Hugulkulture is Another Great Way To Grow in Todays World.

whoisit

Gold Member
Jul 19, 2016
We built this mound about 5 years ago and it produced great after little over 3 years,so don't waste those logs and brush,they make great natural fertilizer and fantastic water conservation.

Watermellons grown in our mound, never watered it or fertilized .
Had illness in family so had to stop for awhile but it stlll works after about 6 years now.

First I dug down abour 3 ft. They threw in some logs I hauled using a hang truck ,then put brush on top of logs, sand brush and covered with sand. mine is only about 15' long and 3 ' W. since I did it by hand most people use heavy equipment plus I was in my 60s.

1625073532366.png

1625073260252.png

Attachments

• 1625073124111.png
    1625073124111.png
    151.7 KB · Views: 87
We had to cut vines and small trees away to get sun on mound.
It is hard work to begin with but last for years. its also a 3 yr waiting period.

1625073772708.png

All finished and ready to plant in 3 years.

1625073922422.png

Attachments

• 1625073706457.png
    1625073706457.png
    224.4 KB · Views: 83
We built this mound about 5 years ago and it produced great after little over 3 years,so don't waste those logs and brush,they make great natural fertilizer and fantastic water conservation.

Watermellons grown in our mound, never watered it or fertilized .
Had illness in family so had to stop for awhile but it stlll works after about 6 years now.

First I dug down abour 3 ft. They threw in some logs I hauled using a hang truck ,then put brush on top of logs, sand brush and covered with sand. mine is only about 15' long and 3 ' W. since I did it by hand most people use heavy equipment plus I was in my 60s.

View attachment 507337

View attachment 507336
hugle like many other alternative methods have their place,,

this one works great when you have less water later in the yr and plant something like melons or berries that need a lot of water later in their developement,,

but are not needed and a waste of time if you have a lot of water later in the season,,

back to eden is another one that works well to transform a clay heavy soil into a useable soil, but are a waste of time if you have good soil,,

I raked up some leaves to add to it too,I just rake them on plastic and pull them like I did here.

1625074188702.png

I have so many trees you don't have to move any leaves, I did get a load of mulch from the guys trimming the power lines,,,about three years later it rained so hard it ended up down in the holler over by the wet weather crick. I used to have hogs to root in the mass but they died long ago.

I have so many trees you don't have to move any leaves, I did get a load of mulch from the guys trimming the power lines,,,about three years later it rained so hard it ended up down in the holler over by the wet weather crick. I used to have hogs to root in the mass but they died long ago.

Sorry about the hogs, maybe cover it whe nrains come ,don't know really.

Around here in the hills of the Ozarks rain comes down in toad strangling amounts.

Around here in the hills of the Ozarks rain comes down in toad strangling amounts.

Oh then bad idea ,huh?

But on the bright side, the world needs bacon too.

We had to cut vines and small trees away to get sun on mound.
It is hard work to begin with but last for years. its also a 3 yr waiting period.

View attachment 507343

All finished and ready to plant in 3 years.

View attachment 507345
Just before Halloween, put a couple of horn tips sticking out of the pile, advertise that there's an ancient giant buried there and charge like 5 bucks admission to enter the labyrinth leading to the Minotaur's grave.

I've toyed with the idea but have never really had a lot of faith in it considering how much dirt it would take to bury a log or pile of wood. I once made the mistake of lining my rows with a couple inches of mulch before dropping potatoes into the ditches to approximate how well this might work. When I went to harvest that was the one and only year I ever had a piss ant infestation in my potatoes. Pretty much gave up on it after that.

I've toyed with the idea but have never really had a lot of faith in it considering how much dirt it would take to bury a log or pile of wood. I once made the mistake of lining my rows with a couple inches of mulch before dropping potatoes into the ditches to approximate how well this might work. When I went to harvest that was the one and only year I ever had a piss ant infestation in my potatoes. Pretty much gave up on it after that.

It tool us a couple 100 wheelbarrow's to fill ours in but we had some help from our daughter. Also ours is fairly long.
We had to haul the dirt from the field so it wasn't easy.

loaded and brought one shovel load at a time, although a tractor sure would make it easier.I used a hand truck to load the large logs we had from cutting down some trees.

1646418036736.png

A short film on building the mound,

Our's is nearly done. Have the basic mound which is about 5 foot wide, @20 feet long and about 2 1/2 feet tall. Mostly done of course of two weekends and rented a "bobcat" to clear away some weeds and over growth, dig trench, then filled, using the dirt from the clearing.

Now in process of doing layer ('lasagna') gardening over it. Put down a couple layers of corrugated cardboard, then cover with a biosolid that's compost of sorts but more like a topsoil. Will be planting into it soon.

Our's is nearly done. Have the basic mound which is about 5 foot wide, @20 feet long and about 2 1/2 feet tall. Mostly done of course of two weekends and rented a "bobcat" to clear away some weeds and over growth, dig trench, then filled, using the dirt from the clearing.

Now in process of doing layer ('lasagna') gardening over it. Put down a couple layers of corrugated cardboard, then cover with a biosolid that's compost of sorts but more like a topsoil. Will be planting into it soon.

Sounds like you've been busy,I think you'll like it. Good luck.

Forum List

Back