How should healthcare by paid and whom should be required to pay for it?

i am pretty sure it should read "who should be..."

now if you say ....how should healthcare be paid and by whom?

but not that way you have it....

I think this health care plan should be paid by anyone who benifited from the Bush tax cuts. By the way, those bush tax cuts cost more than this this health care plan, but it was no problem back then. I wonder why....

Do you believe in the philosophy from each according to his ability to each according to his need?

Nope.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Then why are hospitals mandated that they provide for people whether they pay or not.

I posted this in another thread that was talking about illegal immigrants getting healthcare paid for by the government, but I wanted to shift gears a little and talk about WHO should pay for healthcare for citizens.

Do you think that the federal laws should be changed that mandate that emergency rooms treat all patients regardless of their ability to pay (EMTALA)?

Maybe ERs should adopt pre-pay policies. You tell them what your problem is, you pay cash (or credit card, money order, bank check) and then you can see the doctor. If he recommends a CT scan, you lay down $1K and the picture will be taken.

If you are in an accident and you are unconscious, just a few simple calls to your bank and your funds will be wired...then you can be seen.

There are some hospitals in this country that exclusively see people on government insurance or the poor who cannot pay anything. If the government did not help them, they would not exist.

We are no longer talking about illegal immigrants. We are talking about natural-born citizen. We are talking about you.

I want to know what you think. You're the doctor here. You are probably in the best position to give a "diagnosis!"

I think that hospitals and doctors SHOULD provide, regardless of ability to pay. It is an important service that should be provided which distinguishes our country from a third world medical system.

However, the cost of this reduced and free care should not fall exclusively on doctors and hospitals. Financial assistance to curb losses should be offered by all of society.

Just like you may not want to pay money out of your pocket to help someone in need, I may not want to give out all of my medical care for free. I can't afford it.

i am pretty sure it should read "who should be..."

now if you say ....how should healthcare be paid and by whom?

but not that way you have it....

Dammit bones! I'm a doctor, not a grammar teacher!

320x240.jpg

I realize rules are different in different states but in NJ no one can be turned down at the ER. We also have free health clinics for pregnant girls who provide immunizations for the children.. Basically the only people without free basic care are those who can afford it. So yes in that circumstance, they should be required to pay up front unless it is a life or death situation.The only people I know without it drive very nice cars. Errrr!

I posted this in another thread that was talking about illegal immigrants getting healthcare paid for by the government, but I wanted to shift gears a little and talk about WHO should pay for healthcare for citizens.

Do you think that the federal laws should be changed that mandate that emergency rooms treat all patients regardless of their ability to pay (EMTALA)?

Maybe ERs should adopt pre-pay policies. You tell them what your problem is, you pay cash (or credit card, money order, bank check) and then you can see the doctor. If he recommends a CT scan, you lay down $1K and the picture will be taken.

If you are in an accident and you are unconscious, just a few simple calls to your bank and your funds will be wired...then you can be seen.

There are some hospitals in this country that exclusively see people on government insurance or the poor who cannot pay anything. If the government did not help them, they would not exist.

We are no longer talking about illegal immigrants. We are talking about natural-born citizen. We are talking about you.

I want to know what you think. You're the doctor here. You are probably in the best position to give a "diagnosis!"

I think that hospitals and doctors SHOULD provide, regardless of ability to pay.

Did the doctors and hospital agree to be enslaved?

Should we also enslave chicks who look like Jessica Biel, I definitely can use her services.

I realize rules are different in different states but in NJ no one can be turned down at the ER. We also have free health clinics for pregnant girls who provide immunizations for the children.. Basically the only people without free basic care are those who can afford it. So yes in that circumstance, they should be required to pay up front unless it is a life or death situation.The only people I know without it drive very nice cars. Errrr!

Actually, that is a federal law.

Everybody pays a national insurance fee on a predetermined basis, this covers sickness and unemployment.

Something along the lines of this

- Everyone above a certain age must buy some health insurance, just like everyone who drives a car must buy car insurance.
- People who can afford it pay for insurance.
- A sliding scale subsidized by the government for those who cannot afford care.
- Co-pays for everything. Higher co-pays for more elective treatments.
- Insurers can sell across state lines.
- No for-profit medical insurers. This is what they do in Switzerland. There is often a fundamental conflict between paying out insurance and profit. Some insurers are great. Some insurers are scumbags who will do everything they can to avoid paying a claim. This is true of car insurance, home insurance, hurricane insurance, health insurance, etc. There are many mutual insurers, including State Farm. Cut out shareholders altogether.
- Everyone pays a small tax or premium for catastrophe health re-insurance run by either the government or a private insurer.
- Cap tort awards.
- Reduce patent protection 1 to 5 years.

Do you believe in the philosophy from each according to his ability to each according to his need?

Nope.

The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not.
Thomas Jefferson

Then why are hospitals mandated that they provide for people whether they pay or not.

Because Americans do not want see much less take care of their own sick and dying.

This is a very good question xotoxi. It dovetails with the illegal question, in that the verification of citizen status is a police power/responsibility that I don't think should be foisted on the medical services community. I think the people should be treated and the bill sent to the Federal gov't. It is they after all that allow and even encourage illegals' presence in this country.

Just as we pay federal income taxes to wage war, so should we handle health care, IMO. We have FICA to pay for SS and Medicare. I don't think healthcare should be tied to employment. I agree with all of Toro's bullet points.

- Co-pays for everything. Higher co-pays for more elective treatments.

I agree with this. In addition:

No co-pay for preventive treatments (annual physicals, mammogram, Pap, prostate, colonoscopy every 10 years).

High co-pay for ER visit unless the patient is admitted, or if it is deemed to be an emergency (such as severe laceration, fracture, etc.) or if they are told to go there by their primary doctor (sometimes this happens: patient calls with crushing chest pain - might be a heart attack so you don't want them in the office, but it ends up being reflux when examined in the ER.)

Forum List

Back