Hubble Sights Strange Space Ship Shaped Object

It appears to be a collision of two bolides, but more data is needed.

Robert

Or the in process fracturing of a single body, one that had accreted into a single object sometime in the far past, into two halves. I have read a theory of bodies in the Kuiper Belt (or possibly the Oort cloud) being fused together on colliding. As a larger body, having doubled in size, they very gradually, over great periods of time (amply available out there) attract smaller particles which fill in the void, and become glued together to form a single object. Pluto and Charon are two of the three largest KBOs, and like the inner asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter,there is no lower limit to their size.

Here's an article about an astronomer studying KBO (Kuiper Belt Objects) Kuiper belt objects were produced not from gradual accretion, but partly from impacts. He says, in part:

"some large Kuiper belt objects could have been built from a small number of really big collisions among increasingly ice-depleted bodies, while others might have been formed from smaller, less powerful collisions that allowed more ice to remain. "You can have different combinations," he said. "

His interest is in how the largest ones formed, but the same rules might apply to the smaller ones. If KBO collide, then some may be moving away from the sun, while others fall towards the sun.

Do we know how large this body (that appears to be falling into the the solar wind) happens to be? The long fall from K.B. would allow it to build up speed so that the speed imparted from the actual impact would not need to be very great initially.

Kuiper Belt may be born of collisions : Nature News

Last edited:
If there is life who can visit us then they are not likely to attack.

They would have the technology to off us in a second if they have mastered space travel.

There is other life than on our planet.

The odds are ridicules to consider there is no other life.
Why does everyone assume that alien life would be smarter than us? Maybe aliens are still in the Caveman stage of evolution (If there is such a thing on their planet).

I think some people just want to replace God with Space Aliens.

Good question. I think no one ponders what is going on some planet somewhere and how they are doing in, say, making baskets, or killing mastodons with a better club. I think its because we are always thinking forward, so we see us, then look out and ponder what if there is life out there and are they more advanced than us, rather than the other way around. Since it is only those more advanced, and have past the age of conquest, and now embrace "discovery" rather than warring and pillage who would be able to to be "out there. Too, they would then have surpassed the light speed barrier and are now free to roam beyond their own solar place.

That is my take on it, at best.

Robert

Robert

Or the in process fracturing of a single body, one that had accreted into a single object sometime in the far past, into two halves. I have read a theory of bodies in the Kuiper Belt (or possibly the Oort cloud) being fused together on colliding. As a larger body, having doubled in size, they very gradually, over great periods of time (amply available out there) attract smaller particles which fill in the void, and become glued together to form a single object. Pluto and Charon are two of the three largest KBOs, and like the inner asteroid belt between Mars and Jupiter,there is no lower limit to their size.

Here's an article about an astronomer studying KBO (Kuiper Belt Objects) Kuiper belt objects were produced not from gradual accretion, but partly from impacts. He says, in part:

"some large Kuiper belt objects could have been built from a small number of really big collisions among increasingly ice-depleted bodies, while others might have been formed from smaller, less powerful collisions that allowed more ice to remain. "You can have different combinations," he said. "

His interest is in how the largest ones formed, but the same rules might apply to the smaller ones. If KBO collide, then some may be moving away from the sun, while others fall towards the sun.

Do we know how large this body (that appears to be falling into the the solar wind) happens to be? The long fall from K.B. would allow it to build up speed so that the speed imparted from the actual impact would not need to be very great initially.

Great post. Out at the Kuiper Belt and the Oort Cloud, these systems of Trans Neptune Objects (TNO) as they are called, are there, but the questions is, at nearly 1.5 LY distant from the sun, how do they stay in orbital position, save for a few that break away due to collision as you pointed out, and remain.

The latest postulate is there is a dark Jupiter x 6 size object out at about 2 LY, half way too our nearest star, Alpha Proxima, that is orbiting around the sun, and is the outer reach of the solar influence. And this object, unproven as yet, is influencing all TNs. If so, this explains the extreme elliptical orbits of all comets, or exo sub-Pluto sized planetiods like Sedna and the like.

Robert

Robert

Great post. Out at the Kuiper Belt and the Oort Cloud, these systems of Trans Neptune Objects (TNO) as they are called, are there, but the questions is, at nearly 1.5 LY distant from the sun, how do they stay in orbital position, save for a few that break away due to collision as you pointed out, and remain.

The latest postulate is there is a dark Jupiter x 6 size object out at about 2 LY, half way too our nearest star, Alpha Proxima, that is orbiting around the sun, and is the outer reach of the solar influence. And this object, unproven as yet, is influencing all TNs. If so, this explains the extreme elliptical orbits of all comets, or exo sub-Pluto sized planetiods like Sedna and the like.

Robert

The speed of the Pluto/Charon binary system is about 4.666 KM/s, so that is an indication of the speed of KBOs at that distance. Do all comets approach the sun from a c/clockwise direction as viewed from a N. orientation? Further out KBOs would move a little slower, but that speed should impart a c/c direction to objects falling toward the sun. If there are unexpected anamolies to their paths, you'd think that we could make some judgements about where to look for a dark Super-Jupiter sized planet and watch for the occultation of stars in a given background area.

Halley's Comet is a notable exception to an anti-clockwise direction, and the only one as far as I know of or have been able to find.

The greatest mystery stories I've had the pleasure to read over the years have been those of astonomers-as-detectives.

Last edited:
The speed of the Pluto/Charon binary system is about 4.666 KM/s, so that is an indication of the speed of KBOs at that distance. Do all comets approach the sun from a c/clockwise direction as viewed from a N. orientation? Further out KBOs would move a little slower, but that speed should impart a c/c direction to objects falling toward the sun. If there are unexpected anamolies to their paths, you'd think that we could make some judgements about where to look for a dark Super-Jupiter sized planet and watch for the occultation of stars in a given background area.

Halley's Comet is a notable exception to an anti-clockwise direction, and the only one as far as I know of or have been able to find.

The greatest mystery stories I've had the pleasure to read over the years have been those of astonomers-as-detectives.

Detectives, yes. Agreed. Corrections: Pluto is a sub planet but charon is its dominate moon, orbiting around Pluto, so, not a binary. However, it also has two other moons for a total of 3. Nix, and Hydra. Both about 30, 40 miles in dia.

New Moons of Pluto - NASA Science

For the rest of the data above, the CC rotation is an anomaly of our solar systems orbital dynamic. there would be no occultation is "stars" pertaining to the dark mass out at 1.5 LY which is influencing comet formation, but it would have an effect that will be more and more noticeable to the inner Oort Cloud and The Kuiper Belt Objects.

Good post.

Robert

Last edited:

Detectives, yes. Agreed. Corrections: Pluto is a sub planet but charon is its dominate moon, orbiting around Pluto, so, not a binary. However, it also has two other moons for a total of 3. Nix, and Hydra. Both about 30, 40 miles in dia.

For the rest of the data above, the CC rotation is an anomaly of our solar systems orbital dynamic. there would be no occultation is "stars" pertaining to the dark mass out at 1.5 LY which is influencing comet formation, but it would have an effect that will be more and more noticeable to the inner Oort Cloud and The Kuiper Belt Objects.

Good post.

Robert
i thought the last report on Pluto/Charon was that they were both about the same size

PlutoNamesFig.jpg

If there is life who can visit us then they are not likely to attack.

They would have the technology to off us in a second if they have mastered space travel.

There is other life than on our planet.

The odds are ridicules to consider there is no other life.
Why does everyone assume that alien life would be smarter than us? Maybe aliens are still in the Caveman stage of evolution (If there is such a thing on their planet).

I think some people just want to replace God with Space Aliens.
Any aliens that are traveling light years to reach earth are certainly smarter than us.

Illegal aliens from Mexico are smarter than us too. They migrate to where the big money is, and then send it back to where the big money isn't, and eventually live like kings back there.

Good post.

Robert

As viewed from above, which would be a North polar perspective all planets circle the sun in a counter clockwise direction, with the exception of Halley which then is an anomaly to that CC rotation; I.E. Halley orbits in a clockwise direction, so I'm not clear with the statement "the CC rotation is an anomaly of solar systems orbital dynamic."

My take on Pluto/Charon is that neither is a planet, both are KBOs and they revolve around a mass somewhere between the two and does not lie within either body, and they share an atmosphere, that is molecules may be drawn off Pluto and turn to solids on the surface of Charon. Also they are more nearly the same size than Earth and moon. This arrangement, fits the standard description of a double system (system since planet does not apply but "minor planet does), and another word for a double system in astronomy is binary system. But I realize it will be up to the IAU to make that subtle distinction.

Last edited:
You know......considering how big the Universe is, as well as combined with the fact that there is a 100 percent chance that there are several Earth like planets, it would be a HUGE waste of space if we were alone.

But.......if the aliens do attack, all we've gotta do is call Dr. Who.

Or call....

Will_Smith_MIB.jpg

Will+Smith+Independence+Day+2.jpg

As viewed from above, which would be a North polar perspective all planets circle the sun in a counter clockwise direction, with the exception of Halley which then is an anomaly to that CC rotation; I.E. Halley orbits in a clockwise direction, so I'm not clear with the statement "the CC rotation is an anomaly of solar systems orbital dynamic."

My take on Pluto/Charon is that neither is a planet, both are KBOs and they revolve around a mass somewhere between the two and does not lie within either body, and they share an atmosphere, that is molecules may be drawn off Pluto and turn to solids on the surface of Charon. Also they are more nearly the same size than Earth and moon. This arrangement, fits the standard description of a double system (system since planet does not apply but "minor planet does), and another word for a double system in astronomy is binary system. But I realize it will be up to the IAU to make that subtle distinction.

Ok, Pluto is a dwarf planet. Charon orbits around it as a moon. They are not binary. Nix and Hydra the same. Here is an image of same:

pluto-ch.jpg

Here is the full data on this and it covers it all. See if this is more helpful here:

Pluto and Charon

Thanks,

Robert

Last edited:

Ok, Pluto is a dwarf planet. Charon orbits around it as a moon. They are not binary. Nix and Hydra the same. Here is an image of same:

pluto-ch.jpg

Here is the full data on this and it covers it all. See if this is more helpful here:

Pluto and Charon

Thanks,

Robert
thanks, that link was interesting

Hi Dive,

Diving: I still use the Techna 2100B 2nd stage, at only 5.5 ounces. It is a killer 2nd stage and love it. Retro I know, but a great breather. I use the Techna octopus as well.

What do you use?

(off topic I know, but had to ask)

Robert

Hi Dive,

Diving: I still use the Techna 2100B 2nd stage, at only 5.5 ounces. It is a killer 2nd stage and love it. Retro I know, but a great breather. I use the Techna octopus as well.

What do you use?

Robert
all my breathing gear is US Divers and OLD
i even have an old conshelf 21
;)

Hi Dive,

What do you use?

Robert
all my breathing gear is US Divers and OLD
i even have an old conshelf 21
;)

A Conshelf? Whoa!!!!! You are as retro as me. How old are you if I may ask. I am 58.

Robert

Forum List

Back