I hate Golf

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I took up the game when I was 50 years old. It is virtually impossible for an adult to learn the game and play it well. This is because of the phenomenon of "muscle memory," which phenomenon cannot occur after age 16 or so. And the golf swing is so unnatural that unless it is embedded in muscle memory, it cannot be learned at all. A million repetitions are a waste of time, because every single one of them is different, and might be totally "wrong."

"Keep your head steady, lock your elbow, rotate your wrists, turn your shoulders..." The instruction never ends. with every swing the golf coach points out another "defect" in the pathetic player's swing. You can practice until your hands fall off but muscle memory never happens. Go out the next morning and hit some balls, and you might as well have taken a nap yesterday, for all the good those repetitions have made.

But the fact is, even the worst players hit an occasional good shot...MAYBE I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!

Forget about it. You will never get it right consistently. It isn't possible.

The guys I play with never practice. Never stretch. Never read an article, watch a YouTube video, get a lesson, videotape themselves, or spend time on the putting green. I do all of that, and we suck equally. It makes no difference.

For those who are familiar with Behavioral Psychology (i.e., B.F. Skinner), the addictive nature of golf should be obvious. The specific phenomenon is "intermittent reinforcement." It is the most powerful psychological addiction known to Man, and it has been shown to get pigeons to peck at a button thousands of times in the hope (anthropomorphistically speaking) of getting a single kernel of food.

Those random good shots - and they are random, not a manifestation of learned behavior - are what keeps golfers coming back to a game that generates more anger and frustration than a wayward daughter.

Bottom line: I cannot reconcile myself to how badly I suck, after 23 years of trying. If you don't golf, keep it up.

I suck at golf.

At my late brother in law's bachelor party (which started on a golf course at 6am), I hit a 35' chip shot with my 4 iron off the fringe for a birdie. I felt like Arnold Fucking Palmer. Later that day I did the whole "Happy Gilmore" thing where I ran up to it and smacked it like a slapshot. I drove the green and two-putted for par.

I was there primarily for the Bloody Mary's...

I played golf one time. Got banned from the course for life for having golf cart races with drunk buddies. The cources fault. They should have known better than to rent 4 carts to 4 drunk guys.

Everyone has their own swing... once you find it which a good pro can bring it out of you then a few corrections can be made and you are on your way...
To have someone bark instructions from a book at you as you T off doesn't work....

I don't hate golf, but I've never like it.....it means nothing to me! Zero. :dunno:

Just a matter of taste I suppose.

Attachments

• 1662681987418.png
    1662681987418.png
    17.3 KB · Views: 38
Kids are good at golf because they don't think too much... I tell them to walk over with this club and hit that ball.... and they do it... every time....

I took up the game when I was 50 years old. It is virtually impossible for an adult to learn the game and play it well. This is because of the phenomenon of "muscle memory," which phenomenon cannot occur after age 16 or so. And the golf swing is so unnatural that unless it is embedded in muscle memory, it cannot be learned at all. A million repetitions are a waste of time, because every single one of them is different, and might be totally "wrong."

"Keep your head steady, lock your elbow, rotate your wrists, turn your shoulders..." The instruction never ends. with every swing the golf coach points out another "defect" in the pathetic player's swing. You can practice until your hands fall off but muscle memory never happens. Go out the next morning and hit some balls, and you might as well have taken a nap yesterday, for all the good those repetitions have made.

But the fact is, even the worst players hit an occasional good shot...MAYBE I FINALLY FIGURED IT OUT!

Forget about it. You will never get it right consistently. It isn't possible.

The guys I play with never practice. Never stretch. Never read an article, watch a YouTube video, get a lesson, videotape themselves, or spend time on the putting green. I do all of that, and we suck equally. It makes no difference.

For those who are familiar with Behavioral Psychology (i.e., B.F. Skinner), the addictive nature of golf should be obvious. The specific phenomenon is "intermittent reinforcement." It is the most powerful psychological addiction known to Man, and it has been shown to get pigeons to peck at a button thousands of times in the hope (anthropomorphistically speaking) of getting a single kernel of food.

Those random good shots - and they are random, not a manifestation of learned behavior - are what keeps golfers coming back to a game that generates more anger and frustration than a wayward daughter.

Bottom line: I cannot reconcile myself to how badly I suck, after 23 years of trying. If you don't golf, keep it up.
All true. I will add that even if you did learn golf at a young age as I did, it is STILL hard as hell! Your margin for error is basically 1/2 inch in any direction from the center of the clubface that is moving 80 mph. I'm retired and could play every day but I don't play hardly at all but can usually shoot under 85 because I've played so many rounds at a young age. But if I played a lot and started shooting lower then I would want to shoot even lower and then get I'd get pissed off when I didn't. Golf is a total mind fuck.

All true. I will add that even if you did learn golf at a young age as I did, it is STILL hard as hell! Your margin for error is basically 1/2 inch in any direction from the center of the clubface that is moving 80 mph. I'm retired and could play every day but I don't play hardly at all but can usually shoot under 85 because I've played so many rounds at a young age. But if I played a lot and started shooting lower then I would want to shoot even lower and then get I'd get pissed off when I didn't. Golf is a total mind fuck.
Yet....

There is always, that one shot that is so effin beautiful.... That it sticks with you and makes you want to do another round.

Evil, evil game. I wish I could quit her. hehe

It's not for everybody which is part of the charm. The problem is, most golf instruction is taught completely backwards, even by "world class" teachers.

Golf is played BELOW THE WAIST. If you learn the proper positions/motions for your legs and hips everything above the waist will be instinctive. Hogan used to say "the secret is in the dirt" which translates to "the game is played from the feet up".

Enjoy the journey. I played with a retired general today that was in charge of hanging Saddam in Baghdad. He told me the story of the hangman making a special knot so he would choke to death instead of instantly breaking his neck. He did this because Saddam had killed his family with nerve gas. That's 1 story out of 40 years of playing golf. I wouldn't trade it for the world.

Most people think I hate sports, cause I have my little tantrums about how corrupt they are.

Sports themselves are fine and dandy! Awesome thing to get outside and play a game with your friends!

The problems I have are the corrupt rules and legislation in favor of putting people who play with their balls, unpon pedistals, and the heinous amounts they get paid to play with a fucking ball!!! THAT I have problems with!!

I suck at golf.

At my late brother in law's bachelor party (which started on a golf course at 6am), I hit a 35' chip shot with my 4 iron off the fringe for a birdie. I felt like Arnold Fucking Palmer. Later that day I did the whole "Happy Gilmore" thing where I ran up to it and smacked it like a slapshot. I drove the green and two-putted for par.

I was there primarily for the Bloody Mary's...
You have the right attitude toward golf

Go out, have a good time, only remember your good shots and go drinking afterwards

Forum List

Back