I don't know....maybe I'm wrong but I think this is shitty.

Because there is a huge university nearby spitting out 5000 graduates every 4 months. Having 2 college degrees doesn't mean much anymore. One of my degrees was from the aviation college, its not like I went there to get a 2nd degree but since they offered it and I had already paid the tuition, I took it.

I had to quit my job back in September because of numerous OSHA violations in our warehouse that I was forced to work with someone in even though it wasn't my job. Well, 2 weeks later he burned the facility to the ground so I know I made the right choice. I have had a few offers for jobs since but none were any good. I called a friend of mine I knew from another job and asked him what he had. He told me he could put me a truck. Well I needed a CDL to drive it and so I took him at his word, went to CDL school, spent a couple thousand dollars (mind you, I'm out of work right now) and got my CDL. After about a week he called me and said he got me a test drive. I go test drive, they want me to float, I always double clutch but floating isn't that hard. The guy comes in and tells the boss I did good. He says I'll hear from them that afternoon.

I call back the next day and they're waiting for my paperwork and background checks and shit. Ok cool. Fast forward a few days and I call and the boss got hurt and is now out of the office. He'll be back in on Monday. I call Monday, NOW THERE IS A FUCKING HIRING FREEZE AT THE COMPANY!!! I"m like WTF a hiring freeze over the fucking weekend? Turns out yes, the main owner of the company enacted a hiring freeze. Now I'm fucking stuck with a 2000 dollar CDL bill and no fucking job. Nobody else in the area is hiring new drivers, I knew that the only reason I enrolled was this guys word that he could get me in. He's pretty high up in the company but fuck.

Well I call him and very nicely give him a piece of my mind. He said that I'll be the first person they hire once the hiring freeze is lifted. I said well WHEN THE FUCK WILL THAT BE. He didn't know.

I would normally be the first person to say that a company has a right not to hire anyone they want, but after you tell them you'll give them a job, they spend the money to go to school and acquire all necessary licenses to do this job, then tell them oh no, sorry, hiring freeze.......I think thats pretty damn shitty.
You sound like you think you are owed a job. That is not the case.

I do have job experience but its in very specific industries. I worked as a manager at an airport for almost 10 years. Well, having that kind of management experience isn't going to make someone hiring a manager for a store or anywhere else want to hire you. I am actually overqualified for most of what I apply for, that's the problem.

And no I don't think I'm owed a job but I want 2000 dollars back that I spent solely because I was told if I did I'd have a job on the other side. There were lots of students at the CDL school with pre-hires. That's when someone tells you you have a job if you graduate. It just so happens mine fell through.

Ever thought of the airplane maintenance industry for work?

Of course, and I worked there briefly. Got laid off due to downturn in the economy and now there are no jobs because the offshore oil industry is shut down, so no helicopters flying offshore anymore. That was the big demand for a long time, heli mechanics. Now there is nothing. Yet another industry I spent 6000 dollars getting a license for that didn't pay off.

Boeing in Charleston and gulfstream in Savannah are looking for mechanics with and AP licence , even hiring contractors with per Diem added

I live in Louisiana. My entire family and extended family live within 20 miles of me. I'm not moving to chase a job. I learned that once, spent 3 grand, got laid off, and had to come back.

Um no, I can't leave my house overnight.

Fuck you, then get out of my thread fucking ass hole. How the fuck would I move anyway dumbass? If I don't have a job I don't have money to buy a house or rent anywhere, dumb shit.

Stupid people like you are the whole reason I have two college degrees. You obviously don't.

You have the license so the money isn't wasted. There was no guarentee you would even pass, correct? I'd just do what you can for now and try to patch things up with the company contact, going off on him wasn't a good career move. There are no guarantees in life, all you can do is improve or decrease the odds.

Yes I know, and he said I will talk to the dispatcher and you will be the next person we hire when we lift the freeze. He said just be patient.

I had to quit my job back in September because of numerous OSHA violations in our warehouse that I was forced to work with someone in even though it wasn't my job. Well, 2 weeks later he burned the facility to the ground so I know I made the right choice. I have had a few offers for jobs since but none were any good. I called a friend of mine I knew from another job and asked him what he had. He told me he could put me a truck. Well I needed a CDL to drive it and so I took him at his word, went to CDL school, spent a couple thousand dollars (mind you, I'm out of work right now) and got my CDL. After about a week he called me and said he got me a test drive. I go test drive, they want me to float, I always double clutch but floating isn't that hard. The guy comes in and tells the boss I did good. He says I'll hear from them that afternoon.

I call back the next day and they're waiting for my paperwork and background checks and shit. Ok cool. Fast forward a few days and I call and the boss got hurt and is now out of the office. He'll be back in on Monday. I call Monday, NOW THERE IS A FUCKING HIRING FREEZE AT THE COMPANY!!! I"m like WTF a hiring freeze over the fucking weekend? Turns out yes, the main owner of the company enacted a hiring freeze. Now I'm fucking stuck with a 2000 dollar CDL bill and no fucking job. Nobody else in the area is hiring new drivers, I knew that the only reason I enrolled was this guys word that he could get me in. He's pretty high up in the company but fuck.

Well I call him and very nicely give him a piece of my mind. He said that I'll be the first person they hire once the hiring freeze is lifted. I said well WHEN THE FUCK WILL THAT BE. He didn't know.

I would normally be the first person to say that a company has a right not to hire anyone they want, but after you tell them you'll give them a job, they spend the money to go to school and acquire all necessary licenses to do this job, then tell them oh no, sorry, hiring freeze.......I think thats pretty damn shitty.

Have you tried being an Uber driver?

Yes, I signed up and am waiting for approval. But it appears its not a good way to make money anyway, especially since I live in the middle of nowhere. I don't think I'll be approved because all I own is a motorcycle and a 2 door truck. I'm not driving my F250 diesel around. I would lose money on fuel costs.

Fuck you, then get out of my thread fucking ass hole. How the fuck would I move anyway dumbass? If I don't have a job I don't have money to buy a house or rent anywhere, dumb shit.

Stupid people like you are the whole reason I have two college degrees. You obviously don't.

Wrong again, whiner.

Yes, I signed up and am waiting for approval. But it appears its not a good way to make money anyway, especially since I live in the middle of nowhere. I don't think I'll be approved because all I own is a motorcycle and a 2 door truck. I'm not driving my F250 diesel around. I would lose money on fuel costs.

"I'm not doing this, I won't do that, I want this, I want that..."

You're worrying about but the real problem.

I live in Louisiana. My entire family and extended family live within 20 miles of me. I'm not moving to chase a job. I learned that once, spent 3 grand, got laid off, and had to come back.

Um no, I can't leave my house overnight.

No wonder you took your frustration on me. You have 2 college degrees + management experience but looking for truck driver job. Something is not right here bud and I suspect you've been down for awhile. As others mentioned here there are demand for truck drivers and airplane mechanic depending where you are located.
As I previously mentioned in other thread I'm having a hard time finding people to hire. If there's no job in your area then you better do something different don't you think? My advice to you is........... It's not what you demand to succeed it's what you need to do succeed. Adjust.

An absurd number of jobs around the world are going unfilled

Last edited:
Stop whining and go shop your skills around elsewhere.

When you pay 2000 dollars to acquire skills to get a job someone says you have then pull the rug out under you, that's not bitching. That's shitty. And I've applied at over 400 jobs since Jan1, and had no calls back. People don't understand how tough it is down here. All the oilfield layoffs mean that when you apply for a job it'll say between 250 and 500 people have applied for the same position.

Talk to Ray from Cleveland... He is always saying there is thousands of truck driver jobs on here

Another good source is Craigslist. A lot of smaller companies post openings there when they don't want to get flooded by people who'll throw their resume at any opening that comes up regardless if they're qualified or not.

To the OP:
Check around at your local container yards, if you have any. They might not even advertise that there's an opening.
From what I've seen, worst case you might have an overnight run, but rarely.. the balance of the drivers make several short hauls per day.
There's one local to me that even has a $1500-$2000 signing bonus.

Forum List

Back