How much should this man be compensated?

auditor0007

Gold Member
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, OH
Man's House Mistakenly Destroyed

AOL posted: 23 HOURS 30 MINUTES AGOcomments: 639filed under: National News, Weird NewsPrintShareText SizeAAA(June 10) --

Imagine driving up to a house you own only to find it's not there anymore. That's what happened to Al Byrd of Atlanta on Monday afternoon.
Byrd received a call from a neighbor on June 8 telling him that his childhood home in Carrollton, Ga., had been demolished. When Byrd arrived on the scene with a Carroll County Sheriff's deputy, he found the home, which he still owns, in ruins, the Times-Georgian reported.

The house and heirlooms lost probably won't amount to much in terms of dollars. But how much should this man be compensated, and how much should the companies involved in the destruction of this man's house be forced to pay for their stupidity?

I know a lady who came home to find a new room on her home. The roofers showed up early and got it done in one day. They were supposed to work on the house next door.

Talk about a welcomed surprise.

Should build him a new house like the one destroyed, and replace what they could inside, or at least the best restitution possible for stuff that's irreplaceable.

I suppose some will feel he should get a few million for his pain and suffering, mental anguish, or whatever.:cuckoo:

he should get the value of his house and contents...some of that old shit is worth a damn lot of money now...art deco...is what my mother calls "early marriage" furniture....lol

a home and contents of roughly equal market value in the area, plus some amount for damages. Movve-in expenses etc all covered.

someone somewhere fucked up big time

and the company should face massive fines for failure to confirm they were destroying the right damn house

yes i would not depend on the gps for that...ask the neighbors or check with someone...i have been using map quest and the directions will be so totally wrong....i dont trust them computer things

AOL posted: 23 HOURS 30 MINUTES AGOcomments: 639filed under: National News, Weird NewsPrintShareText SizeAAA(June 10) --

Imagine driving up to a house you own only to find it's not there anymore. That's what happened to Al Byrd of Atlanta on Monday afternoon.
Byrd received a call from a neighbor on June 8 telling him that his childhood home in Carrollton, Ga., had been demolished. When Byrd arrived on the scene with a Carroll County Sheriff's deputy, he found the home, which he still owns, in ruins, the Times-Georgian reported.

The house and heirlooms lost probably won't amount to much in terms of dollars. But how much should this man be compensated, and how much should the companies involved in the destruction of this man's house be forced to pay for their stupidity?

Sad, but shit happens. Undoubtedly lotsa lawsuits here. But I'd still rather discover my home had been mistakenly demolished than to wake up and realize some triple-digit surgeon had mistakenly removed an arm instead of my gallbladder.

Id be seeking full costs to rebuild, plus expenses for housind in the interim, plus emotional damage for destroying priceless family heirlooms.

It's law. The business that destroyed this house should have an General liability policy. That policy will repay to rebuild the home. If he was staying there they will also be liable for providing accomodations until the new home is built.

If they don't have general liability--the person who did will be held liable to rebuild the home.

Should build him a new house like the one destroyed, and replace what they could inside, or at least the best restitution possible for stuff that's irreplaceable.

I suppose some will feel he should get a few million for his pain and suffering, mental anguish, or whatever.:cuckoo:

I don't think he should get it for his pain and suffering etc...I think the company should have to pay it to make sure that they won't do it again. This is utter carelessness and is as inexcusable as someone's example of a wrong-site-surgery.

and how much should the companies involved in the destruction of this man's house be forced to pay for their stupidity?
Actual Loss + Punitive damages.... no one can say what that actual amount is until the actual loss (or something that the owner of the home agrees with) is calculated but personally I hope that a significantly high punitive damage award is forthcoming to make sure that the buffoons responsible do everything possible to make sure it doesn't happen again.

Forum List

Back