How much should a Police officer be paid?

How much? As much as they are worth and wanted. Here in my neck of the woods, that's all we have. Those in our small town LOVE our sheriffs. They were going to pull out due to budget cuts and rent on the building because it's just a substation. The town had a hissy. The building owner lowered the rent substantially and we got to keep them. Lucky us!

I think we've worn out the teacher thread, so how's about we move on to a comparison to Police officers.

How much should they be paid?

How much is a police officer in China, India, Mexico, Brazil, Russia or Turkey paid?

Should they be paid as much as as US patrolman?

Why, or why not?

If US officers cost us 30 times more than their counterparts abroad should we recruit cheaper replacements from other regions of the world?

Is law enforcement about creating US jobs and upholding US living standards or about enforcing the law at a cost we can afford?

Cat got your tongue?

How much? As much as they are worth and wanted. Here in my neck of the woods, that's all we have. Those in our small town LOVE our sheriffs. They were going to pull out due to budget cuts and rent on the building because it's just a substation. The town had a hissy. The building owner lowered the rent substantially and we got to keep them. Lucky us!

What is the preservation of Liberty, and the preservation of the Constitution worth?

;)

What is the preservation of Liberty, and the preservation of the Constitution worth?

;)

You asking that poster? Or the members of Congress? Enquiring minds want to know ...

A Sheriff dept. is fundamentally different from a police dept due to the Sheriff being democratically accountable and the chief of police not being directly so

I think we've worn out the teacher thread, so how's about we move on to a comparison to Police officers.

A helluva lot more than they do.

As a restaurant manager I make almost double what my local PD and SO do.

That's uncool.

Why?

Why should police officers be paid more...?

IYO of course.

I'm pro cop and pro justice.

Cops should get a decent salary about $50,000. They should also get a bonus that depends upon the risk they take on each bust. That means when they bust a shop lifter they get a $1 bonus. When they bust a child molester they should get a $1000 bonus.

On the other hand when they get caught falsifying evidence to bust the wrong suspect on purpose they should be prosecuted, not protected.

There's a reason for the following strange behavior that is going to be used in my civil suit for false arrest. Read this letter:

February 19, 2011

The Honorable Kevin T. Kane
Chief State’s Attorney
Connecticut
Rocky Hill, CT 06067

DENIED POLICE PROTECTION & FALSE ARREST

On January 13, 2011, I requested police protection from Bridgeport Police Captain James Viadero from a dangerous, psychotic person named Dennis Shaw. I also requested protection from my landlord who has received my complaints about threats and vandalism of my property by Dennis Shaw who lives on the 3rd floor of the three family house on Waldorf Avenue that began approximately three years ago when Shaw moved into the apartment. This was the first time I asked for police protection from Shaw.

The consistent response to my request for police protection by Captain Viadero and John C. Smriga, State's Attorney was silence until they decided to arrest me by creating a false charge of harassment 2nd degree and creating an absurd and perjured affidavit. These are criminal offenses by your staff.

My arrest at my home by two State Troopers was around 1600 hours February 3, 2011. Upon release from jail I placed an additional call to Bridgeport Police and a squad car was dispatched by Diane Vitale and Officer Tyrone Teele arrived on 2/12/2011. I described the incident threats by Dennis Shaw in addition to Shaw’s car with Maine plates to Officer Teele.

Officer Teele noticed Shaw peering out his front window at us in the street and Officer Teele went upstairs to interview Shaw. My complaint was again ignored.

It is vividly apparent that I have been uniquely singled out by the bizarre behavior of each and every person involved in these series of events. Justice has been flipped on its head by each official under your command.

A helluva lot more than they do.

As a restaurant manager I make almost double what my local PD and SO do.

That's uncool.

Why?

Why should police officers be paid more...?

IYO of course.
Simply because their's is a much more dangerous occupation than mine.

I rely on them when I have issues with unruly guests or suspicious vehicles in the parking lot after hours, etc....

I just have a lot of respect for our police forces .
$26k for a starting salary is pathetic

Someone established, or portended rather, that job importance doesn't determine one's salary.

I guess you're saying danger does.

Is that right?

No matter what the job is, it should pay whatever amount that the individual doing the job is willing to accept as payment.

A Sheriff dept. is fundamentally different from a police dept due to the Sheriff being democratically accountable and the chief of police not being directly so

Difference between being an inner-city cop and a country cop. Simple as that.

Maybe we should just do away with police, and have Committees of Public Safety instead that apprehend criminals and turn them over to officers of the court.

I'm pro cop and pro justice.

Cops should get a decent salary about $50,000. They should also get a bonus that depends upon the risk they take on each bust. That means when they bust a shop lifter they get a $1 bonus. When they bust a child molester they should get a $1000 bonus.

On the other hand when they get caught falsifying evidence to bust the wrong suspect on purpose they should be prosecuted, not protected.

There's a reason for the following strange behavior that is going to be used in my civil suit for false arrest. Read this letter:

February 19, 2011

The Honorable Kevin T. Kane
Chief State’s Attorney
Connecticut
Rocky Hill, CT 06067

DENIED POLICE PROTECTION & FALSE ARREST

On January 13, 2011, I requested police protection from Bridgeport Police Captain James Viadero from a dangerous, psychotic person named Dennis Shaw. I also requested protection from my landlord who has received my complaints about threats and vandalism of my property by Dennis Shaw who lives on the 3rd floor of the three family house on Waldorf Avenue that began approximately three years ago when Shaw moved into the apartment. This was the first time I asked for police protection from Shaw.

The consistent response to my request for police protection by Captain Viadero and John C. Smriga, State's Attorney was silence until they decided to arrest me by creating a false charge of harassment 2nd degree and creating an absurd and perjured affidavit. These are criminal offenses by your staff.

My arrest at my home by two State Troopers was around 1600 hours February 3, 2011. Upon release from jail I placed an additional call to Bridgeport Police and a squad car was dispatched by Diane Vitale and Officer Tyrone Teele arrived on 2/12/2011. I described the incident threats by Dennis Shaw in addition to Shaw’s car with Maine plates to Officer Teele.

Officer Teele noticed Shaw peering out his front window at us in the street and Officer Teele went upstairs to interview Shaw. My complaint was again ignored.

It is vividly apparent that I have been uniquely singled out by the bizarre behavior of each and every person involved in these series of events. Justice has been flipped on its head by each official under your command.

Dude, knock off the bold, oversized letter bullshit, huh?

Maybe we should just do away with police, and have Committees of Public Safety instead that apprehend criminals and turn them over to officers of the court.

I have an arsenal. Perhaps we should just have clean up crews? When you grow up and can address a topic like an adult, feel free.

I have an arsenal. Perhaps we should just have clean up crews? When you grow up and can address a topic like an adult, feel free.

already did that on page 1.

Personally this second idea sounds just as practical as most of the stuff discussed on Stossel

Someone established, or portended rather, that job importance doesn't determine one's salary.

I guess you're saying danger does.

Is that right?
Yes.

And I'm prepared to agree with (just about) any example you can pull out of your hat to try to trip me up.
Military personnel shouldn't have to depend on food stamps to survive.
Firemen shouldn't have to work 2 jobs to make ends meet.

I never got into the teacher debate, but I do think that their pay should be result-driven.
Just as a police officer with a higher arrest-conviction record should get paid more than a rookie.

Forum List

Back