I hate Golf

I took up the game when I was 50 years old. It is virtually impossible for an adult to learn the game and play it well. This is because of the phenomenon of "muscle memory," which phenomenon cannot occur after age 16 or so. And the golf swing is so unnatural that unless it is embedded in muscle memory, it cannot be learned at all. A million repetitions are a waste of time, because every single one of them is different, and might be totally "wrong."

"Keep your head steady, lock your elbow, rotate your wrists, turn your shoulders..." The instruction never ends. with every swing the golf coach points out another "defect" in the pathetic player's swing. You can practice until your hands fall off but muscle memory never happens. Go out the next morning and hit some balls, and you might as well have taken a nap yesterday, for all the good those repetitions have made.

But the fact is, even the worst players hit an occasional good shot...MAYBE I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!

Forget about it. You will never get it right consistently. It isn't possible.

The guys I play with never practice. Never stretch. Never read an article, watch a YouTube video, get a lesson, videotape themselves, or spend time on the putting green. I do all of that, and we suck equally. It makes no difference.

For those who are familiar with Behavioral Psychology (i.e., B.F. Skinner), the addictive nature of golf should be obvious. The specific phenomenon is "intermittent reinforcement." It is the most powerful psychological addiction known to Man, and it has been shown to get pigeons to peck at a button thousands of times in the hope (anthropomorphistically speaking) of getting a single kernel of food.

Those random good shots - and they are random, not a manifestation of learned behavior - are what keeps golfers coming back to a game that generates more anger and frustration than a wayward daughter.

Bottom line: I cannot reconcile myself to how badly I suck, after 23 years of trying. If you don't golf, keep it up.

Yep, been through the exact same thing. Somehow its still fun though. hate it!

My link says that either you or your so-called general are fucking liars! That's all I need to know,
Only in your stolen valor existence.

fake admiral is a fucking liar

My link is actual news and proves you to be... wait for it.... a fucking liar. NBC News completely corroborates the general's story and confirms the premise that an experienced hangman could manipulate the knot to increase the suffering.

Do you feel stupid now? I mean stupider than usual obviously.

150210-navy-couple-jhc1118.jpg

Which one is you again?

I love smashing long irons. I probably wouldn't play if they were outlawed. The sweet spot on a forged 2-iron is about the size of a nickel, and not many people can make good contact with a club like that. Cheers
I'm happy you enjoy golf, as Do I.
Exactly you stupid fuck. And these Iraqi troops were under the command of this American general.

Why do you even bother, you fake fucking "admiral". Stolen valor - faggot style.
Fucking Tori pisses off every member.
Disclaimer.....Some people like me <15%, but nobody like this fuckstain, Admiral Rockwell Tory
Can we just talk Golf?

I Love Golf, I live in a Golf Community and drive my freaking Golf cart to the course, and ALWAYS shoot under 90.

My link is actual news and proves you to be... wait for it.... a fucking liar. NBC News completely corroborates the general's story and confirms the premise that an experienced hangman could manipulate the knot to increase the suffering.

View attachment 693812

Which one is you again?
Golf...dude......golf....leave it alone

Breaking 90 isn't "great at golf" :laughing0301: . It's average. A mechanically sound, repeatable swing should generate a 75 on an off day and 70 on a good day. Otherwise you're struggling with the mechanics and not making consistent shots. Doesn't mean you can't have fun with the game and enjoy the journey to a better swing.

I have a cage in my air-conditioned man-cave and I still hit ~100 balls per night. THAT'S how you get good at golf.

I took up the game when I was 50 years old. It is virtually impossible for an adult to learn the game and play it well. This is because of the phenomenon of "muscle memory," which phenomenon cannot occur after age 16 or so. And the golf swing is so unnatural that unless it is embedded in muscle memory, it cannot be learned at all. A million repetitions are a waste of time, because every single one of them is different, and might be totally "wrong."

"Keep your head steady, lock your elbow, rotate your wrists, turn your shoulders..." The instruction never ends. with every swing the golf coach points out another "defect" in the pathetic player's swing. You can practice until your hands fall off but muscle memory never happens. Go out the next morning and hit some balls, and you might as well have taken a nap yesterday, for all the good those repetitions have made.

But the fact is, even the worst players hit an occasional good shot...MAYBE I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!

Forget about it. You will never get it right consistently. It isn't possible.

The guys I play with never practice. Never stretch. Never read an article, watch a YouTube video, get a lesson, videotape themselves, or spend time on the putting green. I do all of that, and we suck equally. It makes no difference.

For those who are familiar with Behavioral Psychology (i.e., B.F. Skinner), the addictive nature of golf should be obvious. The specific phenomenon is "intermittent reinforcement." It is the most powerful psychological addiction known to Man, and it has been shown to get pigeons to peck at a button thousands of times in the hope (anthropomorphistically speaking) of getting a single kernel of food.

Those random good shots - and they are random, not a manifestation of learned behavior - are what keeps golfers coming back to a game that generates more anger and frustration than a wayward daughter.

Bottom line: I cannot reconcile myself to how badly I suck, after 23 years of trying. If you don't golf, keep it up.

What is this utter BS about "muscle memory cannot occur after age 16 or so"?

You got a source for that or did you just make it up? Because my own experience says no way.

Breaking 90 isn't "great at golf" :laughing0301: . It's average. A mechanically sound, repeatable swing should generate a 75 on an off day and 70 on a good day. Otherwise you're struggling with the mechanics and not making consistent shots. Doesn't mean you can't have fun with the game and enjoy the journey to a better swing.

I have a cage in my air-conditioned man-cave and I still hit ~100 balls per night. THAT'S how you get good at golf.

Here's what I know about golf. Our son is 25 and in his first professional job and he's a golfer. That means he will hunt up a course anywhere, he will get up at the crack of dawn only for golf, he subbed for some leagues, and I don't know what-all. My dad, also a golfer, was never more proud than when he said, "my grandson is a good golfer."

My husband....tries. heh

I'm happy to let them all do their thing.

What is this utter BS about "muscle memory cannot occur after age 16 or so"?

You got a source for that or did you just make it up? Because my own experience says no way.
You're exactly right. Scientists say you need to repeat a motion 2200 times to have it fully committed in your 'muscle memory'. I have no idea where they got that number. But there is no age limitation.

The ideal, repeatable swing is a commitment. Either you're willing to put in the time and find it, or you're not, and you'll probably never break 85. I play with guys everyday that are real happy to shoot a 92, and God love 'em they have other priorities and still enjoy the game. As long as they don't get mad when they shank one into a swimming pool I'm happy to pair up with them.

For anybody wanting to improve at golf I suggest youtube - Clay Ballard. Mike Malaska is good too. Clay is a little more technical.

Watch all their instruction videos on the legs/knees/hips. Forget the upper half. The idea is for your lower half to get you in a position to deliver the club properly (from inside the target line) and this CANNOT happen if you lower half is out of balance.

Let me tell you why. We all have an innate instinct deep in our subconscious to "stay on our feet". That instinct to 'not fall' is much greater than our desire to hit a good golf shot. The subconscious will re-route the club on the way down to maintain enough balance for you to stay upright and not fall over. This is what causes bad golf shots. It's all about balance!!!!!

Checking back...

• For the record, I am a "bogey golfer," sometimes better. That means on a par 72 course I shoot 90 or so. If I'm familiar with the course, 85, unfamiliar 95.
  • I have excellent hand-eye coordination, as demonstrated in baseball, basketball, tennis, and other sports. Golf is different.
  • EVERYBODY improves for the first three years. It's nothing to brag about. But you will be no better after ten years than you were after three.
  • My take on muscle memory was taken from an article written by a PhD exercise physiologist. It is no longer possible after 16 or so. Sorry for not retaining the link from 15 years ago. It simply doesn't happen with adults. You can practice all day long, and it doesn't happen. As for those 2200 repetitions, that is bullshit. As you go through them (theoretically) your muscles change through fatigue, flexibility, inattention, etc. Every swing is different. Andunless they are ALL correct (not humanly possible), you are practicing your flaws at the same time as your perfect swing (which, I acknowledge can be different for every golfer).
  • Taking lessons after you have been playing a while is a risky proposition. I have seen golfers so screwed up by a single lesson that their game went into the toilet for a year. Few instructors know when to shut up. If you take away two good tips from a lesson that is a blessing, but they want to keep talking for the whole half hour.
  • There are at least six different unorthodox playing techniques (Stack-n-Tilt, Natural Golf, Square-2-Square, etc.) which can be helpful to bring you up to Bogey Golf. Beyond that, forget about it.
  • Scoring well is a significant incentive to play golf, but there are others which must be considered. Fraternization, fresh air, being out in a very pleasant (usually) setting, getting a modicum of exercise...it's all good, but the game itself is "trying."
  • Putting and chipping are the only things that can improve markedly through practice. For everything else, you reach your level after about three years, and that's it. Even for the pro's.
  • Do you think professional golfers improve over the years with their millions of repetitions? No way. Every year there are new Phee-Noms who are young world beaters (e.g., J. Spieth, S. Garcia) at 22, and they never get the least bit better. Even Tiger Woods was no better in his "Prime" than he was when he was 22.

I agree every swing is unique (not different).

But the concept of landing on your left side and deflecting that momentum to clear your left side thru rotation is what your brain needs to learn. That is literally the difference between scratch golfers and weekend duffers. That concept needs to then be reinforced thru repetition, because the instinct to hit the ball (come over the top) returns instead of slinging the club thru rotation and letting the ball get in the way. Call it muscle memory, learning an athletic motion, doesn't matter, the concept is valid.

The good news, I find the land/deflect/rotate concept simple. The bad news, the actual execution is quite difficult. Most amateurs 'rotate their hips' which is absolutely the wrong way to accomplish the job. The rotation is accomplished thru knees bending and straightening at precise times and pressure applied thru the ground in more of a linear vector than circular.

I probably played 5 years before I ever felt that proper sequence of motions. I remember smoking a 5-iron 50 yards over a 160 yard par 3. That was 35 years ago. And the journey began. I made it a lifelong commitment. Most people have other interests, which is fine. There is nothing wrong with bogey golf if you enjoy the game.

Hit 'em straight.

Golf is one of the many sports that requires the ability to perform the exact same motion, time after time. Few people have the ability to do it, even with practice. NBA players can hit basket after basket in practice; that's ONE of the things that separates them from everyone else.

This is what amazes me about musicians, especially pianists, who are working ten fingers independently all the time...and the good ones can repeat it time after time without errors. Amazing.

For anybody wanting to improve at golf I suggest youtube - Clay Ballard. Mike Malaska is good too. Clay is a little more technical.

Watch all their instruction videos on the legs/knees/hips. Forget the upper half. The idea is for your lower half to get you in a position to deliver the club properly (from inside the target line) and this CANNOT happen if you lower half is out of balance.

Let me tell you why. We all have an innate instinct deep in our subconscious to "stay on our feet". That instinct to 'not fall' is much greater than our desire to hit a good golf shot. The subconscious will re-route the club on the way down to maintain enough balance for you to stay upright and not fall over. This is what causes bad golf shots. It's all about balance!!!!!
Ballard is too dryball for my tastes.....Tom Saguto and Eric Cogorno have a more engaging and playful approach.

Checking back...

• For the record, I am a "bogey golfer," sometimes better. That means on a par 72 course I shoot 90 or so. If I'm familiar with the course, 85, unfamiliar 95
For a casual player, that's well above average.
  • EVERYBODY improves for the first three years. It's nothing to brag about. But you will be no better after ten years than you were after three.
  • My take on muscle memory was taken from an article written by a PhD exercise physiologist. It is no longer possible after 16 or so. Sorry for not retaining the link from 15 years ago. It simply doesn't happen with adults. You can practice all day long, and it doesn't happen. As for those 2200 repetitions, that is bullshit. As you go through them (theoretically) your muscles change through fatigue, flexibility, inattention, etc. Every swing is different. Andunless they are ALL correct (not humanly possible), you are practicing your flaws at the same time as your perfect swing (which, I acknowledge can be different for every golfer).
Then I'll call your "PhD exercise psychologist" full of shit...."Muscle memory" is a product of the subconscious mind, which assimilates overlearned skills throughout your life.
  • Taking lessons after you have been playing a while is a risky proposition. I have seen golfers so screwed up by a single lesson that their game went into the toilet for a year. Few instructors know when to shut up. If you take away two good tips from a lesson that is a blessing, but they want to keep talking for the whole half hour.
That's because they have multiple bad swing habits, that need breaking and the new skills to be learned and assimilated....You sign up for lessons/coaching, be prepared for a commitment of a couple years of it.
  • There are at least six different unorthodox playing techniques (Stack-n-Tilt, Natural Golf, Square-2-Square, etc.) which can be helpful to bring you up to Bogey Golf. Beyond that, forget about it.
If that's your expectation, that's what you're going to continue to get.
  • Do you think professional golfers improve over the years with their millions of repetitions? No way. Every year there are new Phee-Noms who are young world beaters (e.g., J. Spieth, S. Garcia) at 22, and they never get the least bit better. Even Tiger Woods was no better in his "Prime" than he was when he was 22.
Nearly all the "phee-noms" are hitting drives in the 300 yard range....They're freaks of nature....Golf is super easy when you're playing a 9-iron and wedges into nearly every green.

View attachment 693812

Which one is you again?
Listen up, asshole! Your link proves nothing other than your so-called general may have read the same fucking article! Saddam was hanged on a joint Iraqi-American base by the Iraqis

FYI, I have been married nearly 40 years, have 3 kids and 4 grandchildren, so you can just fuck off and die you god-damned piece of shit!

I am paraphrasing this of course. Lee Trevino was once asked what would happen if he was out on the course when there was dangerous lightning. He said that he would hold a 2-iron over his head. When asked why, he said, "Because even God can't hit a 2-iron!". I hope God would have better luck in your case, you mealy-mouthed waste of oxygen!

Listen up, asshole! Your link proves nothing other than your so-called general may have read the same fucking article! Saddam was hanged on a joint Iraqi-American base by the Iraqis

FYI, I have been married nearly 40 years, have 3 kids and 4 grandchildren, so you can just fuck off and die you god-damned piece of shit!

I am paraphrasing this of course. Lee Trevino was once asked what would happen if he was out on the course when there was dangerous lightning. He said that he would hold a 2-iron over his head. When asked why, he said, "Because even God can't hit a 2-iron!". I hope God would have better luck in your case, you mealy-mouthed waste of oxygen!
You got caught lying about something that wasn't very important.... which means you'll lie about anything.

Here's to hoping you choke to death on your own vomit in the near future, you FAKE, STOLEN VALOR, filthy fucking animal.... and LIAR...

BTW, the Trevino story was about a 1-iron, not a 2-iron. Again with the lies. You don't seem to know shit about anything..... :laughing0301:

Even God can't hit a 1 iron - Lee Trevino

You got caught lying about something that wasn't very important.... which means you'll lie about anything.

Here's to hoping you choke to death on your own vomit in the near future, you FAKE, STOLEN VALOR, filthy fucking animal.... and LIAR...

BTW, the Trevino story was about a 1-iron, not a 2-iron. Again with the lies. You don't seem to know shit about anything..... :laughing0301:

Even God can't hit a 1 iron - Lee Trevino
What did I lie about, you ignorant pus-filled boil?

You obviously don't understand what the term "paraphrase" means either, you douche canoe!

You are simply too stupid to carry on a debate with! I'm done with criminally insane people like you!

What did I lie about, you ignorant pus-filled boil?

You obviously don't understand what the term "paraphrase" means either, you douche canoe!

You are simply too stupid to carry on a debate with! I'm done with criminally insane people like you!

I accept your concession that you're too stupid to match wits with me, and fart in general direction.

Enjoy.

Forum List

Back