I don't really understand the Dems' "need," for lack of a better word, for a national $15 min wage.

I don't doubt or disagree with NYC or other urban areas, esp progressive ones, logically wanting the raise. Or the need of workers. But in rural states, min wage jobs sometimes just supplement rural life of raising and growing one's own food. It will kill jobs, because the people who buy retail goods are the same ones working the jobs. Employers will consolidate gas stations, small grocery's and maybe even Wal-Marts. It just seems typical leftwing elitism to think places like Ala and Miss and WV can't figure out their own state economies.

Entry level jobs will disappear. Employers will not train employees @ $15/Hr.; Restaurant workers better get used to no tips--I am not going to pay an inflated price for a meal (to cover higher wages) and give the server a tip too. Most servers I have known make more in tips than their wage. We've already been set up for a gig economy--especially with covid. Got skills? If not, you'll be on the dole before too long.

You are 100% correct with all your points.

In the 10th grade, I turned 16 and got my first "real job" bagging groceries at a major chain. My pay was $0.85 per hour plus tips. That was in 1960 and that 85 cents was 15 cents below the minimum wage. For that 85 cents to $1.00 I could buy about 3 gallons of regular gas. Today one can still buy about three gallons of gas for that minimum wage of $7.25.

Working for tips that early on taught me valuable lessons, the harder I worked and the better service I gave, the more money I made. We all made many times our minimum wage which really amounted to some frosting on the cake at the end of the week. I could fill my F-100 pickup with gas and I was good for the week!

minimum-wage-cartoon_zps4r8nklh9_1%20%281%29-S.jpg

High%20School-S.jpg

I don't doubt or disagree with NYC or other urban areas, esp progressive ones, logically wanting the raise. Or the need of workers. But in rural states, min wage jobs sometimes just supplement rural life of raising and growing one's own food. It will kill jobs, because the people who buy retail goods are the same ones working the jobs. Employers will consolidate gas stations, small grocery's and maybe even Wal-Marts. It just seems typical leftwing elitism to think places like Ala and Miss and WV can't figure out their own state economies.
Fifty years ago, minimum wage buying power was considerably stronger. One hour of work would buy five gallons of gasoline. Today, one hour of work at federal minimum wage about a gallon-and-a-half.

Fifty years ago, minimum wage, one hour of work would buy five loaves of bread and get back change. Today, one hour of work at federal minimum wage, a little over two loaves.

Fifty years ago, minimum wage, working forty hour a week, one income could support a family of three (That would be a married couple with one child).

Fifty years ago, minimum wage, a teenager, working part-time, living with his/her parents, attending college classes could buy a muscle car. Today, the same situation, the teenager buys a used bicycle.

The list goes on, but, the RWNJs are convinced, in the good old days minimum wage workers had life much too good. They want minimum wage workers to rely on social programs to survive, so they can b!tch about how lazy the working poor have become.

In 1970, minimum wage $1.60 and the average price of gas .36c.
Todays minimum wage is what $7.50 with gas around $2.40 around $2.00 at the end of last year before biden snuck in.....oh and fyi, this includes TAXES tacked onto gas NOW which wasn't then.

HELLO...

... [Gradually increasing the minimum wage rate] of course, this defeats the purpose, leaving minimum wage earners with the same relative income value they had before the adjustments, but it lets politicians pretend that they did something useful to help out the poor.
DBlack, you’re entirely incorrect. Every increase of the federal minimum wage is an increase of that rate’s purchasing power. That’s its purpose and justification.

That's the excuse, yes, and I'm telling you that it's delusional. Value is determined by the market, not government decree. You can slap a different number on it, but ultimately the market will rebalance, adjusting all the other numbers such that the value remains the same. You can't just wave a magic government wand and change that.

The logic of MW mandates is exactly the same as pretending that we'd all be ten times wealthier if we just add zeros to all our dollar bill denominations. While that might seem reasonable to many of the people who support MW, it wouldn't work, because vendors would do likewise with prices, and we'd be right back where we started. You're chasing your tail.

Last edited:
DBlack, you’re entirely incorrect. Every increase of the federal minimum wage is an increase of that rate’s purchasing power. That’s its purpose and justification.

To the extent of its purchasing power, the federal minimum wage rate reduces the incidences and poverty among the working poor. Permitting the rate’s purchasing power to lag the U.S. dollar’s inflation rate reduces the minimum rate’s ability to accomplish its purpose. Respectfully, Supposn

Poor people have been voting Democrat for fifty years and they're still poor. - Basketball Legend Sir Charles Barkley

Minimum wage laws interfere with individual contracts where two parties agree for work at a mutually advantageous compensation. Those completely ignorant of economics state otherwise to the great detriment of the poor. Read Walter Williams and Thomas Sowell and learn.

Would you work for someone who offered you a wage of $1 an hour? That is your bargaining power... businesses compete for labor.

Somebody is missing the Big Picture, big time.
I worked for eight years for 0 dollars per hour, almost full time, on my association's board of directors.
In the process, I saved homeowners $600,000. All over America, people work for... NOTHING.

So stop preaching about "living wages" when it's perfectly lawful to work for NOTHING.

I still work every day for my community, picking up litter, reporting problems, burning street lights, electrical hazards, and picking up dead animals from the streets. It's a man's job. If it makes you squeamish, little girl, leave it to real men.

I also pull over for women with car problems, changing their tires or sometimes pushing them out of traffic and into a safe spot. Most people just drive on by. Imagine it is your own wife or daughter.
That was not your primary job.

Entry level jobs will disappear. Employers will not train employees @ $15/Hr.; Restaurant workers better get used to no tips--I am not going to pay an inflated price for a meal (to cover higher wages) and give the server a tip too. Most servers I have known make more in tips than their wage. We've already been set up for a gig economy--especially with covid. Got skills? If not, you'll be on the dole before too long.

The United States of America federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees who receive at least $30 per month in tips. If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any week, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate.--https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage#Tipped_minimum_wage_law

To the extent of its purchasing power, the federal minimum wage rate reduces the incidences and poverty among the working poor. Permitting the rate’s purchasing power to lag the U.S. dollar’s inflation rate reduces the minimum rate’s ability to accomplish its purpose. Respectfully, Supposn

Show us. You can't because it is entirely false. Why lie?

There is no reason whatsoever for there to be a federal minimum wage. Our country is far too diverse and the individual cities and states can do as they wish.

The rate of poverty in 2019 was 10.5 percent. In 2016, that rate was 12.7 percent. Had there been an increase in the minimum wage? No, of course not. In 1967, when President Johnson's failed "War on Poverty" went into effect, the unemployment rate was 14.7 percent which is not, you'll agree, a significant decrease to 12.7 percent. That after spending trillions and trillions of dollars and federal minimum wage increases.
2021-02-04%20Poverty%20Level%202019%2010%205-L.jpg

Is that why the federal minimum wage stagnated for over a decade?

Poor people have been voting Democrat for fifty years and they're still poor. - Basketball Legend Sir Charles Barkley

Minimum wage laws interfere with individual contracts where two parties agree for work at a mutually advantageous compensation. Those completely ignorant of economics state otherwise to the great detriment of the poor. Read Walter Williams and Thomas Sowell and learn.
They would have been even more poor voting republican.

Minimum wage laws should make sure employers are not passing labor costs to the public sector for their own bottom line.

The United States of America federal government requires a wage of at least $2.13 per hour be paid to employees who receive at least $30 per month in tips. If wages and tips do not equal the federal minimum wage of $7.25 per hour during any week, the employer is required to increase cash wages to compensate.--https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tipped_wage#Tipped_minimum_wage_law

img_1313-whats-your-point-nana-meme-S.jpg

There is no reason whatsoever for there to be a federal minimum wage. Our country is far too diverse and the individual cities and states can do as they wish.

The rate of poverty in 2019 was 10.5 percent. In 2016, that rate was 12.7 percent. Had there been an increase in the minimum wage? No, of course not. In 1967, when President Johnson's failed "War on Poverty" went into effect, the unemployment rate was 14.7 percent which is not, you'll agree, a significant decrease to 12.7 percent. That after spending trillions and trillions of dollars and federal minimum wage increases.

It proves why a federal minimum wage is useless.

Real median household income in the United States in 2010 was $49,445

In 2020, $68,400.00 was the median household income in the United States.

How do those facts support raising the minimum wage?

The Cost of social services. Stop whining about taxes for them or raise the minimum wage until even the Poor pay their share of taxes.

The Cost of social services. Stop whining about taxes for them or raise the minimum wage until even the Poor pay their share of taxes.

Typical of the far-left Democrat. When asked a reasonable question that they cannot answer, they respond by asking a question that was not asked.

You just sound foolish.

Taxthemselvestoprosperity-S.jpg

How does the minimum wage affect the income of those who do not/cannot work?
Does anything we do to the minimum wage affect those people or the poverty in which they live?
Raising the minimum wage will most certainly help the working poor but will do nothing for the non-working poor.
Unemployment compensation that faithfully conforms to our at-will employment laws could solve simple poverty in a market friendly manner. Right wingers also have a problem with that.
You should join our show tonight, we look for Dems. to come on and explain this new direction we're heading towards.

Typical of the far-left Democrat. When asked a reasonable question that they cannot answer, they respond by asking a question that was not asked.

You just sound foolish.

Taxthemselvestoprosperity-S.jpg
They also use the same words as a way to synchronize the bs they spread throughout news and social media. We see them and that scares them.

How does the minimum wage affect the income of those who do not/cannot work?
Does anything we do to the minimum wage affect those people or the poverty in which they live?
Raising the minimum wage will most certainly help the working poor but will do nothing for the non-working poor.
Unemployment compensation that faithfully conforms to our at-will employment laws could solve simple poverty in a market friendly manner. Right wingers also have a problem with that.
You should join our show tonight, we look for Dems. to come on and explain this new direction we're heading towards.

I would, but I am still too bashful and shy due to my low numbers and lack of practice. If only women believed more in equality and being real women who love to insist guys can't be bashful or shy incels with low numbers and lack of practice when she is around.

Woe is me, I am the victim.

I am not the one complaining about taxes.

No surprise, as you know, forty-seven percent of workers pay no Federal Income Tax. Why would you care?

Greed-S.jpg
Means nothing since doubling the minimum wage means more people would be paying income tax.

And, I have never understood why right wingers complain about taxes when according to them, the Poor can simply get a better job to lift themselves out of poverty by making more money to where paying taxes doesn't bother them.

I am not the one complaining about taxes.

No surprise, as you know, forty-seven percent of workers pay no Federal Income Tax. Why would you care?

Greed-S.jpg
Means nothing since doubling the minimum wage means more people would be paying income tax.

And, I have never understood why right wingers complain about taxes when according to them, the Poor can simply get a better job to lift themselves out of poverty by making more money to where paying taxes doesn't bother them.

Do you have the same job you had in high school for the same wage?

Do people remain in the same tax bracket all their lives or do they move up and down the brackets?

Think. What single entity benefits from an increase in the minimum wage?

Forum List

Back