I Didn't Know Fire Exits Needed

Connery

Rookie
Oct 19, 2012
"The owner of a Bangladesh clothing factory where a fire killed 112 people says he was never informed the facility was required to have an emergency exit, a sign of how far removed the leaders of the nation's garment industry are from issues of worker safety.

"It was my fault. But nobody told me that there was no emergency exit, which could be made accessible from outside," factory owner Delwar Hossain was quoted Thursday as telling The Daily Star newspaper. "Nobody even advised me to install one like that, apart from the existing ones." "I could have done it. But nobody ever suggested that I do it."

Factory Owner: I Didn't Know Fire Exits Needed - ABC News

Common sense is not one of this business owner's strong points. Moreover, I do not believe a word of his story.

This is reminiscent of the The Triangle Shirtwaist Fire (1911) NYC where the fire exits while built were blocked or locked. The fire caused the deaths of 146 garment workers and at trial, the average recovery was $75 per life lost.

"The owner of a Bangladesh clothing factory where a fire killed 112 people says he was never informed the facility was required to have an emergency exit, a sign of how far removed the leaders of the nation's garment industry are from issues of worker safety.

"It was my fault. But nobody told me that there was no emergency exit, which could be made accessible from outside," factory owner Delwar Hossain was quoted Thursday as telling The Daily Star newspaper. "Nobody even advised me to install one like that, apart from the existing ones." "I could have done it. But nobody ever suggested that I do it."

Common sense is not one of this business owner's strong points. Moreover, I do not believe a word of his story.

This is reminiscent of the The Triangle Shirtwaist Fire (1911) NYC where the fire exits while built were blocked or locked. The fire caused the deaths of 146 garment workers and at trial, the average recovery was $75 per life lost.

Does Bangladesh have building codes? ABC news is a liberal news source. Liberals make things up based on how they feel about equality. We have building codes, so of course, Bangladesh has the same building codes.

I don't believe a word of this story, especially it being his story.

• Banned

Does Bangladesh have building codes? ABC news is a liberal news source. Liberals make things up based on how they feel about equality. We have building codes, so of course, Bangladesh has the same building codes.

I don't believe a word of this story, especially it being his story.

Apparently they do need fire exits. "The owner of a Bangladesh clothing factory where a fire killed 112 people says he was never informed the facility was required to have an emergency exit". "Labor Minister Rajiuddin Ahmed Raju said that factories without emergency exits — or with only one such exit — will be forced to close until they upgrade their safety infrastructure. It was not clear when and how that directive will be enforced."
The Associated Press: Factory owner: I didn't know fire exits needed

Granny says dat's the old 'I just fell off a turnip truck' defense - don't lissen to him...
:mad:
Factory owner: I didn't know fire exits needed
Nov 29,`12 -- The owner of a Bangladesh clothing factory where a fire killed 112 people says he was never informed the facility was required to have an emergency exit, a sign of how far removed the leaders of the nation's garment industry are from issues of worker safety.
"It was my fault. But nobody told me that there was no emergency exit, which could be made accessible from outside," factory owner Delwar Hossain was quoted Thursday as telling The Daily Star newspaper. "Nobody even advised me to install one like that, apart from the existing ones." "I could have done it. But nobody ever suggested that I do it," said Hossain, who could not be reached for comment by The Associated Press on Thursday. Activists in the South Asian country hope the tragedy will invigorate their lengthy - but so far fruitless - efforts to upgrade safety standards and force stronger government oversight of the powerful industry.

The Tazreen Fashions Ltd. factory in a Dhaka suburb was making clothes for Wal-Mart, Sears, Disney and other major global retailers. When a fire broke out over the weekend, many of the 1,400 workers were trapped inside the eight-story building because exit doors were locked. A fire official said the death toll would have been much lower if the factory had had an emergency exit. Police said they were interrogating three factory managers on possible negligence charges. Workers said as they tried to escape the fire they found exit doors were locked. An AP reporter who visited the damaged factory Wednesday found three stairways but no special fire exits.

Hossain, a former accounts manager at another garment factory, set up his own clothing business, Tuba Textiles Mills Ltd. in 2004. The Tazreen factory was one of a dozen owned by his company. Workers interviewed by the AP have expressed support for Hossain, and describe him as a bearded man in his 50s who usually wears white clothes. Worker Mohammad Rajib said he is a "gentle man" who gave them raises and fired some managers after workers protested against low pay and abuse. "He did not sack any worker. He told us: `You are my people, if you survive, I will survive,'" Rajib said.

MORE

See? This would be America's future, just as it was our past, if the Republican's ever get their way and eliminate "burdensome" regulations and "government interference" in the market place.
They all want smaller government until some tragedy occurs. Then, they are the first to stand red faced screaming "there ought to be a law!"

They should sue Disney.

Republicans came up with fire exits in 1936.....

The heck you say!

The end of the century saw the introduction of the first control of means of escape in case of fire from factories under the Factory and Workshop Act 1891 which concerned premises in which more than 40 persons were employed; workshops in which more than 40 persons were employed being added by the Factory and Workshop Act 1895.

The Act also made rules concerning new public buildings which included regulations (based on the earlier 1879 theater regulations) on the width of staircases and exits, and required that every new building exceeding sixty feet in height be provided on the storeys over 60 feet above the street level "with such means of escape in the case of fire for the persons dwelling or employed therein as can be reasonably required under the circumstances of the case" and that no such storeys be occupied until the Council had issued a certificate that the provisions of this section had been complied with. It also provided a schedule of "fire-resisting materials".

History of Fire Safety

The heck you say!

The end of the century saw the introduction of the first control of means of escape in case of fire from factories under the Factory and Workshop Act 1891 which concerned premises in which more than 40 persons were employed; workshops in which more than 40 persons were employed being added by the Factory and Workshop Act 1895.

The Act also made rules concerning new public buildings which included regulations (based on the earlier 1879 theater regulations) on the width of staircases and exits, and required that every new building exceeding sixty feet in height be provided on the storeys over 60 feet above the street level "with such means of escape in the case of fire for the persons dwelling or employed therein as can be reasonably required under the circumstances of the case" and that no such storeys be occupied until the Council had issued a certificate that the provisions of this section had been complied with. It also provided a schedule of "fire-resisting materials".

History of Fire Safety

the Factory and Workshop Act 1895.

thanx for the correction.......that was started by Republicans too....

See? This would be America's future, just as it was our past, if the Republican's ever get their way and eliminate "burdensome" regulations and "government interference" in the market place.

Fire exits aren't burdensome.

This is America's future if Democrats ever get their way and dumb down our children in their failing public schools.

So now you can predict the future huh? Just how do you think this is a "burdensome" regulation? Could be you're just spouting crap, like normal.

They all want smaller government until some tragedy occurs. Then, they are the first to stand red faced screaming "there ought to be a law!"

Apparently there WAS a law. It wasn't followed. Your strawman is what it is.

The heck you say!

History of Fire Safety

the Factory and Workshop Act 1895.

thanx for the correction.......that was started by Republicans too....

Are you SUUUURE about that?

Fire exits aren't burdensome.

This is America's future if Democrats ever get their way and dumb down our children in their failing public schools.

"Burdensome" is a rather subjective term, wouldn't you say? Burdensome to one would be a critical necessity to another. Who gets to decide? You? Me?

Laws aren't followed without supervision, are they? For instance, if the speed limit is 55, will most people actually drive 55 without a cop present? Will you? I won't.

The point is that laws themselves can do nothing to alter people's behavior, here or in some other place. It takes enforcement and THAT requires some level of government having the power and the resources to compel compliance.

And, to the right, that equates to "government interference" in the market place. Right? Why or why not?

Laws aren't followed without supervision, are they? For instance, if the speed limit is 55, will most people actually drive 55 without a cop present? Will you? I won't.

The point is that laws themselves can do nothing to alter people's behavior, here or in some other place. It takes enforcement and THAT requires some level of government having the power and the resources to compel compliance.

And, to the right, that equates to "government interference" in the market place. Right? Why or why not?

A law is government regulation idiot.

A law is government regulation idiot.

Yes, but what good is that law without enforcement?

Forum List

Back