I don't know....maybe I'm wrong but I think this is shitty.

airplanemechanic

Diamond Member
Nov 8, 2014
I had to quit my job back in September because of numerous OSHA violations in our warehouse that I was forced to work with someone in even though it wasn't my job. Well, 2 weeks later he burned the facility to the ground so I know I made the right choice. I have had a few offers for jobs since but none were any good. I called a friend of mine I knew from another job and asked him what he had. He told me he could put me a truck. Well I needed a CDL to drive it and so I took him at his word, went to CDL school, spent a couple thousand dollars (mind you, I'm out of work right now) and got my CDL. After about a week he called me and said he got me a test drive. I go test drive, they want me to float, I always double clutch but floating isn't that hard. The guy comes in and tells the boss I did good. He says I'll hear from them that afternoon.

I call back the next day and they're waiting for my paperwork and background checks and shit. Ok cool. Fast forward a few days and I call and the boss got hurt and is now out of the office. He'll be back in on Monday. I call Monday, NOW THERE IS A FUCKING HIRING FREEZE AT THE COMPANY!!! I"m like WTF a hiring freeze over the fucking weekend? Turns out yes, the main owner of the company enacted a hiring freeze. Now I'm fucking stuck with a 2000 dollar CDL bill and no fucking job. Nobody else in the area is hiring new drivers, I knew that the only reason I enrolled was this guys word that he could get me in. He's pretty high up in the company but fuck.

Well I call him and very nicely give him a piece of my mind. He said that I'll be the first person they hire once the hiring freeze is lifted. I said well WHEN THE FUCK WILL THAT BE. He didn't know.

I would normally be the first person to say that a company has a right not to hire anyone they want, but after you tell them you'll give them a job, they spend the money to go to school and acquire all necessary licenses to do this job, then tell them oh no, sorry, hiring freeze.......I think thats pretty damn shitty.

the owner didn't tell you that you would have a job if you got the license neither did the manager.

your buddy fucked you.

but I have great advice; buy a paper this Sunday, read the funnies, read the sports, do the crossword puzzle, pull out the classified adds, tape them to the wall, get a dart, throw it at the paper, look at the add it hit and tell them you have a cdl, you will have a job by Friday.

good lord, cdl is in such huge demand

In future, GET IT IN WRITING. If you did, you could have maybe got reimbursed. But you didn't. Lesson learned. Meanwhile, I hope you find something soon.

but I have great advice; buy a paper this Sunday, read the funnies, read the sports, do the crossword puzzle, pull out the classified adds, tape them to the wall, get a dart, throw it at the paper, look at the add it hit and tell them you have a cdl, you will have a job by Friday.

good lord, cdl is in such huge demand

Not without experience. Read on all the ads, it says must have experience. I don't have driving experience, but I have 2 college degrees, and airplane mechanics license, a pilots license and even a HAM radio license. But no, I can't get a job because I don't have experience driving. Go figure.

They only need about 10k drivers right now, I am sure you will have no problem getting a job with a trucking company..My son seems to have no problem getting a driver job..

I had to quit my job back in September because of numerous OSHA violations in our warehouse that I was forced to work with someone in even though it wasn't my job. Well, 2 weeks later he burned the facility to the ground so I know I made the right choice. I have had a few offers for jobs since but none were any good. I called a friend of mine I knew from another job and asked him what he had. He told me he could put me a truck. Well I needed a CDL to drive it and so I took him at his word, went to CDL school, spent a couple thousand dollars (mind you, I'm out of work right now) and got my CDL. After about a week he called me and said he got me a test drive. I go test drive, they want me to float, I always double clutch but floating isn't that hard. The guy comes in and tells the boss I did good. He says I'll hear from them that afternoon.

I call back the next day and they're waiting for my paperwork and background checks and shit. Ok cool. Fast forward a few days and I call and the boss got hurt and is now out of the office. He'll be back in on Monday. I call Monday, NOW THERE IS A FUCKING HIRING FREEZE AT THE COMPANY!!! I"m like WTF a hiring freeze over the fucking weekend? Turns out yes, the main owner of the company enacted a hiring freeze. Now I'm fucking stuck with a 2000 dollar CDL bill and no fucking job. Nobody else in the area is hiring new drivers, I knew that the only reason I enrolled was this guys word that he could get me in. He's pretty high up in the company but fuck.

Well I call him and very nicely give him a piece of my mind. He said that I'll be the first person they hire once the hiring freeze is lifted. I said well WHEN THE FUCK WILL THAT BE. He didn't know.

I would normally be the first person to say that a company has a right not to hire anyone they want, but after you tell them you'll give them a job, they spend the money to go to school and acquire all necessary licenses to do this job, then tell them oh no, sorry, hiring freeze.......I think thats pretty damn shitty.

Stop whining and go shop your skills around elsewhere.

When you pay 2000 dollars to acquire skills to get a job someone says you have then pull the rug out under you, that's not bitching. That's shitty. And I've applied at over 400 jobs since Jan1, and had no calls back. People don't understand how tough it is down here. All the oilfield layoffs mean that when you apply for a job it'll say between 250 and 500 people have applied for the same position.

When you pay 2000 dollars to acquire skills to get a job someone says you have then pull the rug out under you, that's not bitching. That's shitty. And I've applied at over 400 jobs since Jan1, and had no calls back. People don't understand how tough it is down here. All the oilfield layoffs mean that when you apply for a job it'll say between 250 and 500 people have applied for the same position.

Keep looking, apply for a different kind of job, or move to where there are more opportunities. You went out and gained additional skills that should make you more marketable, but whining like a little bitch won't get you anywhere.

It's not your friends fault.
He had no say or idea, in what the main owner of the company did.

No its not his fault, they wouldn't have put me in a truck for a test drive had they really not wanted to hire me. So they really were looking to hire one week and then froze the next. I mean he got me a test drive when NOBODY else who applied got one. So he does have some pull in the company.

95% of the jobs you see are over the road (OTR) jobs. I'm not interested in that, I want to stay local and be home in my bed every night. There is not much here locally because its all concrete trucks and none are hiring because the economy is so shitty nobody is building houses or anything anymore.

Last edited:
No, after spending 2 grand on training, now its I need. I have a family so I need to be home nightly.

No its not his fault, they wouldn't have put me in a truck for a test drive had they really not wanted to hire me. So they really were looking to hire one week and then froze the next. I mean he got me a test drive when NOBODY else who applied got one. So he does have some pull in the company.

95% of the jobs you see are over the road (OTR) jobs. I'm not interested in that, I want to stay local and be home in my bed every night. There is not much here locally because its all concrete trucks and none are hiring because the economy is so shitty nobody is building houses or anything anymore.
Ever thought of the airplane maintenance industry for work?

Ever thought of the airplane maintenance industry for work?

Of course, and I worked there briefly. Got laid off due to downturn in the economy and now there are no jobs because the offshore oil industry is shut down, so no helicopters flying offshore anymore. That was the big demand for a long time, heli mechanics. Now there is nothing. Yet another industry I spent 6000 dollars getting a license for that didn't pay off.

this smells funny.

what's a guy with two college degrees doing trying to get a truck driving job?

I suggest you take the "on the road job" until your friend can come through for you. Even if he doesn't, it gives you the experience to get the local job.

I went to 5.5 years of college and got an Engineering job only to work overnights and play glorified operator/maintenance guy at a research facility for 2 years. Best experience I ever had.

Forum List

Back