How racist is America compared to other countries?

Why didn't you just read it over and over again until you got it?

Are you that bad at reading comprehension?

Why don't you answer the question?
Because you are boring.

Bull.

What's the real reason?
Youre boring?

We both know that that is not the reason. DO you dislike having people point out when you say ridiculous stuff?

What racism did you see in these other countries that was so much like the racism here that you consider it a reflection?

Did you see someone roll some candy to a black woman?
See what I mean by boring?

Why don't you answer the question?
Because you are boring.

Bull.

What's the real reason?
Youre boring?

We both know that that is not the reason. DO you dislike having people point out when you say ridiculous stuff?

What racism did you see in these other countries that was so much like the racism here that you consider it a reflection?

You aren't bored.

YOu're mad that someone had the gall to actually challenge the ridiculous statement you made.

Now you are trying to dodge defending it.

Because you are boring.

Bull.

What's the real reason?
Youre boring?

You aren't bored.

YOu're mad that someone had the gall to actually challenge the ridiculous statement you made.

If you say so.

Bull.

What's the real reason?
Youre boring?

You aren't bored.

If you say so.

I do.

Youre boring?

You aren't bored.

If you say so.

I do.
Good job.

You aren't bored.

If you say so.

I do.
Good job.

NOt really. YOu made this one real easy for me.

OTher nations cultures are not just reflections of the US. CUltural diffusion does not work that way.

It is a sad commentary on the state of the public discourse that you thought you could post something like that and that it would not be challenged.

You aren't bored.

If you say so.

I do.
Good job.

OTher nations cultures are not just reflections of the US. CUltural diffusion does not work that way.

It is a sad commentary on the state of the public discourse that you thought you could post something like that and that it would not be challenged.
That was profound. :itsok:

You aren't bored.

If you say so.

I do.
Good job.

You would do well to learn from me. It is obvious from your posts that to many people let you spout crazy ideas without any checks.

Living in a echo chamber is not healthy.

I will let you know when you are getting to crazy.

You would do well to learn from me. It is obvious from your posts that to many people let you spout crazy ideas without any checks.

Living in a echo chamber is not healthy.

I will let you know when you are getting to crazy.
That was actually funny and not boring. "Learn" from you..... :laugh:

...Awfully defensive about etymology aren't we?...
Hardly... merely resetting the playing field, so that it stops being a Bash Whitey Festival, and spreads the blame around, the way it truly should be.

That's not Defense... that's Offense... or being Proactive, at the very least.

...I just find it interesting, especially the robot bit. So sue me...
Yes. I found it interesting, also. I always find one-sided explanations to be interesting. This one merely required some supplementing.

...I am reminded, howsomever, of this:..
Glad you enjoyed it... I know I did.

Hardly... merely resetting the playing field, so that it stops being a Bash Whitey Festival, and spreads the blame around, the way it truly should be.

There is nothing "bash whitey" -- or "bash" anybody -- about noting an etymology. Nor does anyone claim slavery is an exclusively white practice.

Yes. I found it interesting, also. I always find one-sided explanations to be interesting. This one merely required some supplementing.

Catherine Tate is my favourite comedian. She's freaking genius. :thup:

...You seem to be going out of your way to bring in Arabs as well as to shift the focus from the European transporters to Africans...
Just helping to spread the good cheer... spreading the blame to the historically accurate multiple parties who share substantial guilt in the matter.

The bizarre fact is, slavery has appeared on every continent and within every race; Europeans enslaving Europeans, Africans enslaving Africans, Asians, Native Americans etc, so its presence in Africa was the norm in the world -- not the exception...
It's also largely a matter of when slavery was ended as a practice, in Region A or B, and, in connection with One's Own, rather than The Other Guy.

...What was new about the transatlantic commerce was the concept of shipping said slaves to an entirely different part of the world on a journey that to its human cargo must have seemed effectively like one of us being abducted by aliens and sent to a distant planet. It was a whole new level of meaning to the already-iffy concept of slavery and begat the invention of the instrument used to justify such a new paradigm: racism...
Yep.

...Africans did not invent that. Nor did Arabs.
Hmmmmm...

You seem in rather insistent upon defending Africans and Arabs in this matter.

Perhaps I should not have chimed-in with an accurate sharing of the blame amongst parties... it detracts from the Bash Whitey Festival.

Meanwhile...

I don't know enough about African slavery across the continent to say whether they invented anything analogous in their own travels, although, my Spidey-Sense tells me that they were sufficiently 'local' or 'regional' so that there was very little cross-over between regions within the African continent, for slavery that they practiced in the inner regions.

I DO know that the Muslim-Arab slavers of the Barbary Coast and beyond (east and west along the shores of the Med) engaged in the bulk transport of their slaves throughout much of the then-known world, to include all of North Africa, the Middle East, Turkey, Persia and beyond, so, I'm not so sure the Arabs deserve to be let off the hook as lacking something analogous in their own right.

The Muslim-Arab slave-trade was far too profitable not to have invented such analogies over the many and long centuries that they were the world's Premiere Slave Traders.

I'm pointing out that you seem desperate to hang a combination Arab/African coat of paint on what was in fact a European practice. The fact is, as you just agreed above, racism was invented (by Europeans) to rationalize their treatment of human cargo as business capital, and the fact is Africans and Arabs did not. Ergo there is nothing to "defend" involving either group for a simple nonexistence of the practice.

Now when some revisionista attempts to distort history to bizarre misshapen forms, I'll be there to push it back into the shape in which it belongs. If that's an issue, then... don't distort the history in the first place.

While you're on the topic of revising history, what's this about racism being INVENTED to justify the slave trade? I mean, what is it aside from the most ignorant thing anyone on this thread has claimed?

It must be purely coincidence that the lines along which wars were fought prior to the triangle trade, along which nations were drawn, along which caste systems were laid out, were based on ethnicity more often than not.

I guess than Asian subsects didn't start declaring their superiority over each other until the evil white man gave them the idea that people who look different are different.

Sorry, but when you consider that each evolution of primate leading to man tended to wipe out those less evolved primates in their regions of habitation, I think it's hard to deny that we're naturally a tribalistic species.

Add to that the fact that humans subconsciously analyze others' emotional state based on subtle changes in facial expression and body language and assess whether they're a potential threat based primarily on these visual cues. This implies that our brains are wired to assess threats based mostly on how they look.

Now, given that humans tend toward tribalism and are wired to assess threats based on what they look like, it follows as the most natural thing in the world that the tribalism would fall along the lines of those who look familiar (like your family) vs those who don't.

The European slave traders didn't invent racism, they just played on existing tendencies.

That's quite the rambling tangent. I didn't bring up "tribalism".
See post 38.

I never said you brought up tribalism. I brought up tribalism.

How would you know if I was rambling if you didn't actually read my post?

There is nothing "bash whitey" -- or "bash" anybody -- about noting an etymology. Nor does anyone claim slavery is an exclusively white practice.

The part where its obvious that you're bashing whitey is where you try to argue that it was significantly worse, on a moral level, for Europeans to take African slaves far from home than it was for Arabs to do the same.

Also, when you make the insane claim that nobody was racist before the Portuguese and Spanish started buying Africans, and Europeans "invented" the idea of racial superiority. As though it was an obscure "idea" that needed inventing.

You're going way out of your way to imply that white people are more intrinsically evil than others. Did the Europeans v teach you that?

The part where its obvious that you're bashing whitey is where you try to argue that it was significantly worse, on a moral level, for Europeans to take African slaves far from home than it was for Arabs to do the same.

Also, when you make the insane claim that nobody was racist before the Portuguese and Spanish started buying Africans, and Europeans "invented" the idea of racial superiority. As though it was an obscure "idea" that needed inventing.

You're going way out of your way to imply that white people are more intrinsically evil than others. Did the Europeans v teach you that?
Europeans did invent the the idea of racial superiority. They are the ones that invented the concept of race in the first place.

Again, there's nothing "worse" or "better" in a simple word derivation. It's a simple analytical fact.

Same with the rest; it's simple historical fact that Africans, though known in Europe, were not viewed as "inferior" before they got made into a labor commodity. That's history. Whether you like it or not, that's up to you.

I don't know who "Europeans v" are. :dunno:

Sorry, but you two are off your rockers on this one. Historically, virtually every people believed they were superior to all other people. Europeans just made it popular to encourage, for economic reasons as opposed to plain-faced military conquest, the combination of tribalism and egotism that are tendencies of all people.

The simple fact that Europeans invented the negroid, mongoloid, caucazoid terms doesn't mean they invented the concept that "people who don't look like us ain't like us". I don't think "gaijin" was derived from Latin.

Last edited:

I don't pay much attention to comedy stand-up folk but I'll have to keep an eye open for that one.
wink_smile.gif

Sorry, but you two are off your rockers on this one. Historically, virtually every people believed they were superior to all other people. Europeans just made it popular to encourage, for economic reasons as opposed to plain-faced military conquest, the combination of tribalism and egotism that are tendencies of all people.

The simple fact that Europeans invented the negroid, mongoloid, caucazoid terms doesn't mean they invented the concept that "people who don't look like us ain't like us". I don't think "gaijin" was derived from Latin.

Once again, I didn't say invention of terms by European science was part of it. I said the concept of racism was contrived to rationalize the practice of slaving as it manifested in the Americas.

And again, I don't know where you're pulling "gaijin" from or even what the fuck it is.

I don't pay much attention to comedy stand-up folk but I'll have to keep an eye open for that one.
wink_smile.gif

Her cast of characters and accents is amazing.

(/offtopic)

Once again, I didn't say invention of terms by European science was part of it. I said the concept of racism was contrived to rationalize the practice of slaving as it manifested in the Americas.

And again, I don't know where you're pulling "gaijin" from or even what the fuck it is.

Sorry you thought the terminology argument was directed at you, that was for Asclepias, in response to Europeans inventing the concept of race.

I agree, the Europeans made all kinds of faux-intellectual statements to give their particular "we are better than not we!", and in that you could say they were pioneers (though the far more typical "we are God's chosen!" was, I daresay, a far more effective tactic for most of history, thus its popularity before and since) of racist propaganda in the modern era.

The inventors of "our people are superior to their people" propaganda, though? Tell that to every conqueror that went before the triangle trade.

Forum List

Back