How Much of a Theist or Atheist are You?

How Much of a Theist or Atheist are You?

• Strong Theist

Votes: 21 25.9%
  • De-facto Theist

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Weak Theist

Votes: 3 3.7%
  • Pure Agnostic

Votes: 14 17.3%
  • Weak Atheist

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • De-facto Atheist

Votes: 8 9.9%
  • Strong Atheist

Votes: 16 19.8%
  • Other

Votes: 12 14.8%

• Total voters

james bond

Gold Member
Oct 17, 2015
The first time I heard of a scale being around was through Richard Dawkins, one of the founders of the New Atheism group. Since I do not have a differing widely known scale, I use his. He's eliminating other beliefs and the like for those whose beliefs lie elsewhere, so I include "Other" in my poll.

1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.
  2. De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he is there.
  3. Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.
  4. Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.
  5. Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.
  6. De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumption that he is not there.
  7. Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.
If this has been posted before, then please forgive. I did a search and did not find.

Strong theist here because when you have a personal relationship with the living God, then you KNOW. I do appreciate the agnostics who do not have that personal experience yet but who keep an open mind. I agree that is the thinking person's position.

image.jpeg

The first time I heard of a scale being around was through Richard Dawkins, one of the founders of the New Atheism group. Since I do not have a differing widely known scale, I use his. He's eliminating other beliefs and the like for those whose beliefs lie elsewhere, so I include "Other" in my poll.

1. Strong Theist: I do not question the existence of God, I KNOW he exists.
  2. De-facto Theist: I cannot know for certain but I strongly believe in God and I live my life on the assumption that he is there.
  3. Weak Theist: I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.
  4. Pure Agnostic: God’s existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.
  5. Weak Atheist: I do not know whether God exists but I’m inclined to be skeptical.
  6. De-facto Atheist: I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable and I live my life under the assumption that he is not there.
  7. Strong Atheist: I am 100% sure that there is no God.
If this has been posted before, then please forgive. I did a search and did not find.
The most interesting thing from your list is I don't think there has ever been a 1 in human history, but you do find a large number of 5's, assuming you intended it to also include the phrase you never question your belief.

Strong theist. I don't think it makes sense to walk into a house and make the claim that there was no builder, citing the fact that you never met them as evidence.

Neither theist nor atheist, since neither theory is provable.

This is a bit like asking "how much of a Democrat or Republican are you" as if two binary choices covered everything. It doesn't.

4. Pure agnostic. It's the thinking person's position.
Agnostic is derived from the word ignorant.
So no, while agnostic is about thinking, a thinking person must seek the truth and find it.
Everyone seeks the truth, agnostics simply acknowledge that we haven't found it yet.
Please. 12% think Elvis is alive, people think we never walked on the moon and half of America thinks Islam is a religion of peace.

Strong theist. I don't think it makes sense to walk into a house and make the claim that there was no builder, citing the fact that you never met them as evidence.

Bad analogy. A house is a construction. Obviously a construction is by definition constructed. Nowhere near as bad an analogy though as the post immediately before this one crashed with.

Substitute "universe" for "house" and the point is quite valid. But by the same logic --- neither does it make sense to claim there was one.

I don't understand how a person can claim to "know", one way or the other.

I can see that the definition of "God" commonly used falls apart in a mass of contradictions, hence I know that such a being can't exist.

And no, stating that God is outside of logic isn't a solution, because it turns God into Cthulhu, an unknowable alien thing. Once logic no longer holds, you can't know anything.

New Topics

Forum List

Back