How Racist Are We Americans?

MarathonMike
You wrote to IM2 "Have you ever thought about exploring another subject other than racism"

And you wrote that on a sub sectionof an internet forum dedicated to talking about racism. I mean if you can't see what's ironic with your comment then it's pointless writing to you about anything

• Love
Reactions: IM2
Racism is irrational. And let’s assume that little im.2 has felt the sting of such shit. Then? He generalizes about the people just like they generalized about him. No matter how you slice it, prejudice boils down to pre-judging others. It remains irrational and illogical. And it’s not ok that it can be explained by some past experiences as a victim of racism.
Judging people by their genes is irrational. Judging them by their culture is what keeps us alive and it has always been that way.

Judging people by their genes is irrational. Judging them by their culture is what keeps us alive and it has always been that way.
We are all part of the American culture.

I don’t agree. Judging people by their words and conduct is at least not a short cut to actual thought. If you judge other people based on surface level crap, like im.2 does, then you’re guilty of prejudging. That’s “prejudice,” for those keeping score at home.

We are all part of the American culture.
There is no such thing as the 'American culture', there are the many disparate cultures that make up America. Would you say Hip Hop culture and Hasidic culture share anything beyond geography?

I don’t agree. Judging people by their words and conduct is at least not a short cut to actual thought. If you judge other people based on surface level crap, like im.2 does, then you’re guilty of prejudging. That’s “prejudice,” for those keeping score at home.
I can't speak for IM2 only for myself. I think it is a fact that everyone prejudges. If you go to a law office and meet a grey-haired, older gent in a tailored suit and a young woman dressed in very fashion-forward wardrobe with ample cleavage on display, which would you take the law partner and which for the secretary?

I can't speak for IM2 only for myself. I think it is a fact that everyone prejudges. If you go to a law office and meet a grey-haired, older gent in a tailored suit and a young woman dressed in very fashion-forward wardrobe with ample cleavage on display, which would you take the law partner and which for the secretary?
That’s what you think prejudgment is? 😶

MarathonMike
You wrote to IM2 "Have you ever thought about exploring another subject other than racism"

And you wrote that on a sub sectionof an internet forum dedicated to talking about racism. I mean if you can't see what's ironic with your comment then it's pointless writing to you about anything
I post in more forums than most people here on USMB. Music, Sports, Race, Healthcare and others. Search it for yourself. You and IM2 almost never venture outside of Race. BORING!

You never had any problems with whites? You talk about culture? So now you say this but blacks have faced nearly 246 years of racism from whites since this officially became a country and for 403 since it started as a colony. So how are we supposed to feel?
Bullshit. Name one black person who has suffered 246 or 403 years. Blacks are viewed the same under the law as anybody else and-if anything-have more privileges under the law than other races. The simple reality is that you would hold current white people accountable for possible crimes that may have occurred many decades ago committed by total strangers to us. Maybe we should hold blacks accountable for the white missionaries your head hunting ancestors ate. You simply wish to justify the temper tantrums and pathetic whining some blacks use to get what they have not earned. You encourage racism rather than discourage it.

I have lived over a great part of the world, I reckon Americans are one of the least racist cultures in the world.

Far less so than Italians or the Japanese or Arabs I can tell you.

What Americans are however, all races, are culturally naval gazing.

I have lived over a great part of the world, I reckon Americans are one of the least racist cultures in the world.

Far less so than Italians or the Japanese or Arabs I can tell you.

What Americans are however, all races, are culturally naval gazing.
Thank you for an honest observation based on your experiences. I assume by naval gazing you mean that we tend to be immersed in our own issues of the day rather than the big picture. If that assumption is correct, then I can't disagree.

How Racist Are We Americans? What an AP Poll Suggests

In November 2012, I wrote about an Associated Press poll, conducted by researchers from Stanford University, the University of Michigan, and NORC at the University of Chicago, which was designed to measure “implicit” racial bias. It did not look at gender bias, but the results of the poll are instructive about how likely it is that all of us share the same racial biases.

To measure racism, respondents were shown neutral images of a Chinese character – or ideograph – right after a photo of a black male or a white male had been flashed on the screen. The respondents were then asked to rate their feelings, positive to negative, about the ideograph.

The assumption of this method, apparently, was that the Chinese character or ideograph would, by itself, elicit a neutral reaction, since most Americans don’t know the meaning of such ideographs. Thus, any positive or negative feeling a respondent gave after the ideograph had been shown would actually reflect the respondent’s positive or negative feeling about the photo that had been flashed on the screen just prior to the ideograph.

Each respondent was shown numerous ideographs. If a respondent gave more positive ratings when the ideographs were preceded by a white man’s face than a black man’s face, the respondent was classified as anti-black. Conversely, respondents who gave more positive than negative ratings when the ideographs were preceded by a black than white face, were classified as anti-white.

Overall, the poll results based on this measure suggested that well over half of all Americans had implicit racial biases against blacks.

“When measured by an implicit racial attitudes test, the number of Americans with anti-black sentiments jumped to 56 percent, up from 49 percent during the last presidential election…the share of Americans expressing pro-black [anti-white] attitudes fell.”**

Although the AP news story did not mention the precise percentage with anti-white attitudes, Josh Pasek of the University of Michigan, the lead researcher, sent me the full results.

As shown in the chart below, the poll revealed that 33% of Americans exhibited anti-white attitudes and 55% anti-black attitudes, while 12% exhibited no racial bias.

Note also that among whites, more respondents revealed anti-black than anti-white attitudes, while among blacks, the reverse pattern is found – although not nearly to the same degree as with whites.

The poll shows that blacks are not as racist as whites. And that was found without factoring in continuing white racism.
Bias is not the same as racism.

Our Black USMB friends love to take these Racism threads down various rabbit holes and make them into personal attacks. So getting back to the basis of the thread, the US is NOT a racist nation and there is NO systemic racism present in any institution. Quite the contrary, the scales have tipped so far in the other direction that Black and minority leaders can spew the most divisive idiotic rhetoric and never be called out on it.

Our Black USMB friends love to take these Racism threads down various rabbit holes and make them into personal attacks. So getting back to the basis of the thread, the US is NOT a racist nation and there is NO systemic racism present in any institution. Quite the contrary, the scales have tipped so far in the other direction that Black and minority leaders can spew the most divisive idiotic rhetoric and never be called out on it.
The U.S. is a racist nation and whites who practice racism are the least qualified to say it isn't. The scale hasn't tipped and systemic racism does exist.

The U.S. is a racist nation and whites who practice racism are the least qualified to say it isn't. The scale hasn't tipped and systemic racism does exist.
Obama once said White people cling to their guns and their religion. I see people clinging to their racism just as tightly. America WAS a racist nation. America is NOW not a racist nation. There are still people who are racists. That is different than systemic racism. I will keep repeating the truth every time you keep repeating your fantasy.

Have you ever even been in another nation? The USA is one of the least racist ones on earth.

Forum List

Back