I am now a 2nd class citizen

no one banned salt. they just said others couldn't put it in for you in massive, heart-stopping quantities.

as for big gulps... if you need a gallon of soda, buy two cups. no one prevents that.

The question becomes if you can "just buy two" why make the law in the first place? It is the overall nannyism of our current batch of politicans in general that makes me uncomfortable. Governments should worry about "big issues" like the economy and infrastructure, not if some fatty wants a 64 oz big gulp.

because it actually cut the amount of garbage people are drinking. and if your goal is to cut obesity and increase health awareness, you know -- make people actually think before shoving something into their face -- then it makes sense. it isn't restrictive. but it makes you take responsibilty for that second 15 ounces.

and before you go further. i don't like bloomberg... the things he focuses on border on absurd.

I just think it has to stop somewhere. I would not be against a government funded PR campaign to try to get people off the sugar-juice, but I am against nibbling laws like this. Convince people to live how you want them to live via persuasion, not via legislative (or executive order) force.

Add this to our slide towards government controlled health care, and you could start seeing more laws like this, dressed in "we need to save money, and besides its good for you!" excuse.

Every morning on the way to work I buy the largest unsweetened iced tea I can. I drink on that all day. It keeps me more productive not having to take constant breaks to get another drink. In N.Y I couldn't do that.

Its retarded and not the business of the govt what or how much I consume of a LEGAL beverage.

As a citizen you can

1. Use your first amendment rights to voice your concerns about your gun rights
2. Openly protest
3. Contact your state assemblyman
4. Run for political office
5. Contribute to organizations that fight the bill

How has your citizenship been affected?

As a citizen you can

2. Openly protest

Because there are people now in NY that can exercise thier 2nd amendment rights in a way I cannot. They have the same clean background I do, with the only difference being

1) They owned it before the bill was passed
2) They are an employee of the state government

The question becomes if you can "just buy two" why make the law in the first place? It is the overall nannyism of our current batch of politicans in general that makes me uncomfortable. Governments should worry about "big issues" like the economy and infrastructure, not if some fatty wants a 64 oz big gulp.

because it actually cut the amount of garbage people are drinking. and if your goal is to cut obesity and increase health awareness, you know -- make people actually think before shoving something into their face -- then it makes sense. it isn't restrictive. but it makes you take responsibilty for that second 15 ounces.

and before you go further. i don't like bloomberg... the things he focuses on border on absurd.

I just think it has to stop somewhere. I would not be against a government funded PR campaign to try to get people off the sugar-juice, but I am against nibbling laws like this. Convince people to live how you want them to live via persuasion, not via legislative (or executive order) force.

Add this to our slide towards government controlled health care, and you could start seeing more laws like this, dressed in "we need to save money, and besides its good for you!" excuse.

well, bloomberg certainly epitomizes the overly-invasive, i-know-better-than-you type. and i am looking forward to his term in office ending. (although we'll see who takes his place). i think there's a difference between the "you can't put more than x amount of salt in prepared foods if you're a restaurant" (which i'm ok with because we can't control what we don't know about); and while i'm opposed to the 30 oz cups on principle, i can understand why you'd take the position you do. my big quarrel with the opponents is that the ads run against downsizing the cups are always run by the soda industry.

As a citizen you can

2. Openly protest

Because there are people now in NY that can exercise thier 2nd amendment rights in a way I cannot. They have the same clean background I do, with the only difference being

You are allowed to become a police officer like any other citizen. Until that time, they are permitted access to certain weapons that you are not

New York may pass whatever laws their people demand, so long as they don't violate either the state or federal Constitutions. It's called...state's rights.

You do believe in state's rights, don't you? Or...does that only apply when laws affect someone else?

As a citizen you can

2. Openly protest

there is always a different status between certain people when something is grandfathered in... whether its ownership of something or land use or building materials used, etc.

New York's new gun law has effectively made me a 2nd class citizen. I now cannot posses a semi automatic rifle that others can own. I cannot own a semi automatic pistol others can own. Furthermore, Police officers when not on duty can now carry clips with more than 7 rounds, which I cannot. Politicans can be protected 24/7 by people who dont have to follow those rules, yet I have to wait for police response if something happens.

We have created the situation where all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

I assume thier next target will be my right to a jury trial, and my protection from search without a warrant.

I am planning on joining the NRA, and I hope they challenge this law in court. I also plan on purchasing whatever stunted firearm I am allowed by my "betters"

You can move.
I canot see why anyone would want to live in NY anyway ;)
Move to Montana and start a dental floss ranch.

New York's new gun law has effectively made me a 2nd class citizen. I now cannot posses a semi automatic rifle that others can own. I cannot own a semi automatic pistol others can own. Furthermore, Police officers when not on duty can now carry clips with more than 7 rounds, which I cannot. Politicans can be protected 24/7 by people who dont have to follow those rules, yet I have to wait for police response if something happens.

We have created the situation where all animals are equal, but some are more equal than others.

I assume thier next target will be my right to a jury trial, and my protection from search without a warrant.

I am planning on joining the NRA, and I hope they challenge this law in court. I also plan on purchasing whatever stunted firearm I am allowed by my "betters"

If the right to a jury trial or the requirement of a search warrent enables crazy people kill innocent civilians might might have somethng to be concerned about.

If the right to a jury trial or the requirement of a search warrent enables crazy people kill innocent civilians might might have somethng to be concerned about.

yeah I was wondering what the jury trial thing had to do with "gun" control.

there are exceptions to the warrant requirement.

and there are cases in which there is no entitlement to a jury, but that would be determined by statute.

Good for you that you are smart enough to realize that you are a second class citizen, the sooner everyone else can figure this out the better off the rest of them will be.
Nobody is forcing you to stay there YET.
and as zeke said:

move to somewhere else.

You should consider moving to Mexico where someone like you can have a better life wile you still have the funds to do so.

Forum List

Back