CDZ How to handle the hurricane helpless

Toronado3800

Gold Member
Nov 15, 2009
I just don't understand. Here in Missouri we build levees which make other levees obsolete then look shocked when new neighborhoods are flooded by some rain.

In the south they have hurricanes. Seems entirely predictable. There will be two or three storms of the century next year like this year. I even heard some simls saying the Texas storm was a 1,000 year event. Whatever.

So what should we do to help them? Texas apparently has no building codes regarding what can be put where. Do we hold back aid to force codes and planning on them so we don't need go give aid next time?

Buying out 100% of the victims (who don't know geography or had faith in the zoning commissions) is not an option though....

How about we buy out the worst flooded 20% then tell Texas if you rebuild anything there we're giving it back to Mexico.

This is sickening watching all this human suffering for entirely predictable events. Shame on you Texas.

I just don't understand. Here in Missouri we build levees which make other levees obsolete then look shocked when new neighborhoods are flooded by some rain.

In the south they have hurricanes. Seems entirely predictable. There will be two or three storms of the century next year like this year. I even heard some simls saying the Texas storm was a 1,000 year event. Whatever.

So what should we do to help them? Texas apparently has no building codes regarding what can be put where. Do we hold back aid to force codes and planning on them so we don't need go give aid next time?

Buying out 100% of the victims (who don't know geography or had faith in the zoning commissions) is not an option though....

How about we buy out the worst flooded 20% then tell Texas if you rebuild anything there we're giving it back to Mexico.

This is sickening watching all this human suffering for entirely predictable events. Shame on you Texas.
Here in SW Missouri to NE Oklahoma there is no protection against flooding rivers

Here in SW Missouri to NE Oklahoma there is no protection against flooding rivers

If you mean you all don't build levees I applaud you. Here near the confluence of the two largest rivers on the continent there are homes which will never flood because they are on the right hill. A topographical map is all you need to be flood proof.

Zoning and building codes are the ground zero and epicenter of traditional American corruption. Real estate and property development entities feed politicians a steady diet of political contributions, favors, and bribes to change zoning designations and to either limit or ignore building codes.

Low valued land zoned as agriculture use only that are on located in low lying areas and flood plains suddenly get re-zoned to residential, business, and industrial use, even though they have centuries of history of flooding. The land that was only considered usable for growing crops skyrockets in value. Everyone makes out great with enormous profits until the predictable flood comes. At that point, it becomes the taxpayer's problem.

I have said for some time that people who live in floodplains, Hurricane prone areas, "Tornado Alley", and such either do, or should, know what they are signing up for. Get insurance and have a plan for the inevitable. We all know that fire is a risk of living indoors, so, we buy insurance, and have a plan. So too should people living in areas where natural disasters are inevitable.

That said, what has (or has not) happened cannot be changed any more than the path of a hurricane can be. Therefore, help will, and should, be provided. However, to expect the nation's taxpayers to foot the bill for rebuilding these areas, just so Mother Nature can destroy them again, is insanity. So, fine, we'll help you folks rebuild, but not there. Find somewhere else to live. Sure it's a vital port, especially for oil, so let's rebuild that portion necessary for the purpose, and put in place systems to mitigate the impact, if not negate altogether, of the next storm.

Maybe I seem harsh, and I probably am. However, building a major city at or below sea level (New Orleans) is down right stupid. Necessary sometimes, but stupid nonetheless. So, why don't we change the way we do things, instead of waiting for a storm to kill a bunch of people so we can rebuild and start the cycle all over again.

Here's an idea. I have no idea if it's feasible, or even workable, but it seems as though it would be, as the opposite has been done in Alaska. Build a pipeline for the oil coming in that carries it to a safer location. Expensive? Yes, but then it's done, and the potential loss of live is thus reduced to such that it becomes a far more reasonable risk. I know, I know, Houston is far more than a port for oil vessels. This is but one idea to remedy but one problem of having such a large city on a piece of land that renders it a "sitting duck" for future hurricanes. And, yes, I would be willing to pay a little more at the pump to save those lives.

I have said for some time that people who live in floodplains, Hurricane prone areas, "Tornado Alley", and such either do, or should, know what they are signing up for. Get insurance and have a plan for the inevitable. We all know that fire is a risk of living indoors, so, we buy insurance, and have a plan. So too should people living in areas where natural disasters are inevitable.

That said, what has (or has not) happened cannot be changed any more than the path of a hurricane can be. Therefore, help will, and should, be provided. However, to expect the nation's taxpayers to foot the bill for rebuilding these areas, just so Mother Nature can destroy them again, is insanity. So, fine, we'll help you folks rebuild, but not there. Find somewhere else to live. Sure it's a vital port, especially for oil, so let's rebuild that portion necessary for the purpose, and put in place systems to mitigate the impact, if not negate altogether, of the next storm.

Maybe I seem harsh, and I probably am. However, building a major city at or below sea level (New Orleans) is down right stupid. Necessary sometimes, but stupid nonetheless. So, why don't we change the way we do things, instead of waiting for a storm to kill a bunch of people so we can rebuild and start the cycle all over again.

Here's an idea. I have no idea if it's feasible, or even workable, but it seems as though it would be, as the opposite has been done in Alaska. Build a pipeline for the oil coming in that carries it to a safer location. Expensive? Yes, but then it's done, and the potential loss of live is thus reduced to such that it becomes a far more reasonable risk. I know, I know, Houston is far more than a port for oil vessels. This is but one idea to remedy but one problem of having such a large city on a piece of land that renders it a "sitting duck" for future hurricanes. And, yes, I would be willing to pay a little more at the pump to save those lives.
There is too much greed for a pragmatic approach to ever be considered.

There is too much greed for a pragmatic approach to ever be considered.
Sadly, you may be quite correct.

Texas apparently has no building codes regarding what can be put where.

Texas, on the whole, probably doesn't need them in the same way that Houston, Corpus, and other Gulf Coast cities do.

Agreed.

Already I have heard about what this will cost the country as a whole.

Perhaps Uncle Sam should "tax" the Texas welfare needing counties enough to pay for this predictable event aid?

Then if the places are really that nice to live in ppl can choose to stay and pay back the rest of the country for bailing out their bottoms. If not they will leave and hopefully pick a better place to live that does not suck money from you and I?

Ignorance ^^^^

Zoning and building codes are the ground zero and epicenter of traditional American corruption. Real estate and property development entities feed politicians a steady diet of political contributions, favors, and bribes to change zoning designations and to either limit or ignore building codes.

Low valued land zoned as agriculture use only that are on located in low lying areas and flood plains suddenly get re-zoned to residential, business, and industrial use, even though they have centuries of history of flooding. The land that was only considered usable for growing crops skyrockets in value. Everyone makes out great with enormous profits until the predictable flood comes. At that point, it becomes the taxpayer's problem.
What you say is true and it should be controlled somehow. But it's already a 'done deal' for so many areas; I don't believe we can simply refuse to help people who are living in flood zones. Preventing more of this insanity is a good idea.

Ignorance ^^^^

Perhaps we agree?

Living someplace where other people need to bail you out repeatedly IS hopefully because of ignorance.

Hopefully it is not because you know you can game the welfare system.

But it's ok for Florida.

But it's ok for Florida.

Nah lol. I'll pick on Florida in the next post.

Ignorance ^^^^

Perhaps we agree?

Living someplace where other people need to bail you out repeatedly IS hopefully because of ignorance.

Have you ever studied world history?

Ignorance ^^^^

Perhaps we agree?

Have you ever studied world history?

Maybe later when you are on a device which can type in your coherent thought not one word or 1st grade sentence riddle let me know what you are getting at.

We may agree but with the brevity of your replies I do not know.

You hear the same thing after every 'event', "oh we're going to rebuild".

Everyone living in these areas knows this will happen in the future again over and over. I agree with the above post if you live in a floodplain or other area known for yearly catastrophes you have to build your house on stilts at the least. At the most just depopulate these areas permanently. It is too costly to rebuild all these structures over and over.

Texas apparently has no building codes regarding what can be put where.

Texas, on the whole, probably doesn't need them in the same way that Houston, Corpus, and other Gulf Coast cities do.

Agreed.

Already I have heard about what this will cost the country as a whole.

Perhaps Uncle Sam should "tax" the Texas welfare needing counties enough to pay for this predictable event aid?

Then if the places are really that nice to live in ppl can choose to stay and pay back the rest of the country for bailing out their bottoms. If not they will leave and hopefully pick a better place to live that does not suck money from you and I?

I'm not proposing that extent of individualism in taxation and government spending.

For instance, it doesn't bother me that my tax dollars may, in part, go to helping Palo Alto bring its key public structures up to "magnitude 8.5 withstanding" grade; I may want to visit Palo Alto, and when I do, it'd be nice to have a high degree of confidence that the bridge I'm on isn't going to collapse in a quake that isn't the most powerful of quakes known to man. To wit, when my son decided he wasn't going to accept Stanford's offer of admission, I was thrilled, and the only reason I was had to with the earthquake risk.

Or tornadoes.

OP - there really are things that cannot be prepared for.

In both Harvey and Irma, we have seen people criticize meteorologists for not getting the mph exactly spot on but in all cases of possible catastrophe, tis wise to prepare for the worst, hope for the best, cope with the rest.

You hear the same thing after every 'event', "oh we're going to rebuild".

Everyone living in these areas knows this will happen in the future again over and over. I agree with the above post if you live in a floodplain or other area known for yearly catastrophes you have to build your house on stilts at the least. At the most just depopulate these areas permanently. It is too costly to rebuild all these structures over and over.

Especially since we now know it will get worse.

It really is past time to accept climate change is true, real and here.

Forum List

Back