to get rid of any verminous creatures or nuisances, like my skunk, of which I told him was my pet, and hell no did I want him to kill it..... I am grateful for him taking care of a pack of coyote that were showing no fear of humans and encroaching our properties near daily... he has a little girl, that they began approaching near daily and he simply 'took care of them'....

anyway, I wanted him to take care of this rat I kept seeing by this vernal pool/creek area, and he was going to do such, but later told me it was a Muskrat, and I didn't need to worry about it being a rat.....
Food for the snakes, gators and snapping turtles down here.
One of my buddies likes to go spear-fishing those big aligator gar fish down in southern Texas .
alligator-gar-16.jpg

Nobody is holding that fish up. Strange.

i noticed that too?

That would be fun wouldn't it?...where the heck do you find a glue pad that size? that's for catching Kangaroos not mice.

Tractor supply, Lowe's, Home Depot, WalMart, Target....

hqdefault.jpg

I believe you should kill them, but there's not a chance in hell I would torture them to death like that.

People are all kinds of fucked up.

ok

Let me begin by saying, I have a kitty cat, who my husband and I love dearly! She was a stray, that found us and picked us, to be her caretaker, or chose us, to be her slaves.... :)

the lord only knows where she came from...? We have several thousands of acres of forest that surrounds us and neighborhood with maybe 10 to 15 homes in the whole area, two others on our dirt road and immediate area.....

Someone likely dropped her off and dumped her, the only other option is there is a Lobsterman, that has a whole compound of buildings and barns on his property that sits back in, and off the road, about a quarter of a mile away that we have seen a whole bunch of different cats lounging in the sun near the road... maybe she came from there?

Well, my kitty LOVES field mice (and shrimp)(and rabbit).... the shrimp in Maine are tiny, popcorn sized shrimp, not like Florida where I used to Shrimp off a bridge near the condo I lived in, and could catch almost colossal sized shrimp right off the bridge at night! Yummy! But if she is from the Lobsterman's house down the road, then him giving the dregs of his fishing to all of his barn cats, would make some sense to her loving them....

Any way, we broke her from catching the field mice and eating the mice a few years back, thank God! But then she changed to just catching the field mice and then bringing them home, (through a window that she jumps to so to get back in if 'mommy kitty', moi, is not paying attention and checking the door for her majesty, that I usually leave opened, when she is outside in the summer....)

Well, all other mice brought in, the hubby and kitty work together to corner it, catch it, and then hubby releases it in to the wood pile away from the house.... a typical routine....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

She brought a mouse in, when I was not looking, the end of summer.... had to be summer, because I clearly had the window opened.... for her to bring it in, maybe I was taking a nap, or in the shower? I don't know?

Anyway, we could not figure out why she kept sitting in front of the pantry closet, for hours at a time, for weeks... the pantry closet with shelves we put in, is in Matt's mancave right off the kitchen, so I wrote it off to her just wanting to be near 'daddy kitty' when he was home from work??? stupid stupid me!

So Matt finally decided, something was wrong, can't remember what triggered him? But decided to take everything out of the pantry, and low and behold, on the ground, under the shelving, a mouse had a nice comfy bed made out of its of torn cardboard. What a CHORE and Nightmare, we had to go through everything, look for holes or openings to anything packaged and threw out half the pantry goods, just to be safe... the mouse likes pasta! and bit in to a beef broth carton for his liquid....

So Matt cleared out completely the nest and disinfected the pantry floor and all the scuzzy things that husbands are good for.... :D

The mouse was never found.

HOWEVER, the bathroom off the mancave is where I have heard him... turns out, he fled to the cement enclosed crawl space below the house... he got in to the wall and flooring and crawl space by going through a tiny hole that the water pipes for our radiant heat, that come up from the crawl space, the heating unit is down there, plus the heating oil tank and water pump.... it's probably 3 and a half feet high down there.... we use it as storage....

I don't know what the mouse is eating now? we put everything in big plastic storage.

HOW CAN WE CATCH THE MOUSE WITHOUT KILLING THE MOUSE?

You likely got a billion recommendations for catching mice alive so I'll pass on that, but I'll pass on how I keep them out of my place. You said you looked for holes as in a hole that looks like a mouse came through it. I used to do this to, but you have to change your thinking to ANY hole period. If you can fit the tip of your pinky in it, then a mouse can squeeze through it. So caulk or plug those holes on the inside of the house. Look along every base board and in EVERY corner. Then go outside. If you have a brick home then take a skinny stick and poke it into the weep holes. You will find those on the bottom row of bricks and typically run up and down.

image.jpeg

If you notice there is a thing in there. That keeps the critters out. If yours are missing then go to Home Depot or wherever and get some stiff mesh or screen and stuff it in there. That should keep the mice out until they find another way in.

ok

Let me begin by saying, I have a kitty cat, who my husband and I love dearly! She was a stray, that found us and picked us, to be her caretaker, or chose us, to be her slaves.... :)

the lord only knows where she came from...? We have several thousands of acres of forest that surrounds us and neighborhood with maybe 10 to 15 homes in the whole area, two others on our dirt road and immediate area.....

Someone likely dropped her off and dumped her, the only other option is there is a Lobsterman, that has a whole compound of buildings and barns on his property that sits back in, and off the road, about a quarter of a mile away that we have seen a whole bunch of different cats lounging in the sun near the road... maybe she came from there?

Well, my kitty LOVES field mice (and shrimp)(and rabbit).... the shrimp in Maine are tiny, popcorn sized shrimp, not like Florida where I used to Shrimp off a bridge near the condo I lived in, and could catch almost colossal sized shrimp right off the bridge at night! Yummy! But if she is from the Lobsterman's house down the road, then him giving the dregs of his fishing to all of his barn cats, would make some sense to her loving them....

Any way, we broke her from catching the field mice and eating the mice a few years back, thank God! But then she changed to just catching the field mice and then bringing them home, (through a window that she jumps to so to get back in if 'mommy kitty', moi, is not paying attention and checking the door for her majesty, that I usually leave opened, when she is outside in the summer....)

Well, all other mice brought in, the hubby and kitty work together to corner it, catch it, and then hubby releases it in to the wood pile away from the house.... a typical routine....

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

She brought a mouse in, when I was not looking, the end of summer.... had to be summer, because I clearly had the window opened.... for her to bring it in, maybe I was taking a nap, or in the shower? I don't know?

Anyway, we could not figure out why she kept sitting in front of the pantry closet, for hours at a time, for weeks... the pantry closet with shelves we put in, is in Matt's mancave right off the kitchen, so I wrote it off to her just wanting to be near 'daddy kitty' when he was home from work??? stupid stupid me!

So Matt finally decided, something was wrong, can't remember what triggered him? But decided to take everything out of the pantry, and low and behold, on the ground, under the shelving, a mouse had a nice comfy bed made out of its of torn cardboard. What a CHORE and Nightmare, we had to go through everything, look for holes or openings to anything packaged and threw out half the pantry goods, just to be safe... the mouse likes pasta! and bit in to a beef broth carton for his liquid....

So Matt cleared out completely the nest and disinfected the pantry floor and all the scuzzy things that husbands are good for.... :D

The mouse was never found.

HOWEVER, the bathroom off the mancave is where I have heard him... turns out, he fled to the cement enclosed crawl space below the house... he got in to the wall and flooring and crawl space by going through a tiny hole that the water pipes for our radiant heat, that come up from the crawl space, the heating unit is down there, plus the heating oil tank and water pump.... it's probably 3 and a half feet high down there.... we use it as storage....

I don't know what the mouse is eating now? we put everything in big plastic storage.

HOW CAN WE CATCH THE MOUSE WITHOUT KILLING THE MOUSE?
You can use a live catch mouse trap... Walmart sell them online...

Strap it to a m-80 and chuck it outside.

I believe you should kill them, but there's not a chance in hell I would torture them to death like that.

People are all kinds of fucked up.
I don't believe in the torture of anything, not even an insect or maggot...I should have made it clear that I was just joking or maybe not have joked like that at all...my bad

Oh! I didn't mean to imply you did that or approve. I think some of my funny got trampled out today, lol!

My bad too...

Over-under on current number of mice currently in residence.

Mom, dad and one litter.

So far.

Gestatation 19ish days.

4 weeks to breeding age.

Next month geometric population explosion. They'll be everywhere in 60 days.

Been there, done that...

Forum List

Back