How to get to heaven...

My understanding of scripture, is that a person is held accountable for the amount of knowledge he has acquired. If he grows up never having been exposed to the Gospel, how can he be held accountable? I know that some churches preach the "age of accountability." And Catholics believe in original sin, if memory serves me right.

You're really asking another question.

Why do we make the choice to choose Jesus or not? We usually choose Jesus based on reasons in the heart and then the arguments follow and not always before. Did our heart follow the amount of light that we are exposed to?

Even if they have not His gospel, the Holy Spirit comes along side people and if they follow or if they don't follow may answer the question on those who never heard the gospel.

I was sitting around in church the other day, twiddling my thumbs, listening to my parish's priest talk about good men and getting to heaven when I thought of this.

I know plenty of good, kind atheists (most of them are nicer people than the Catholics I know) and I was wondering about them getting to heaven. Pretend there was a hypothetical atheist named... Michael. Michael donated almost everything he had to the poor, keeping only just enough to survive on. Never did he have anything nice or luxurious or fancy. He had loads of friends because he was kind to everyone. But every day, he denied the existence of God. One sad day, Michael died of, I don't know, heart disease. Would he go to heaven even though he constantly proclaimed that God (and Satan) did not exist?

This is all completely hypothetical, of course.

What he believes is not a complete gospel without substitionary
atonement.

Substitutionary Atonement
According to the Scriptures, sin must be paid for.1 When Jesus Christ died, he suffered as a substitute in the place of and on behalf of fallen humanity. Christ’s death made it possible for men and women to be declared righteous, based on their faith in Him.2 Christ’s death was not merely a statement against evil or an expression of love, but a payment that satisfied God’s demand. Christ’s death was necessary for several reasons.
First, sin alienates us from God.3 Those who are controlled by sin cannot please God.4 Jesus Christ’s death made peace with God possible.5 Christ came, not just to provide us with a godly example, but to die on our behalf and to bear the cost for sin.6
Second, God is holy.7 God’s holy character requires that sin be punished.8 Sin makes us the objects of God’s wrath until the penalty of sin is paid.9 By laying down His own life, Jesus paid the price on our behalf, satisfying God’s demand.10 This payment was made, not to Satan, but God.11
Third, the presence of sin renders us helpless.12 We cannot save ourselves.13 We do not have the will or the ability to offer anything acceptable to God on our own behalf.14 We not only suffer from the guilt and penalty of Adam’s original sin, but also from the effects of our own sinful nature and actions.15
God, who is rich in mercy, sent Jesus Christ to die in our place, so that He might be righteous in dealing with sin while at the same time providing His own righteousness to those who believe in Jesus Christ.16 Christ’s death was more than an attempt to reverse the human course started by Adam; it served as a substitute payment for the trespasses of all mankind.
1- Romans 6:23; 1 Peter 1:18, 19
2- Matthew 20:28; Romans 3:21; 2 Corinthians 5:21
3- Ephesians 2:12
4- Romans 8:5-8
5- Colossians 1:20-21
6- Galatians 3:13
7- 1 John 1:5
8- Romans 3:4, 24-26
9- Romans 1:18; 6:23
10- John 10:17, 18; 2 Peter 2:1
11- Matthew 20:28
12- Romans 3:10-12
13- Romans 3:20, 28
14- John 1:13; Ephesians 2:1-5
15- Romans 5:12-15; 6:6; Romans 3:23
16- Romans 3:23-26
Moody Bible Institute | Moody Believes | Substitutionary Atonement

We can only pay the price of sin on our own by being punished and placed in hell for all eternity. But God’s Son, Jesus Christ, came to earth to pay for the price of our sins. Because He did this for us, we now have the opportunity to not only have our sins forgiven, but to spend eternity with Him. In order to do this we must place our faith in what Christ did on the cross. We cannot save ourselves; we need a substitute to take our place. The death of Jesus Christ is the substitutionary atonement.

Read more: What is the substitutionary atonement?

Jesus did what we could not. He took our place and bore our sins in his body on the cross (1 Pet. 2:24) and made propitiation for our sins.
  • Rom. 3:25, "whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed."
  • 1 John 2:2, "and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world."
  • 1 John 4:10, "In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins."
The word propitiation "properly signifies the removal of wrath by the offering of a gift."1 Propitiation properly deals with the wrath of God. The wrath of God is due to the legal requirements of punishing the sinner. Remember, the sinner is someone who has broken the law of God; hence, the legality of punishment, and since Jesus is our propitiation and turns away the lawful wrath of God, we have further evidence that Christ's sacrifice was to avert God's righteous wrath against us, the sinners. Since the law of God must be met and cannot be ignored, it is proper that the law be fulfilled. Jesus is the one who fulfilled the law and never sinned (1 Pet. 2:22). But, he bore our sins in his body on the cross (1 Pet. 2:24) and became sin on our behalf (2 Cor. 5:21) thereby suffering the penalty of sin, which is death.

Substitutionary Atonement of Jesus Christ | Views on the Atonement | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

Acts 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Wouldn't Acts 16:31 be an incorrect statement if we had to merit salvation, keep salvation, become holy enough? No. It is what Christ has done which saves us.

Last edited:
I was sitting around in church the other day, twiddling my thumbs, listening to my parish's priest talk about good men and getting to heaven when I thought of this.

I know plenty of good, kind atheists (most of them are nicer people than the Catholics I know) and I was wondering about them getting to heaven. Pretend there was a hypothetical atheist named... Michael. Michael donated almost everything he had to the poor, keeping only just enough to survive on. Never did he have anything nice or luxurious or fancy. He had loads of friends because he was kind to everyone. But every day, he denied the existence of God. One sad day, Michael died of, I don't know, heart disease. Would he go to heaven even though he constantly proclaimed that God (and Satan) did not exist?

atonement.

Substitutionary Atonement

We can only pay the price of sin on our own by being punished and placed in hell for all eternity. But God’s Son, Jesus Christ, came to earth to pay for the price of our sins. Because He did this for us, we now have the opportunity to not only have our sins forgiven, but to spend eternity with Him. In order to do this we must place our faith in what Christ did on the cross. We cannot save ourselves; we need a substitute to take our place. The death of Jesus Christ is the substitutionary atonement.

Jesus did what we could not. He took our place and bore our sins in his body on the cross (1 Pet. 2:24) and made propitiation for our sins.
  • Rom. 3:25, "whom God displayed publicly as a propitiation in His blood through faith. This was to demonstrate His righteousness, because in the forbearance of God He passed over the sins previously committed."
  • 1 John 2:2, "and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world."
  • 1 John 4:10, "In this is love, not that we loved God, but that He loved us and sent His Son to be the propitiation for our sins."
The word propitiation "properly signifies the removal of wrath by the offering of a gift."1 Propitiation properly deals with the wrath of God. The wrath of God is due to the legal requirements of punishing the sinner. Remember, the sinner is someone who has broken the law of God; hence, the legality of punishment, and since Jesus is our propitiation and turns away the lawful wrath of God, we have further evidence that Christ's sacrifice was to avert God's righteous wrath against us, the sinners. Since the law of God must be met and cannot be ignored, it is proper that the law be fulfilled. Jesus is the one who fulfilled the law and never sinned (1 Pet. 2:22). But, he bore our sins in his body on the cross (1 Pet. 2:24) and became sin on our behalf (2 Cor. 5:21) thereby suffering the penalty of sin, which is death.

Substitutionary Atonement of Jesus Christ | Views on the Atonement | Christian Apologetics and Research Ministry

Acts 16:31 And they said, Believe on the Lord Jesus Christ, and thou shalt be saved, and thy house.

Wouldn't Acts 16:31 be an incorrect statement if we had to merit salvation, keep salvation, become holy enough? No. It is what Christ has done which saves us.

Do you believe all the lies that the Vatican produced in their new testament?

atonement.

Do you believe all the lies that the Vatican produced in their new testament?

The Vatican was founded in 1929. The New Testament was produced way before that.

Vatican City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

You cannot attain heaven, no matter how wonderful you are, without the grace of Christ.

That's the beginning and end of it.

And whether or not you think a saved man is "mean" is completely irrelevant, as he cannot earn his way to heaven by being kind. The only way he can get to heaven is by the blood of the lamb, and that will cover a multitude of sins, as it was meant to.

If his salvation is sincere, and he repents of his sins, he will attain heaven. Nobody is perfect...the point is that you strive to improve yourself and become more christlike. We all start from different places, so taking a snapshot of any one of us on any day will give you a whole world of sin...we are all sinful. That is the point.

you can not pretend on something that does not exist :D

In order to get to heaven giving to the poor is not enough even if one would beleive a non-existent issue of the philantropic atheist existed ;)

In my humble opinion, yes. He didn't need to believe in a god. The real God knew his heart.

except giving to the poor is a necessary but not sufficient condition.

the hypothetical person can be giving to charities, but commit financial frauds that lead a lot of people to become poor...
or he may cheat on his wife. or abuse his subordinates. there are way too many other sinful deeds and even thoughts that have much more value on the scales, than just giving to charity.

I don't know where the notion of giving the money to the poor to be a salvation equivalent is coming from.

Or I suspect where from, but I will be nice :)

Last edited:
You cannot attain heaven, no matter how wonderful you are, without the grace of Christ.

That's the beginning and end of it.

And whether or not you think a saved man is "mean" is completely irrelevant, as he cannot earn his way to heaven by being kind. The only way he can get to heaven is by the blood of the lamb, and that will cover a multitude of sins, as it was meant to.

If his salvation is sincere, and he repents of his sins, he will attain heaven. Nobody is perfect...the point is that you strive to improve yourself and become more christlike. We all start from different places, so taking a snapshot of any one of us on any day will give you a whole world of sin...we are all sinful. That is the point.

The blind ( lying Christians ) will lead the blind ( other sinners ) to their grave without knowing who our Creator is.

In order to get to heaven giving to the poor is not enough even if one would beleive a non-existent issue of the philantropic atheist existed ;)

No religious acts are required to be saved from your wicked flesh and this world. God already planned and created salvation for ALL His people ( Israel ).

Isaiah 25: 6-9
6: On this mountain the LORD of hosts will make for all peoples a feast of fat things, a feast of wine on the lees, of fat things full of marrow, of wine on the lees well refined.
7: And he will destroy on this mountain the covering that is cast over all peoples, the veil that is spread over all nations.
8: He will swallow up death for ever, and the Lord GOD will wipe away tears from all faces, and the reproach of his people he will take away from all the earth; for the LORD has spoken.
9: It will be said on that day, "Lo, this is our God; we have waited for him, that he might save us. This is the LORD; we have waited for him; let us be glad and rejoice in his salvation."

No religious acts are required to be saved from your wicked flesh and this world. God already planned and created salvation for ALL His people ( Israel ).

Nope, religious acts, belief and deeds ARE required in order to get into heaven.
1. God's Grace and mercy
1 John 3:4 - Sin is transgression of (disobedience to) God's law.

Romans 3:23 - Everyone has committed sin. [1 John 1:8,10]

Romans 6:23 - The consequence of sin is eternal death, unless the sins are forgiven. Without forgiveness there is no hope of eternal life.
John 6:44,45 - No man can come to Jesus without hearing, learning, and being taught.
Romans 10:17 - Faith comes by hearing the word of God.

This is the role the word plays in salvation. We cannot be saved until we learn from God's word what He requires of us. The Spirit does not work directly on man's heart to lead to salvation, but works through the word (Ephesians 6:17).

[1 Cor. 1:21; 2 Tim. 3:16,17; John 8:31,32; Matthew 13:23; Romans 1:16; 10:13,14; Mark 16:15,16; Acts 8:26,29,35; 9:6; 11:14; 18:8; Luke 6:46-49; 11:28; 2 Thessalonians 2:14; Revelation 3:20]
2. Faith
Hebrews 11:6 - But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Romans 5:1 - We are justified by faith.

Saving faith is a conviction and trust in Jesus that leads one to obey Jesus in the other steps listed below (Galatians 5:6; James 2:14-26; Hebrews 11).

[Rom. 10:9,10; Gal. 3:26; John 3:16; 8:24; Mark 16:16; Acts 16:31; Eph. 2:8; Heb. 10:39; Hope - Rom. 8:24; Love - 1 John 4:7,8; Gal. 5:6; 1 Cor. 13:1-3; 16:22]
3. Repentance

2 Corinthians 7:10 - For godly sorrow produces repentance leading to salvation.
Acts 2:38 - Repent and be baptized for the remission of sins.

Repentance is a change of mind in which one determines to turn from sin and do what God says (Matt. 21:28,29). Without this decision, God will not save us.

[Luke 13:3,5; 24:47; Acts 17:30; Acts 2:38; 3:19; 5:31; 20:21; 2 Peter 3:9]
4. Obedience to God's commands

To be forgiven, we must follow through on our repentance and do what God says. Many people will agree with everything to this point, but deny we must do anything. But note:

Hebrews 5:9 - Jesus is the author of eternal salvation to all who obey Him.
Romans 6:17,18 - When we obey from the heart the teaching delivered, we are then made free from sin.
1 Peter 1:22 - We purify our souls in obeying the truth.
Acts 10:34,35 - Whoever fears God and works righteousness is accepted by Him.

It is simply not true that nothing man does is necessary to salvation.

[Matthew 7:21-27; 22:36-39; John 14:15,21-24; Acts 3:20-23; Romans 2:6-10; Hebrews 10:39; 11:8,30; Galatians 5:6; 2 Thessalonians 1:8,9; James 2:14-26; I John 5:3; 2:3-6]
5. Confession of Christ

Romans 10:9,10 - With the heart man believes to righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made to salvation.

Note that faith alone is not enough. Here is a physical act that must be done with the mouth to be saved - one must confess. To deny we must do anything to be saved is to deny confession is necessary.

[Matthew 10:32; 16:15-18; John 1:49; 4:42; 9:35-38; 11:27: 12:42,43; Acts 8:36-38; I Timothy 6:12,13; I John 4:15]
6. Baptism (immersion in water)

Many deny this step is necessary to be saved. Yet the Bible lists is as necessary, just as plainly as it does the other steps:

Mark 16:16 - He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. Is a person saved before or without baptism? No more so than he is saved before or without faith!

Acts 3:22,23 says we must give heed to all things that Jesus teaches.

Salvation may be compared to following a recipe. To have the desired result, it is not enough to follow some or most of the steps. One must include all the ingredients.

[James 2:10; Revelation 22:18,19; Acts 20:27; Matthew 28:20; 4:4-7]

Last edited:
He would hear the Gospel preached in the after life and make his choice whether to accept the proxy work done for Him through Jesus Christ or not.

Nope, religious acts, belief and deeds ARE required in order to get into heaven.

Five Reasons Why Good Works Cannot Save You

making-bible-truth-plain.org » Blog Archive » Five Reasons Why Good Works Cannot Save You

"I know plenty of good, kind atheists (most of them are nicer people than the Catholics I know) and I was wondering about them getting to heaven"

Trust and witness Christ to such people, trusting that the Savior knows that which is best for each one.

1. God's Grace and mercy

Romans 6:23 - The consequence of sin is eternal death, unless the sins are forgiven. Without forgiveness there is no hope of eternal life.
John 6:44,45 - No man can come to Jesus without hearing, learning, and being taught.

This is the role the word plays in salvation. We cannot be saved until we learn from God's word what He requires of us. The Spirit does not work directly on man's heart to lead to salvation, but works through the word (Ephesians 6:17).

[1 Cor. 1:21; 2 Tim. 3:16,17; John 8:31,32; Matthew 13:23; Romans 1:16; 10:13,14; Mark 16:15,16; Acts 8:26,29,35; 9:6; 11:14; 18:8; Luke 6:46-49; 11:28; 2 Thessalonians 2:14; Revelation 3:20]
2. Faith
Hebrews 11:6 - But without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is, and that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him.

Saving faith is a conviction and trust in Jesus that leads one to obey Jesus in the other steps listed below (Galatians 5:6; James 2:14-26; Hebrews 11).

[Rom. 10:9,10; Gal. 3:26; John 3:16; 8:24; Mark 16:16; Acts 16:31; Eph. 2:8; Heb. 10:39; Hope - Rom. 8:24; Love - 1 John 4:7,8; Gal. 5:6; 1 Cor. 13:1-3; 16:22]
3. Repentance

Repentance is a change of mind in which one determines to turn from sin and do what God says (Matt. 21:28,29). Without this decision, God will not save us.

To be forgiven, we must follow through on our repentance and do what God says. Many people will agree with everything to this point, but deny we must do anything. But note:

Romans 6:17,18 - When we obey from the heart the teaching delivered, we are then made free from sin.

[Matthew 7:21-27; 22:36-39; John 14:15,21-24; Acts 3:20-23; Romans 2:6-10; Hebrews 10:39; 11:8,30; Galatians 5:6; 2 Thessalonians 1:8,9; James 2:14-26; I John 5:3; 2:3-6]
5. Confession of Christ

Romans 10:9,10 - With the heart man believes to righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made to salvation.

Note that faith alone is not enough. Here is a physical act that must be done with the mouth to be saved - one must confess. To deny we must do anything to be saved is to deny confession is necessary.

[Matthew 10:32; 16:15-18; John 1:49; 4:42; 9:35-38; 11:27: 12:42,43; Acts 8:36-38; I Timothy 6:12,13; I John 4:15]

Many deny this step is necessary to be saved. Yet the Bible lists is as necessary, just as plainly as it does the other steps:

Mark 16:16 - He who believes and is baptized will be saved; but he who does not believe will be condemned. Is a person saved before or without baptism? No more so than he is saved before or without faith!

Salvation may be compared to following a recipe. To have the desired result, it is not enough to follow some or most of the steps. One must include all the ingredients.

The new testament was written by antichrists who stole the original writings and spoken words from the saints who God used to reveal Himself and His eternal plan. The Vatican was formed by antichrists ( Roman religious authorities ) who made new laws against the laws of our Creator and used them to conform all the antichrists ( Christians ) under one authority ( the Vatican ). Today, all Christians are totally deceived of the true prophecies written by God's prophets. Only us saints are used by our Creator to write the interpretations of the prophecies that God gives us to write.

1. God's Grace and mercy

2. Faith

3. Repentance

5. Confession of Christ

The new testament was written by antichrists who stole the original writings and spoken words from the saints who God used to reveal Himself and His eternal plan. The Vatican was formed by antichrists ( Roman religious authorities ) who made new laws against the laws of our Creator and used them to conform all the antichrists ( Christians ) under one authority ( the Vatican ). Today, all Christians are totally deceived of the true prophecies written by God's prophets. Only us saints are used by our Creator to write the interpretations of the prophecies that God gives us to write.

Oh, I could not care less what you Old Testament thumper believe, your vicious hatred and denial of Our Lord Jesus Christ will be rewarded, no doubt about it.

Five Reasons Why Good Works Cannot Save You

making-bible-truth-plain.org » Blog Archive » Five Reasons Why Good Works Cannot Save You

Of course they do. They are one of the most necessary components for salvation.

James 2:14-26

Faith Without Works Is Dead

He would hear the Gospel preached in the after life and make his choice whether to accept the proxy work done for Him through Jesus Christ or not.

might be a bit too late.

redemption is universal, salvation is personal.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4aWIQFogJAc]Mark Lowry Recovering Fundamentalist - YouTube[/ame]

Mark 16:16 says "He that believeth and is baptized shall be saved; but he that believeth not shall be damned."

It says, "....he that believeth not shall be damned" and not "he that is not baptized and believeth not shall be damned" because it is belief that causes salvation and not baptism."

Forum List

Back