How to Grow an Avocado Tree

Book of Jeremiah

Platinum Member
Nov 3, 2012
Very simple. Save your Avocado seed and peel the skin off of it. It will be light cream color. Take 3 toothpicks and put each at an angle around the top of the seed where it is shaped like this. Fill a jar or a clear cup with water and put the seed in the water like this. Make sure bottom of seed is in the water for roots to grow:
upload_2017-7-9_19-33-18.png

Eventually the roots will grow and look like this:
upload_2017-7-9_19-34-47.png

As the roots continue to grow it begin to look like this:
upload_2017-7-9_19-26-55.png

The seed will eventually split in two but before it does go ahead and plant it in a gallon planter with good soil and when it gets bigger? Plant it in your yard and eventually you can pick your own avocados from your yard.
upload_2017-7-9_19-37-33.png

OR you can buy a large planter and let it grow:

Attachments

• upload_2017-7-9_19-39-17.png
    upload_2017-7-9_19-39-17.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 364
  • upload_2017-7-9_19-41-27.png
    upload_2017-7-9_19-41-27.png
    21.8 KB · Views: 327
  • upload_2017-7-9_20-7-24.png
    upload_2017-7-9_20-7-24.png
    35.6 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
Unfortunately I don't like avocados. :puke: I've heard they're easy.

But I left some garlic out too long and it sprouted, so I stuck it in some soil. Shouldn't be a total loss. :eusa_dance:

Then I'm gonna try my celery stalks.

I love avocados and Ive heard growing them is easy but only in warmer climates.
I have lettuce, spinach,kale, tomatoes, peas, mint, rosemary, sage.
I still want blueberries...maybe next year.

I've planted blueberries here but without much success. Too much shade I'm afraid. Have wild blackberries everywhere just coming out now. Way too many.

A couple of years ago I transplanted a couple of wild raspberries into my yard and they're doing well, even spawned a third one. I have to keep the blackberries at bay to give them a chance. And there's a secret spot up the road where I can harvest wild huckleberries. :eusa_dance:

I had lettuce and spinach but it's long since bolted. Have tomatoes coming out now. And the ghost peppers are just forming. :rock:

We are growing corn, squash, zucchini, tomatoes, cucumber, potatoes, rattlesnake green beans, Northern hull peas, watermelon. I'm doing my herb garden in the kitchen window (4 shelves) and the rosemary outside.

An avocado tree is a hardy tree. It can withstand 15 - 20 degree temperatures. You can always leave it in a large pot and move it indoors in the winter if you're living in a climate that goes below 20 degrees. Not a problem. Go ahead and grow them. Just put the jars on your windowsill and you can go from there.

I have started several and then forget what they are and ripped them out of the pot thinking they were oak saplings

An avocado tree is a hardy tree. It can withstand 15 - 20 degree temperatures. You can always leave it in a large pot and move it indoors in the winter if you're living in a climate that goes below 20 degrees. Not a problem. Go ahead and grow them. Just put the jars on your windowsill and you can go from there.

Sounds easy...Im going to do this. =)

I would love an avocado tree but i cant even get my peach and pear trees to do anything :/ lol

I would love an avocado tree but i cant even get my peach and pear trees to do anything :/ lol

Peaches are hard to produce in my area without a lot of work between the weather, disease, and animals.

This sounds super gay.

But I'm not gonna say anything because I have a garden myself and fully embrace the gay

An avocado tree is probably one of the easiest trees to grow, Harley. Just put it in a big pot if you live up north and bring it in when it turns winter (below 20 degrees). We've got apple trees, one pear tree and a peach tree. I don't care about the squirrels eating the fruit off the other trees but the pear tree is off limits because I can pear preserves off of that tree. To save your trees build a barrier out of sheet metal around it. If you have crows (and you probably do - they will eat all of your fruit) shoot one and hang it in the tree. They won't go near it. Then you can pick the fruit and put it up.

Peaches are hard to produce in my area without a lot of work between the weather, disease, and animals.
Which is why I don't bother with my peach tree. It grows fine but I do not pick the fruit. I don't need it and do not really care for peaches.

Which is why I don't bother with my peach tree. It grows fine but I do not pick the fruit. I don't need it and do not really care for peaches.

A couple weeks ago I had maybe a dozen on the tree but decided to give them a few weeks. Went back this morning and not a peach in sight. Not sure if it was the deer or the people who bought the house whose property line is about ten feet from my peach tree as I am clearly going to be having boundary issues with them sooner rather than later. Just because they have the smallest lot in the neighborhood and I have the largest, they seem to think it is ok to be on my property without permission. I am not a hard to get along with person and I don't say anything about little one crossing the tree line when running about playing, but when they pile crap on my property, they are taking it too far. Anyway, I like peaches about once a year and that is it. I could eat a bushel basket of ripe/over-ripe plums though.

It sounds like you need an 8 ft. fence line on that side of your yard. We had a neighbor who was trouble years ago (they have since moved). He was terrorizing the black people who fished on the lake and so we invited them over to fish off our bank. He continued to harass them and we put up an 8 ft. privacy fence that extended the length of his property and ours straight down to the edge of the lake - where his yard ended. This cut off his view of our land which extended as far as he could see (ends where the road is out there). It was a beautiful view but his decision to continue to harass people who just wanted to fish for their dinner. Put up the privacy fence and post a do not trespass sign.

If you still find fruit missing you have a deer problem. In that case buy some 5 ft. metal t posts and use a post hole digger to put them in 6 ft. apart 2 ft. distance from around the outermost area of the tree. Then buy some rolled fencing 5 ft. high and attach it to the posts around the tree with wire. If the culprit are squirrels you'll have to use metal siding and wrap it around the posts but it will have to be 6 ft. high and you need to make sure there aren't any other trees nearby that they can jump from to your tree. In the winter you can take down the rolled fencing and leave the posts there.

I loooooove peaches. It's my favorite fruit. Other than TNHarley anyway.

I used to like them but I just grew tired of them. Peaches are native to China. They were brought here back in the 1600's and were planted along the eastern seaboard. The first peach plantation was in Virginia but Georgia was the state that became known as the peach state. Quick tip - If you want to ripen peaches just put them in a box and cover them with newspaper or you can put them in a paper bag. The gasses they release will be sealed in and the peaches will ripen in within 2 to 3 days.

Forum List

Back