How Much Should A Teacher Get Paid?

Because a teacher is charged with educating our children, they should be paid as much as that society feels it can afford. I certainly think they would be paid more than say, first responders. But, we, as a society should demand a higher standard of conduct, and education from our educators than we're getting now.

One area that needs to be addressed is the amount of testing, that our teachers are required to administer to their students. I'm not talking about course testing, but testing for state standards, and federal requirements. Doesn't educate, and it takes up valuable classroom time.

I was on a school board for 4 years, one of which I was board president. Our district was blessed with a high level of educators. We still had problems, but they weren't a result of the teachers.

The United States is having their ass handed to them by the emerging countries, and the reason is THEY put a very high value on education.

I own a business, and more than half the entry level workers we interview can't hardly read nor write, and t hose that can, can't spell. About all their good for is working at Micky D's.

:eusa_whistle::(:eusa_hand:

The whole idea of "we have to know what we can pay before we give you an amount" in the two posts above is poppycock. Sorry, but it is.

I agree that a school has to stay within its budget. No argument there...but you're looking at things backwards. If the value of the work of a teacher is X...and you hire 5 teachers making it 5x to pay them...just because your budget is 4x doesnt mean you reduce what you pay. You up the budget.

I'm not for wild spending or spending "too much"...but if you dont pay teachers a living wage or what they are worth...then you're going to get CRAPPY teachers since you dont pay them what they're worth.

That's been the problem for too long. We're getting bad teachers because they dont get paid enough. And people wont pay more because they see the craptastic teachers we have now. So it's an endless circle of fear and non-payment.

So tell me. How exactly do you pull money out of your ass? I mean clearly thats what you are suggesting people do.

You have budgets for a reason.
How much is A single teacher worth?

Then we can calculate how many of them "the budget" can afford.

Please answser.

Marc, just because you dont like the answer doesn't mean it hasnt already been answered.

There are countless factors that would go into determining this. You know this and yet you think we can just pull numbers out of our ass for some odd reason.

The entitlement attitude runs deep in MarcATTLEbrained.

There will always be an economic consequence to setting someone's wage at a rate that disregards the level of productivity thus there can never be a "living wage" (so called).

They should be paid as well as possible. Maybe, going by cost of living from one area to the next, something close to par with civilian "professionals" with similar education and years on the job. (then subtract the 3 non-productive months of the year) That should work out to a pretty nice living.

Everyone should be paid as well as possible. But that's not really a wage.

Unfortunately there isnt nearly enough information to answer this question. I think Marc is aware of this and yet refuses to acknowledge it because the truth makes him look stupid for asking the question.

Commensurate with how well they do their job...and that doesn't mean passing a poorly performing student to make their numbers looks good.

For you see? It's called MERIT...and it's based on performance...NOT what some bunch of union thugs say it is...

Considering the importance of the job, they should make damn good money.
Yeah, just like those whiney ass bastard teachers in Wisconsin are.

You know, those theachers who are shitting on the RIGHTS of the children to an education by abandoning their classrooms. Those teachers who are shitting on the parents of those children, who are now forced to take time off work at a loss of pay to ensure their children are being taken care of, because their RIGHTS to an education are being shit on by a bunch of greedy lil' pissants. Imagine what it does to a one income single parent or family who can't afford to miss even one payday, let alone multiple pay days........Not that the union, it's members, and all of the supporters of them give a shit.......Yeah, it's all about the children, eh?...................My ass!

Last edited:
There will always be an economic consequence to setting someone's wage at a rate that disregards the level of productivity thus there can never be a "living wage" (so called).

They should be paid as well as possible. Maybe, going by cost of living from one area to the next, something close to par with civilian "professionals" with similar education and years on the job. (then subtract the 3 non-productive months of the year) That should work out to a pretty nice living.

Everyone should be paid as well as possible. But that's not really a wage.

Unfortunately there isnt nearly enough information to answer this question. I think Marc is aware of this and yet refuses to acknowledge it because the truth makes him look stupid for asking the question.

I don't think everyone should be paid as well as possible, I think everyone should be paid based on their level of productivity. That said, I get your point. I really wanted to address the whole "living wage" nonsense.

I understand a numerical answer is not possible and thus did not provide one. Also thanks, and I kind of had an idea about Marc (the philosopher, lol) already and it seems we have a similar opinion.

Considering the importance of the job, they should make damn good money.
Yeah, just like those whiney ass bastard teachers in Wisconsin are.

You know, those theachers who are shitting on the RIGHTS of the children to an education by abandoning their classrooms. Those teachers who are shitting on the parents of those children, who are now forced to take time off work at a loss of pay to ensure their children are being taken care of, because their RIGHTS to an education are being shit on by a bunch of greedy lil' pissants. Imagine what it does to a one income single parent or family who can't afford to miss even one payday, let alone multiple pay days........Not that the union, it's members, and all of the supporters of them give a shit.......Yeah, it's all about the children, eh?...................My ass!

I still wonder how many parents had to shift their work schedule to arrange for someone to watch their kids...or how many HAD TO stay home because there was no one at school to teach their children?

How many lost wages because of this insanity?

I don't think everyone should be paid as well as possible, I think everyone should be paid based on their level of productivity. That said, I get your point. I really wanted to address the whole "living wage" nonsense.

I understand a numerical answer is not possible and thus did not provide one. Also thanks, and I kind of had an idea about Marc (the philosopher, lol) already and it seems we have a similar opinion.

I think we are saying the same thing. When I say eveyrone should be paid as well as possible I was presuming it would be based on their level of productivity. Because people who dont produce anything, obviously cant be paid that much.

I just think people reap what they sow

And should there be a cap on how much that can get paid?

How much is a teacher worth in your opinion?

They should get paid $150,000.00 a year, plus full benefits and paid retirements.

Teachers are worth a million a year, but we just can't afford to pay them what they are really worth to society. They teach an average of 200 students a day, or 48,000 students a year in various educational studies that prepare the student for their next step in educational advancement towards a PhD. for $3.12 an hour per student.

The avg teacher pay in my district is 55K. The avg home price is 300K. Its hard for unmarried people.

Marc - I had a professor in grad school who claimed that the public would like teachers paid "slightly less" than the avg salary in the community. Hence - teachers is wealthy districts are usually paid a lot more. (As long as it's less than everyone else). Makes sense.

I still wonder how many parents had to shift their work schedule to arrange for someone to watch their kids...or how many HAD TO stay home because there was no one at school to teach their children?

Yep, you get what you pay for, so times will just get tougher on parents and students. If you think cutting wages & benefits is a reward for dedicated employees, you are sadly mistaken. Expect less.

The avg teacher pay in my district is 55K. The avg home price is 300K. Its hard for unmarried people.

Marc - I had a professor in grad school who claimed that the public would like teachers paid "slightly less" than the avg salary in the community. Hence - teachers is wealthy districts are usually paid a lot more. (As long as it's less than everyone else). Makes sense.
So, I guess that goes to the "everybody deserves their own home" entitlement mentality.

Maybe that teacher should move to another district where home prices are lower, don't ya' think?

A teacher doesn't have to live in the district they teach.

Teachers should be paid what a district can afford. They should be paid on a merit based scale the district can afford.......If they don't like it, find another career......It's as simple as that.

Yep, you get what you pay for, so times will just get tougher on parents and students. If you think cutting wages & benefits is a reward for dedicated employees, you are sadly mistaken. Expect less.

And how long will the Unions expect to ROB the taxpayers and get away with it?

And should there be a cap on how much that can get paid?

How much is a teacher worth in your opinion?

They should get paid $150,000.00 a year, plus full benefits and paid retirements.

Teachers are worth a million a year, but we just can't afford to pay them what they are really worth to society. They teach an average of 200 students a day, or 48,000 students a year in various educational studies that prepare the student for their next step in educational advancement towards a PhD. for $3.12 an hour per student.

Seriously, you need to start educating yourself. You don't teach 48,000 students a year by teaching 200 students a day. Even if your figures of 200 a day were correct, they would still only be teaching 200 students a year. Because they teach the same exact students every day.

As for the $150,000 a year plus benefits and pay when they dont work (AKA Retirement). Are you freaking stupid? You honestly think every single teacher deserves that regardless of if any one of their students actually learns anything?

If we, as taxpayers, are paying someone that much money, they better be producing some pretty damn good results. I would argue that the post of yours that I am responding to is the perfect example of why not all teachers should be given $150,000 a year.

Here we go to the tried and true liberal tactic of LYING!

No wages are being cut. No benefits are being cut. No pensions are being cut!

Knock off the Alinsky tactics, and deal with reality!

Forum List

Back