I am so f***ing sick of this garbage

theim

May 11, 2004
Madison, WI
America taking a cue from Isreal:

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-1134350.php

article said:
ABU GHRAIB, Iraq — The U.S. military freed 500 Iraqi detainees from Abu Ghraib prison on Monday, a goodwill gesture requested by the Iraqi government ahead of the Muslim holy month of Ramadan.
Another 500 will be released later this week, the military said.

The first batch was loaded onto Iraqi public buses and driven out of the notorious prison in the morning.

The U.S. government said it only releases detainees who are not guilty of serious, violent crimes — such as bombing, torture, kidnapping, or murder — and who have had admitted their crimes, renounced violence, and “pledged to be good citizens of a democratic Iraq

Oh well THAT just eases my fears. I mean, Muslims NEVER just...you know, LIE.

How about we just sign a Memoranda of Understanding or two with the terrorists? That would make it aaaaaaaaalllllllllll better.

Maybe they are releasing people who have been arrested for helping insurgents or people who were detained for questioning or people who were arrested for looting or something like that. I really hope they aren't releasing any actual terrorists, but you never know with these people.

WTF? Ok, why in the fucking world do we need to show a good will gesture? If these assholes are in jail, they must be in there for a reason, so wtf are we doing just letting them out?

This really pisses me off..... :death:

USMCDevilDog said:
WTF? Ok, why in the fucking world do we need to show a good will gesture? If these assholes are in jail, they must be in there for a reason, so wtf are we doing just letting them out?

This really pisses me off..... :death:

You're convinced every person who is incarcerated is guilty? I'd be willing to bet there are prisoners who are guilty of nothing more than association, or perhaps location. I'm not saying they're the majority, but still...

theim said:
America taking a cue from Isreal:

http://www.armytimes.com/story.php?f=1-292925-1134350.php

Oh well THAT just eases my fears. I mean, Muslims NEVER just...you know, LIE.

How about we just sign a Memoranda of Understanding or two with the terrorists? That would make it aaaaaaaaalllllllllll better.

I have to question THIS. If they qualify to be freed, then what the Hell were they doing there to begin with?

I wonder how many we'll see back on the battlefield, as seems an all too often occurence.

That being said, SCREW appeasing any of those ass-backwards dipsticks.

The ClayTaurus said:
You're convinced every person who is incarcerated is guilty? I'd be willing to bet there are prisoners who are guilty of nothing more than association, or perhaps location. I'm not saying they're the majority, but still...

Yeah ... better we wait until they get caught on tape with four eyewitnesses murdering someone before we arrest them. :rolleyes:

Yeah ... better we wait until they get caught on tape with four eyewitnesses murdering someone before we arrest them.

Isn't that what civil rights are all about? I thought that was one of the things America was supposed to stand for. Rather, as an American, that's one of the things I stand for. :dance:

Hagbard Celine said:
Isn't that what civil rights are all about? I thought that was one of the things America was supposed to stand for. Rather, as an American, that's one of the things I stand for. :dance:
Not in a state of war. What is so hard about this for you to understand? I can see you saying, "America sucks, bring it on..." but I have a problem with your trying to act like you are 'an arbitor'.

Am I not allowed to insert my opinions into the debate Kathianne? I thought that's what message boards were for. I guess I misjudged.

I guess message boards are actually here so that one side can preach to its own choir and those [like me] with opposing opinions can kow tow to what is said in them.

Not in a state of war.

So civil rights are suspended in a time of war? I guess I hallucinated the Geneva Convention.

Get [a point of view that allows for others to express themselves].

Hagbard Celine said:

Sorry, need an amendment to the rules. If Assad has bomb-making components in his hut, I'm not waiting for him to use them. He can surrender or get shot. His choice.

Well, I have nothing to bend. On the other hand, I did say this,
kathianne said:
I can see you saying, "America sucks, bring it on..." but I have a problem with your trying to act like you are 'an arbitor'.
09-27-2005 10:49 PM
, you decided to ignore that.

Hagbard Celine said:
Am I not allowed to insert my opinions into the debate Kathianne? I thought that's what message boards were for. I guess I misjudged.

I guess message boards are actually here so that one side can preach to its own choir and those [like me] with opposing opinions can kow tow to what is said in them.

So civil rights are suspended in a time of war? I guess I hallucinated the Geneva Convention.

Get bent.

You certainly halucinated the fact that anybody except us ever followed them in the first place. And "get bent"? Any other fifth-grade lashings you wanna dish out?

Hagbard Celine said:

Get bent.

You obviously hallucinated your version of the Geneva Convention if you think it has anything to do with US Civil Rights. It has to do with basic human rights, and treatement of POWs and noncombatants as human beings.

Military personnel, during a time of war, can take anyone deemded suspicious or hostile into custody indefinitely.

GunnyL said:
Yeah ... better we wait until they get caught on tape with four eyewitnesses murdering someone before we arrest them. :rolleyes:

No no, I'm not suggesting we be any less cautious in apprehending... but if they've been imprisoned for awhile and no one can find anything on them...

On the other hand, if someone gets released for merely having bomb-making components in their house/hut/cardboard box... THAT is rediculous.

To expect peace-time civil rights during war is a bit naive, in my opinion.

Hagbard Celine said:

Get bent.

A break down/explaination, akin to "The Geneva Convention for Dummies" (no offense of course) http://www.genevaconventions.org/

UNHC for Human Rights (not civil rights): Relative to the Treatment of POW's - the actual convention: http://www.genevaconventions.org/

Know it, get bent by it.

humane treatment of prisoners of war

Prisoners of war must be humanely treated at all times. Any unlawful act which causes death or seriously endangers the health of a prisoner of war is a grave breach of the Geneva Conventions. In particular, prisoners must not be subject to physical mutilation>, biological experiments, violence, intimidation, insults, and public curiosity. (Convention III, Art. 13)

Prisoners of war must be interred on land, and only in clean and healthy areas. (Convention III, Art. 22)

Prisoners of war are entitled to the same treatment given to a country’s own forces, including total surface and cubic space of dormitories, fire protection, adequate heating and lighting, and separate dormitories for women. (Convention III, Art. 25)

Prisoners of war must receive enough food to maintain weight and to prevent nutritional deficiencies, with account of the habitual diet of the prisoners. Food must not be used for disciplinary purposes. (Convention III, Art. 26)

Prisoners of war must receive adequate clothing, underwear and footwear. The clothing must be kept in good repair and prisoners who work must receive clothing appropriate to their tasks. (Convention III, Art. 27)

Also see clothing for prisoners of war.

Prisoners of war must have adequate sanitary facilities, with separate facilities for women prisoners. (Convention III, Art. 29)

Prisoners of war must receive adequate medical attention. (Convention III, Art. 30)

See medical care for prisoners of war.

Prisoners of war must receive due process and fair trials. (Convention III, Art. 82 through Art. 88)

Collective punishment for individual acts, corporal punishment, imprisonment without daylight, and all forms of torture and cruelty are forbidden. (Convention III, Art. 87)

Quote: GunnyL said,
"Yeah ... better we wait until they get caught on tape with four eyewitnesses murdering someone before we arrest them."

Isn't that what civil rights are all about? I thought that was one of the things America was supposed to stand for. Rather, as an American, that's one of the things I stand for.

I do not take back what I said. The Geneva Convention affords POWs due process of law and the same human rights our own soldiers get pure and simple.

Exactly. The solution here is to stop taking prisoners.

There might be specific people we are looking for to take prisoner to acquire intelligence from, but otherwise...

To expect adrenalin-driven soldiers trained to kill (not trained to police) in life or death situations to judge each and every potential combatant's worth as a prisoner is a little naive in my opinion. I think it's better to take prisoners and let the judiciary sort them out. GunnyL said it himself:

Military personnel, during a time of war, can take anyone deemded suspicious or hostile into custody indefinitely.

Hagbard Celine said:
I do not take back what I said. The Geneva Convention affords POWs due process of law and the same human rights our own soldiers get pure and simple.

To expect adrenalin-driven soldiers trained to kill (not trained to police) in life or death situations to judge each and every potential combatant's worth as a prisoner is a little naive in my opinion. I think it's better to take prisoners and let the judiciary sort them out.

What juduciary ?

Forum List

Back