How should healthcare by paid and whom should be required to pay for it?

We already take care of the poor in this country. I don't have a problem with that (exc for the fraud and abuse) What I do have a problem with is paying for my neighbors insurance while his kids get a free ride to college and he drives a nicer car than us. That's why the whole mortgage bailout and cash for clunkers pissed me off. We have many many irresponsible people in this country living beyond their means. And we are rewarding them for that. Our income has been cut in half the past few months. We have lost tons in our kids college funds and 401Ks. But guess what? We have SAVED for a rainy day. And if I lost my job tomorrow we would pay for Cobra. It would be painful but that's our priority.

I am tired of this govt telling us to reward irresponsibility and punish success.

Now let's say that you have been diagnosed with cancer. You can no longer work, but your spouse still works. Unfortunately, you were the one who provided health insurance through your employer as your spouse works for a small business that doesn't provide insurance. Cobra runs out in 18 months, and no insurance company will touch you. Good luck, because you will then lose everything you ever saved, and then the medical bills will bankrupt you. You may or may not receive the ongoing care you need, and in the end, it may also cost you your life. This happens to many people everyday, but until it happens to you, you just aren't going to get it.

sometimes thats the way it is....until it happens to you....i had my eyes opened about the Elderly in the country through my folks....and talking to other kids their with their folks...piss poor....

I realize rules are different in different states but in NJ no one can be turned down at the ER. We also have free health clinics for pregnant girls who provide immunizations for the children.. Basically the only people without free basic care are those who can afford it. So yes in that circumstance, they should be required to pay up front unless it is a life or death situation.The only people I know without it drive very nice cars. Errrr!

Actually, that is a federal law.
And they can be turned down.

Do you believe in the philosophy from each according to his ability to each according to his need?

no, that's code for you work your ass off while I sit on mine. then you bring me half of what you make. you damn marxist.

I realize rules are different in different states but in NJ no one can be turned down at the ER. We also have free health clinics for pregnant girls who provide immunizations for the children.. Basically the only people without free basic care are those who can afford it. So yes in that circumstance, they should be required to pay up front unless it is a life or death situation.The only people I know without it drive very nice cars. Errrr!

not if they receive federal funding they can't

If the government is going to provide "free" medical care for every AMerican then every American should pay a flat tax. Say 25% of every dollar you make should kick into the common good. No refunds, no rebates,, hell look at the money would would save. No need for congress no need for the IRS,,

Emma's right. If it is not deemed an emergency...too bad.

The costs will fall as they have in the ten western industrialized nations who pay 1/2 for their national health care, and have healthier, longer living populations.

and this is because they have NHC?.....you can have the greatest health care on the planet....if you dont take care of yourself,then the health care means squat,until your in the hospital with a heart attack....which is one of Americas problems.....many people are WAY to overweight....including a lot of kids...

True. About the obesity and not taking care of yourself.

There are certain things that both sides agree upon and almost evreryone would like fixed like pre existing conditions and losing benefits if you get sick. Why don't they fix those types of issues now and do this bill in pieces? Or is fixing what's broke not the real agenda?

There are certain things that both sides agree upon and almost evreryone would like fixed like pre existing conditions and losing benefits if you get sick. Why don't they fix those types of issues now and do this bill in pieces? Or is fixing what's broke not the real agenda?

The way we pay for healthcare is broken. We spend between 20 to 25 percent for administrative costs on the side of insurance companies, and another approximately 15% on the healthcare side for administrative costs which are created by having to deal with so many different insurance companies and different plans. Bottom line is that 35 to 40 percent, some will argue that it is more, could be saved under a one payer system. This doesn't include the approximately 5 percent for insurance companies profit margin. In essence, we are paying almost twice as much as we should as only around 55% of all healthcare spending goes to actual healthcare.

To remove this wasteful spending, there are basically two options. First option is a one payer system. Second option is to make people pay out of pocket for all routine healthcare, with government subsidies to the poor, and only allow insurance companies to offer major medical, again with the government offering subsidies to the poor.

Either option with some serious tort reform would drop costs drastically while at the same time allowing us to offer at least basic care to everyone, and catastrophic care to everyone who choses to pay. If you can afford catastrophic insurance and choose not to purchase it, then you should be turned away when you get sick.

The way we pay for healthcare is broken. We spend between 20 to 25 percent for administrative costs on the side of insurance companies, and another approximately 15% on the healthcare side for administrative costs which are created by having to deal with so many different insurance companies and different plans. Bottom line is that 35 to 40 percent, some will argue that it is more, could be saved under a one payer system. This doesn't include the approximately 5 percent for insurance companies profit margin. In essence, we are paying almost twice as much as we should as only around 55% of all healthcare spending goes to actual healthcare.

To remove this wasteful spending, there are basically two options. First option is a one payer system. Second option is to make people pay out of pocket for all routine healthcare, with government subsidies to the poor, and only allow insurance companies to offer major medical, again with the government offering subsidies to the poor.

Either option with some serious tort reform would drop costs drastically while at the same time allowing us to offer at least basic care to everyone, and catastrophic care to everyone who choses to pay. If you can afford catastrophic insurance and choose not to purchase it, then you should be turned away when you get sick.

That's not completely accurate, the price they charge for administrative costs also covers what the FDA charges them. Follow the money to the top.

The ones that are considered POOR by our government, have all the coverage in the world with Medicaid, tis true....which is an adult making about $7k a year without children, below 15k a year if just husband and wife, here in maine. It is the Law with Medicaid that you must be a citizen to receive it since 2006 with mandatory measures in place that assures such.

But I think the true problem comes with those adults without children who make only $10k a year or $15k a year which is still poverty in this day and age with the rise in the cost of living that has taken place...these people can NOT afford a policy that pays 80% of health care costs on the free market because it is about $1200 bucks a MONTH for a single individual policy/$2200 a month for matt and me with Blue cross/blue shield Anthem....just looked that up for here in maine, for my age....well, THAT is MORE than the person making 15k or even 20k NETS in a year after social security taxes and medicare taxes and state income taxes are taken out!

It is impossible for an average couple like matt and me to pay $24,000 A YEAR for our health care....THe cheapest policy THAT paid only 60% of health care costs up to a max limit, was $22,000 a year for Matt and me! And THAT is utterly ridiculous and THAT is OUR PROBLEM with health care coverage in America...individuals do NOT get the benefit of a GROUP RATE....and even with that, health care is unaffordable for the middle class....the upper middle class can probably afford an individual policy, but still a great burden on them!

The very poorest will have health care coverage with medicaid, IF they ARE a citizen...but those making double to triple($21k) that minimum that the government cares for, STILL CAN NOT afford it if their business does not offer a group rate plan with company help in paying it.

not in my State....you go in an ER for the shits,not an Emergency yes,but you will be treated,you just might have to wait all day until they get through the real stuff........but you will be seen.......

From what I understand, EMTALA doesn't override state laws that would mandate everyone be treated. Are you saying California has such a statute?

The ones that are considered POOR by our government, have all the coverage in the world with Medicaid, tis true....which is an adult making about $7k a year without children, below 15k a year if just husband and wife, here in maine.
Here, only children, pregnant women, elderly and disabled are eligible.

The ones that are considered POOR by our government, have all the coverage in the world with Medicaid, tis true....which is an adult making about $7k a year without children, below 15k a year if just husband and wife, here in maine.
Here, only children, pregnant women, elderly and disabled are eligible.

yes, i just reviewed it again, same here.... income qualifications vary by state...

not in my State....you go in an ER for the shits,not an Emergency yes,but you will be treated,you just might have to wait all day until they get through the real stuff........but you will be seen.......

From what I understand, EMTALA doesn't override state laws that would mandate everyone be treated. Are you saying California has such a statute?

dont know if its a statute,but when my siblings and i were taking my dad back and forth from the ER before he died,talking to the ER nurses there, i got the impression that it is a state law at least, they had to see all those people waiting in the ER at 2 AM (30-40 at least).....she said most of the times its for the kids,dont feel well....and they were all probably without Ins.....just a wild guess.....:eusa_whistle:

Forum List

Back