How stupid is Slate?

Quantum Windbag

Gold Member
May 9, 2010
This stupid.

It's a strange hypothetical scenario to imagine. Pressure to accept a medical treatment, no tangible proof of its necessity, its only benefits conferred by the fact that everyone else already has it, and coming at a terrible expense to those 1 or 2 percent who have a bad reaction. It seems unlikely that doctors, hospitals, parents, or society in general would tolerate a standard practice like this.

Except they already do. The imaginary treatment I described above is real. Obstetricians, doctors, and midwives commit this procedure on infants every single day, in every single country. In reality, this treatment is performed almost universally without even asking for the parents' consent, making this practice all the more insidious. It's called infant gender assignment: When the doctor holds your child up to the harsh light of the delivery room, looks between its legs, and declares his opinion: It's a boy or a girl, based on nothing more than a cursory assessment of your offspring's genitals.

http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/...ment_unnecessary_and_potentially_harmful.html

Last edited:
It is time stop including a persons gender on their birth certificate. Each person should at an appropriate time and maturity declare her/his/it's own gender regardless of genitalia?

(Please read in a sarcastic tone)

descisions about who's allowed to blog post on their site. That doesn't make them "stupid". And as for Christin Scarlett Milloy who wrote the post I can think of a lot of adjectives to describe his? opinion. One of them would probably be "stupid".

Slate has over the years been one of the top on-line mags with some of the best journalists and authors in the world as contributors.

I think QW needs to look up hyperbole and then recognize that sometimes writing can be more complex than the narrow ideological mind can comprehend.

Last edited by a moderator:
descisions about who's allowed to blog post on their site. That doesn't make them "stupid". And as for Christin Scarlett Milloy who wrote the post I can think of a lot of adjectives to describe his? opinion. One of them would probably be "stupid".

Slate has over the years been one of the top on-line mags with some of the best journalists and authors in the world as contributors.

You are right, I shouldn't blame Slate just because they let stupid people post on their site. Where would USMB without the stupid people like me?

Last edited:
I think QW needs to look up hyperbole and then recognize that sometimes writing can be more complex than the narrow ideological mind can comprehend.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c8xhH7EUe0

I think you often try to prove you are intelligent, and fall flat on your face. What, pray tell, is harmful to anyone about pointing out what set of genitals they have? Are we supposed to pretend that reality doesn't exist because a small percentage of the population develops a delusional belief that they are trapped in the wrong body?

I don't get your point, [MENTION=37219]QuantumWindbag[/MENTION]. If a newborn child has two sets of genitalia, should the doctor be the one to decide which to keep? Or the parents?

Even more compelling is the dilemma today as that infant grows up. Are transgendered children really the result of a doctor's error in judgement?

That makes, actually affirms, the need to recognize the rights of the transgendered.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-c8xhH7EUe0

I questioned QW once. He said how dare I go toe to toe with the master. I assumed he meant masters degree. Then again, maybe he's just a legend in his own mind.

He told me that his opinions are "on record" here at USMess and that if I want to know what he thinks, I should search his posts.

Luckily, his opinions don't seem to be worth searching for.

I don't get your point, [MENTION=37219]QuantumWindbag[/MENTION]. If a newborn child has two sets of genitalia, should the doctor be the one to decide which to keep? Or the parents?

Even more compelling is the dilemma today as that infant grows up. Are transgendered children really the result of a doctor's error in judgement?

That makes, actually affirms, the need to recognize the rights of the transgendered.

Good question.

If genitals are ambiguous, who should decide?

Eventually, it should be the owners of the genitals who make the decision but what about the years between birth and the time when an individual is able to do that?

I don't get your point, @QuantumWindbag . If a newborn child has two sets of genitalia, should the doctor be the one to decide which to keep? Or the parents?

Umm, how often does that happen? What the fuck does it have to do with this thread? Do you understand the difference between a transgender and and a hermaphrodite?

Hint, one is natural the other is a delusion.

Last edited:
I don't get your point, @QuantumWindbag . If a newborn child has two sets of genitalia, should the doctor be the one to decide which to keep? Or the parents?

Good question.

If genitals are ambiguous, who should decide?

Eventually, it should be the owners of the genitals who make the decision but what about the years between birth and the time when an individual is able to do that?

Why make a big deal about it at all?

I think the point of the article is not for the 1/100,000 births where a hermaprhodite is born.

The point of the article is that it's cruel for parents and doctors to declare a gender based on what the kid was born with rather than letting them make a decision later in life. Because that's unfair to the small minority of people who are transgender.

Forum List

Back