HRCP report on human rights situation in Pakistan launched

Stephanie

Diamond Member
Jul 11, 2004
Yea, and were suppose to defend this, because why? Where are all those peaceful muslims to protest this shit??? Why are they out prostesting over a cartoon, instead of something like this? Yea, we all know why. Women and children over in the ME mean nothing, their worshipped less than a camel, as far as I'm concerned. Man I am angry after reading about all this crap over the cartoons and than you see something like this. I am spewing cuss words, sorry to everyone in advance.

SLAMABAD: Lack of respect for basic democratic rights; increased ruthlessness in crushing dissent; a disturbing determination to keep governance secret and the emergence of dangerous new trends, such as the ‘disappearances’ of more and more people across the country marked the human rights environment during the first eight months of 2005 and the last two of 2004, says a Human Rights Commission Pakistan (HRCP) report.

A HRCP report “State of Human Rights in 2005” launched here on Saturday said that there was no change in official statistics showed an average of 1000 women died each year in ‘honour’ killings. As many as 366 women in the country suffered gang-rape or rape between November 2004 to August 2005. Far fewer women were registered as voters than men, while many in the Northern Areas continued to be denied their right to balloting by traditional elements.

It said that many laws intended to protect children went largely unimplemented. Growing awareness about the rights of children and the introduction of some protection measures by government pointed towards a slight improvement in the situation. About 10 million children were estimated to form a part of the labour force, while at least 70,000 remained on streets across the country.

It said that during the first six months of 2005, 71 children were murdered after sexual abuse. At least nine small girls fell victim to serial rapist in Gujranwala. The physical abuse of children remained widespread, while due to the conditions in which they lived, many children across the country suffered malnutrition, illness and death.

It quoting official figures that showed an increase in unemployment levels in rural Sindh. The controversial Industrial relations Ordinance (IRO) 2002 remained in force, restricting the right of workers to create unions. More cases were reported of the abuse of domestic workers. Over 1.7 million Haris remained in bondage across Sindh. Bonded labour increased in other sectors. There was an increase in reported cases of bonded labourers selling organs in a desperate bid to pay off debts.

It said that spending on education remained well below UNESCO recommendations. Only 39 percent of women in the country were literate, according to official figures. 50 percent of school-age children in Sindh were reported to be outside classrooms. The government failed to register madrassahs in the country. Concern over falling standards of higher education and examinations continued to be expressed at all levels.
http://www.onlinenews.com.pk/details.php?id=92900

Hobbit said:
Yeah, but we have to respect their culture.

:lame2:

Oh, and :gs:

Are you trying to bring me down some more! :funnyface
It's go Seahawks.... :thewave:
Thanks I needed that, I've got to start reading some positive, funny things for the rest of the night, or else I will make myself :cuckoo: :cheers2:

Forum List

Back