How racist is America compared to other countries?

Sorry, but you two are off your rockers on this one. Historically, virtually every people believed they were superior to all other people. Europeans just made it popular to encourage, for economic reasons as opposed to plain-faced military conquest, the combination of tribalism and egotism that are tendencies of all people.

The simple fact that Europeans invented the negroid, mongoloid, caucazoid terms doesn't mean they invented the concept that "people who don't look like us ain't like us". I don't think "gaijin" was derived from Latin.

Once again, I didn't say invention of terms by European science was part of it. I said the concept of racism was contrived to rationalize the practice of slaving as it manifested in the Americas.

And again, I don't know where you're pulling "gaijin" from or even what the fuck it is.

Sorry you thought the terminology argument was directed at you, that was for Asclepias, in response to Europeans inventing the concept of race.

I agree, the Europeans made all kinds of faux-intellectual statements to give their particular "we are better than not we!", and in that you could say they were pioneers (though the far more typical "we are God's chosen!" was, I daresay, a far more effective tactic for most of history, thus its popularity before and since) of racist propaganda in the modern era.

The inventors of "our people are superior to their people" propaganda, though? Tell that to every conqueror that went before the triangle trade.

I doubt they invented the concept of race. What I'm saying is they invented the idea that "it's OK to do what we're doing with these Africans because they're not really human anyway". As if that would be an argument itself, but that was the rationalization. That particular amoral concept was new.

Sorry, but you two are off your rockers on this one. Historically, virtually every people believed they were superior to all other people. Europeans just made it popular to encourage, for economic reasons as opposed to plain-faced military conquest, the combination of tribalism and egotism that are tendencies of all people.

The simple fact that Europeans invented the negroid, mongoloid, caucazoid terms doesn't mean they invented the concept that "people who don't look like us ain't like us". I don't think "gaijin" was derived from Latin.
Far as I can tell saying someone that dont look like us aint us is not racism. The facts are that europeans (Meiner) invented the term caucasian and went on to describe it as superior white skinned people.

Caucasian race - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

"Meiners' treatise was widely read in the German intellectual circles of its day, despite muted criticism of its scholarship. Meiners proposed a taxonomy of human beings which involved only two races (Rassen): Caucasians and Mongolians. He considered Caucasians to be more physically attractive than Mongolians, notably because they had paler skin; Caucasians were also more sensitive and more morally virtuous than Mongolians. Later he would make similar distinctions within the Caucasian group, concluding that the Germans were the most attractive and virtuous people on earth."

"In various editions of On the Natural Variety of Mankind, Blumenbach expanded on Meiners' popular idea and defined five human races based on color, using popular racial terms of his day, justified with scientific terminology, cranial measurements, and facial features. He established Caucasian as the "white race," as well as Mongoloid as the "yellow race," Malayan the "brown race," Ethiopian the "black race," American the "red race."

And Gaijin is the old Japanese term that was used to describe non-Japanese people. As you may have guessed by now, it was significantly less than complimentary. I don't mean to pick on the Japanese, it's just the language I know best next to English. At any rate, the term predates their major trading with the portugese... it's an example of, essentially, race based supremacy terminology not inspired by whitey. No invention necessary.

Once again, I didn't say invention of terms by European science was part of it. I said the concept of racism was contrived to rationalize the practice of slaving as it manifested in the Americas.

And again, I don't know where you're pulling "gaijin" from or even what the fuck it is.

Sorry you thought the terminology argument was directed at you, that was for Asclepias, in response to Europeans inventing the concept of race.

I agree, the Europeans made all kinds of faux-intellectual statements to give their particular "we are better than not we!", and in that you could say they were pioneers (though the far more typical "we are God's chosen!" was, I daresay, a far more effective tactic for most of history, thus its popularity before and since) of racist propaganda in the modern era.

The inventors of "our people are superior to their people" propaganda, though? Tell that to every conqueror that went before the triangle trade.
Your confusing nationalism with racism. There were Black Romans, Greeks, Moors etc.

And Gaijin is the old Japanese term that was used to describe non-Japanese people. As you may have guessed by now, it was significantly less than complimentary. I don't mean to pick on the Japanese, it's just the language I know best next to English. At any rate, the term predates their major trading with the portugese... it's an example of, essentially, race based supremacy terminology not inspired by whitey. No invention necessary.
Japanese/Japan is not a race. Its a country. Again thats nationalism They treated the Koreans like shit and Koreans hate their guts to this day.

I doubt they invented the concept of race. What I'm saying is they invented the idea that "it's OK to do what we're doing with these Africans because they're not really human anyway". As if that would be an argument itself, but that was the rationalization. That particular amoral concept was new.

Gotcha, I was misinterpreting the implications of your argument. What you said here, I can agree with. The faux-scientific justification was pretty cutting edge. Ink reservoir designs, improving paper production methods, people were getting better at disseminating information. The talking heads had to step their game up at the dawn of the age of the literate commoner.

Your confusing nationalism with racism. There were Black Romans, Greeks, Moors etc.

There was multiculturalism prior to the slave trade, I don't argue that, but if you don't think the same principles of racism and the same psychology were driving factors in much ancient nationalism that's where we stop agreeing.

Well known psychological fact that humans tend toward fear of things new, different, and unknown. People with strange looks and customs are literally easier for us to dehumanize, detach from empathy, and blindly despise. Europeans didn't have to create the concept, just encourage the tendency.

They also played on bare egotism. Everybody is afflicted by the nagging subconscious notion that they are "special", and racial superiority tosses an easy justification to the uneducated ego hungry for just that.

There is a strong undercurrent of sullen resentment here among older Americans at how diverse our country is becoming, good thing they will be dead of old age soon.

Diversity is great, we have always been a diverse nation.
It's why we celebrate all of the good things from large immigrations from other countries and they left the bad things behind.
The World I Diversity in America
Diversity in America not only presents a host of intimate snapshots of culture and heritage, but documents the struggles of nationalities to integrate into the “melting pot” society of America, and highlights the strength and integrity of various cultural leaders and thinkers.

It's the lack of integration now. They want their own little private communities that continue, like it is still their mother country.
It is bigger government control that older Americans are against.
They want their freedom from government, not government telling us what we can and can not do.

There was multiculturalism prior to the slave trade, I don't argue that, but if you don't think the same principles of racism and the same psychology were driving factors in much ancient nationalism that's where we stop agreeing.

Well known psychological fact that humans tend toward fear of things new, different, and unknown. People with strange looks and customs are literally easier for us to dehumanize, detach from empathy, and blindly despise. Europeans didn't have to create the concept, just encourage the tendency.

They also played on bare egotism. Everybody is afflicted by the nagging subconscious notion that they are "special", and racial superiority tosses an easy justification to the uneducated ego hungry for just that.
I'm just saying racism and nationalism are 2 different things. Egyptians despised the Nubians despite being the same race and Nubians actually having several dynasties that controlled Egypt. I think the difference is with racism the difference is inherent and unchangeable.

I disagree all humans are afflicted by the european tendency to feel superior due to appearance. Yes all humans fear things that are new and different but their concept of what constitutes those concepts vary as well as their reaction to them. In the Andeman Islands for example one tribe attacks all outsiders while the other tribes were wiped out because they welcomed outsiders and contracted diseases they had not built up immunity to.

I would suggest the notion of racial superiority is a concept rooted in fear not egotism. Its a rationalization of that fear used to suppress those that you feel are actually superior to you.

Japanese/Japan is not a race. Its a country. Again thats nationalism They treated the Koreans like shit and Koreans hate their guts to this day.

Granted, but again I'd argue that the same functions of racism factored in. People from different regions of Asia have distinct differences in appearance, language and customs. Japanese and Korean people are 2 of the more similar Asian peoples in terms of appearance and especially language, but even there the differences are notable.

Granted, but again I'd argue that the same functions of racism factored in. People from different regions of Asia have distinct differences in appearance, language and customs. Japanese and Korean people are 2 of the more similar Asian peoples in terms of appearance and especially language, but even there the differences are notable.
Yeah but the are the same race. They are both Asian. What you do see that can be remotely called racism is their tendency to discriminate against the native people of their lands and darker Asians.

Last edited:

I'm just saying racism and nationalism are 2 different things. Egyptians despised the Nubians despite being the same race and Nubians actually having several dynasties that controlled Egypt. I think the difference is with racism the difference is inherent and unchangeable.

I disagree all humans are afflicted by the european tendency to feel superior due to appearance. Yes all humans fear things that are new and different but their concept of what constitutes those concepts vary as well as their reaction to them. In the Andeman Islands for example one tribe attacks all outsiders while the other tribes were wiped out because they welcomed outsiders and contracted diseases they had not built up immunity to.

I would suggest the notion of racial superiority is a concept rooted in fear not egotism. Its a rationalization of that fear used to suppress those that you feel are actually superior to you.

I mostly agree with this, except that my thought is that the fear and the egotism are hand-in-hand. The desire for justification of one's feeling of self-importance, or the need for proof, is born of fear of one's own mediocrity. So racial superiority is often a two pronged pacifier: I don't need to be afraid of that large black guy, my race alone makes me superior, and, I couldn't possibly be mediocre, I'm part of the master race!

Gaijin just means "person from another country" or "outsider"

Yeah but the are the same race. They are both Asian. What you do see that can be remotely called racism is there tendency to discriminate against the native people of their lands and darker Asians.

Yes, and the fact that they look significantly different and have different language and customs makes them easier to dehumanize than the fact that they live somewhere else.

I'm just saying is based largely on the same factors of division as racism, which is a tendency not native to any particular people.

It also has some very negative connotations akin to racism.

Yeah but the are the same race. They are both Asian. What you do see that can be remotely called racism is there tendency to discriminate against the native people of their lands and darker Asians.

Yes, and the fact that they look significantly different and have different language and customs makes them easier to dehumanize than the fact that they live somewhere else.

I'm just saying is based largely on the same factors of division as racism, which is a tendency not native to any particular people.
I can agree with that.

The Japanese and Korean languages are not all that similar. Certainly not as similar as most Romance languages.

Yes, and it has no negative connotations. That's why it's still used so frequently in mixed company and not considered remotely discourteous.

Like how my name can't properly be written in hiragana, because that's not the alphabet used for foreign words or pronouns. Separate but equal, I guess ;)

Don't get me wrong, I'm only using the Japanese example because it's a non white people with a language I'm alright with, I'm not trying to back homeboy's claim that they're exceptionally racist, just making the point that everybody's got racist tendencies apparent in their history, not just whites.

Was the phrase "get whitey" or "whitey", or "cracker" or "red-neck" surveyed?

I wish a study would be done like that. Of course, it would be dismissed by the left since they think racism is limited to fair skinned people.

Yes, and it has no negative connotations. That's why it's still used so frequently in mixed company and not considered remotely discourteous.

It is used today, and doesn't have a negative connotation

It is used frequently, and only carries a negative connotation if the speaker intends it to. Not unlike how "foreigner can be used in English.

Forum List

Back