How Much Faith Do You Have in the Vote Counting Process?

After the Election Dust Settles, Will the Results Be Accurate?

I'm torn. Remember the “chads” thing? Examining actual ballots to determine their veracity? Where is that now. I know the voting machines here in Nevada actually have a printed list of votes in case of a recount. But other states? How happy are you with the way ballots are cast in your state?

In an age of digital and online voting, there is no way to know if the announced results of any given election faithfully express the intent of the voters. This is not only because digitized voting machines can be hacked or manipulated. The fact is, modernday ballots are not available as public documents — even after elections.

Story @ How Much Faith Do You Have in the Vote Counting Process? - WhoWhatWhy
I fall in that +/- 3% range.

PA uses an electric system, you can actually go and just push (R) or (D) and not have to think or even know who you voted for or what.

considering how often we now hear claims of people voting more than once, machines being messed with, dead people voting, illegals voting, etc, etc.

we need to set something up.

And why is the PA system not good?

Is there no back up?

Is there no fail safe programs?

I think you are just saying "I don't like it", so who cares?

Is there no back up?

In 59 Philadelphia voting divisions, Mitt Romney got zero votes

It's one thing for a Democratic presidential candidate to dominate a Democratic city like Philadelphia, but check out this head-spinning figure: In 59 voting divisions in the city, Mitt Romney received not one vote. Zero. Zilch.

These are the kind of numbers that send Republicans into paroxysms of voter-fraud angst, but such results may not be so startling after all.

"We have always had these dense urban corridors that are extremely Democratic," said Jonathan Rodden, a political science professor at Stanford University. "It's kind of an urban fact, and you are looking at the extreme end of it in Philadelphia."

Most big cities are politically homogeneous, with 75 percent to 80 percent of voters identifying as Democrats.

Cities are not only bursting with Democrats: They are easier to organize than rural areas where people live far apart from one another, said Sasha Issenberg, author of The Victory Lab: The Secret Science of Winning Campaigns.

"One reason Democrats can maximize votes in Philadelphia is that it's very easy to knock on every door," Issenberg said.

Still, was there not one contrarian voter in those 59 divisions, where unofficial vote tallies have President Obama outscoring Romney by a combined 19,605 to 0?

The unanimous support for Obama in these Philadelphia neighborhoods - clustered in almost exclusively black sections of West and North Philadelphia - fertilizes fears of fraud, despite little hard evidence.

Philly Election Officials Charged With Election Fraud

On the night before Philly’s primary, four local election officials are accused of casting extra votes in order to balance their numbers.

Sandra Lee, 60, Alexia Harding, 22, James Collins, 69, and Gregory Thomas, 60, are all charged with election fraud. Warrants for their arrests were issued Monday. All four suspects were election officials from Philly’s 18th Ward, 1st Division.

“There’s no legally justifiable reason to vote multiple times and you cannot falsely certify that you live in a particular ward and division in order to work the polls and collect a check,” said District Attorney Seth Williams. “Our democracy rests on free and fair elections, but it also relies on the fact that they are conducted properly, which is why these four individuals deserve to be arrested for what they did.”

On Feb. 16, 2015, a detective from the District Attorney’s Office Special Investigations Division interviewed a poll watcher who saw the division’s election board work to correct a discrepancy between the number of votes cast and the number of voters who signed in to vote, investigators said.

Once the polling place, the Hancock Recreation Center on 1401 N. Hancock Street, closed, the four suspects added six more votes to one of the machines to make the votes cast and sign-in books match, investigators said. Collins held the voting machine curtain open while Thomas was at the back of the machine, according to officials. Collins then allegedly registered several votes on the machine after the polls closed.

After each vote, Collins allegedly said, “one more time” and Thomas reset the machine for him to register new votes, investigators said. The poll watcher told police there were no voters inside the polling place and the doors were locked while votes were cast. Investigators say they verified the poll watcher’s testimony by examining the voting cartridge.

Election Officials Charged With Fraud

Voter fraud in Philadelphia is so common people make jokes about it.

Is there no back up?

It's one thing for a Democratic presidential candidate to dominate a Democratic city like Philadelphia, but check out this head-spinning figure: In 59 voting divisions in the city, Mitt Romney received not one vote. Zero. Zilch.

These are the kind of numbers that send Republicans into paroxysms of voter-fraud angst, but such results may not be so startling after all.

"We have always had these dense urban corridors that are extremely Democratic," said Jonathan Rodden, a political science professor at Stanford University. "It's kind of an urban fact, and you are looking at the extreme end of it in Philadelphia."

Most big cities are politically homogeneous, with 75 percent to 80 percent of voters identifying as Democrats.

Cities are not only bursting with Democrats: They are easier to organize than rural areas where people live far apart from one another, said Sasha Issenberg, author of The Victory Lab: The Secret Science of Winning Campaigns.

"One reason Democrats can maximize votes in Philadelphia is that it's very easy to knock on every door," Issenberg said.

Still, was there not one contrarian voter in those 59 divisions, where unofficial vote tallies have President Obama outscoring Romney by a combined 19,605 to 0?

The unanimous support for Obama in these Philadelphia neighborhoods - clustered in almost exclusively black sections of West and North Philadelphia - fertilizes fears of fraud, despite little hard evidence.

Philly Election Officials Charged With Election Fraud

On the night before Philly’s primary, four local election officials are accused of casting extra votes in order to balance their numbers.

Sandra Lee, 60, Alexia Harding, 22, James Collins, 69, and Gregory Thomas, 60, are all charged with election fraud. Warrants for their arrests were issued Monday. All four suspects were election officials from Philly’s 18th Ward, 1st Division.

“There’s no legally justifiable reason to vote multiple times and you cannot falsely certify that you live in a particular ward and division in order to work the polls and collect a check,” said District Attorney Seth Williams. “Our democracy rests on free and fair elections, but it also relies on the fact that they are conducted properly, which is why these four individuals deserve to be arrested for what they did.”

On Feb. 16, 2015, a detective from the District Attorney’s Office Special Investigations Division interviewed a poll watcher who saw the division’s election board work to correct a discrepancy between the number of votes cast and the number of voters who signed in to vote, investigators said.

Once the polling place, the Hancock Recreation Center on 1401 N. Hancock Street, closed, the four suspects added six more votes to one of the machines to make the votes cast and sign-in books match, investigators said. Collins held the voting machine curtain open while Thomas was at the back of the machine, according to officials. Collins then allegedly registered several votes on the machine after the polls closed.

After each vote, Collins allegedly said, “one more time” and Thomas reset the machine for him to register new votes, investigators said. The poll watcher told police there were no voters inside the polling place and the doors were locked while votes were cast. Investigators say they verified the poll watcher’s testimony by examining the voting cartridge.

Election Officials Charged With Fraud

Voter fraud in Philadelphia is so common people make jokes about it.
Thanks. I've pointed out the fraud a few times, though most folks don't want to listen.

I usually point it out with the fraud that occurred in 2000, and 2004 so they know I am not being partisan. Fraud in the system in general bothers me, I'm not partisan about it. The fact that all these elites care more about their policies, than what the people desires is more maddening than the actual parties behind the fraud. They know well in advance who they want in power.

Kerry didn't even contest the fraud, and Gore rolled over as well. So did Romney when it comes right down to it. They all know what is going on.

lysander_spooner___voting_by_subject416-d5f2txo.jpg

I'm torn. Remember the “chads” thing? Examining actual ballots to determine their veracity? Where is that now. I know the voting machines here in Nevada actually have a printed list of votes in case of a recount. But other states? How happy are you with the way ballots are cast in your state?

In an age of digital and online voting, there is no way to know if the announced results of any given election faithfully express the intent of the voters. This is not only because digitized voting machines can be hacked or manipulated. The fact is, modernday ballots are not available as public documents — even after elections.

How much faith do I have in the count?

100%. There will be fraud. Never enough to sway a Presidential election. Any argument to the contrary is simply a republicunt laying the groundwork for Trump’s loss.

You said it ... but how do you know it won't affect a Presidential election, particularly given the insistence on liberals covering up every example? Why aren't we allowed to verify?

If pubs and dems want to change the huge dynamics in districts, I suggest you legislate to the needs of all the people.

100%. There will be fraud. Never enough to sway a Presidential election. Any argument to the contrary is simply a republicunt laying the groundwork for Trump’s loss.

You said it ... but how do you know it won't affect a Presidential election, particularly given the insistence on liberals covering up every example? Why aren't we allowed to verify?

If liberals insisted on covering up “every example” you wouldn’t know about any of it, would you? As for verification…what are you wanting to verify? I’m for having to supply a photo ID each time you cast a ballot as long as they are 100% free of charge myself.
I’d even be in favor of a nationwide standardization of voting machines and auditing 10 states each federal election.

If liberals insisted on covering up “every example” you wouldn’t know about any of it, would you? As for verification…what are you wanting to verify? I’m for having to supply a photo ID each time you cast a ballot as long as they are 100% free of charge myself.
I’d even be in favor of a nationwide standardization of voting machines and auditing 10 states each federal election.

That is exactly the point ... every effort to allocate government funds to study the issue of voter fraud is immediately attacked by the left as being racist. If nobody is cheating, what's the problem with checking that? We have ample anecdotal evidence, but every attempt to conduct a mathematically structured review is blocked by Democrats.

Or, if you have something to hide, wouldn't you scream and holler if somebody wanted to check?

I'm the wrong liberal to ask about this. I don't see any problem with a person being given ample time to get a free ID card for free then having to show one to cast the ballot. No statewide election has hinged on voter fraud.

I'm the wrong liberal to ask about this. I don't see any problem with a person being given ample time to get a free ID card for free then having to show one to cast the ballot. No statewide election has hinged on voter fraud.

Who is the avatar photo of?

I have no problem with whatever system each state wishes to implement.

Most of the requirements seem reasonable. I think the bank statement, or utility bill, are a little too easy to fake.

Perhaps an I-9 verification form would be enough?

But there are tons of other issues, and problems in one state, don't happen in other states. Which is why I generally like the idea of letting each state determine it's own laws.

The one-size-fits-all approach tends to not work well.

Most of the requirements seem reasonable. I think the bank statement, or utility bill, are a little too easy to fake.

But there are tons of other issues, and problems in one state, don't happen in other states. Which is why I generally like the idea of letting each state determine it's own laws.

Huma Abien (sp?). Clinton aide, thorn in the side of conservatives (i.e. confident, smart woman).

The one size fits all approach works very well. Quick, what's the last 4 of your social? Everyone knows it. Your ZIP code is 5 digits plus 4 if using the ZIP+4. In all states except Louisiana, you have a Capitol city with a number of counties. Each county has (as far as I know) sub divisions called districts (usually 4). Your SAT was based on 800 for reading and 800 for math. Anyone telling you they made a 4500 on it is full of beans. Having a common currency, universal sufferage, universal Miranda rights is a great thing.

It just makes sense to have a universal voting card with a picture ID on it and, in my opinion, universal voting machines that require one set of training materials

Huma Abien (sp?). Clinton aide, thorn in the side of conservatives (i.e. confident, smart woman).

The one size fits all approach works very well. Quick, what's the last 4 of your social? Everyone knows it. Your ZIP code is 5 digits plus 4 if using the ZIP+4. In all states except Louisiana, you have a Capitol city with a number of counties. Each county has (as far as I know) sub divisions called districts (usually 4). Your SAT was based on 800 for reading and 800 for math. Anyone telling you they made a 4500 on it is full of beans. Having a common currency, universal sufferage, universal Miranda rights is a great thing.

It just makes sense to have a universal voting card with a picture ID on it and, in my opinion, universal voting machines that require one set of training materials

Never seen her before. Not sure about her being a thorn in the side of conservatives when I don't know anyone who knows who she is.

Anyway, more power to her. I wish the best for everyone. Wish she wasn't working for a scandal plagued criminal though.

Anyway, not sure I think you are right on that. SAT scores are not a great example. I've met purely brilliant people, that scored poorly on the SAT, and had a hard time getting into college. But then passed with straight As.

Also met some brainless nit wits, who scored high on the SAT, and later were on probation for bad grades.

SAT is exactly the kind of one-size-fits-all approach I think is counter productive.

I don't think having a common currency, is the same as legislating laws that may or may not be effective in other places.

It's kind of like that government program that convinced African farmers to grow corn, instead of the local crops they were used to. The result was even though the harvest was larger than their typical yields, the corn wouldn't sell. They don't like corn there. The one size fits all solution, resulted in farmers rioting, and nearly starving that year.

Now that's an extreme example, but the assumption that one law will work in every single state, is the same logical fallacy. States are in fact different, and what works in New York, may not work in Iowa.

Never seen her before. Not sure about her being a thorn in the side of conservatives when I don't know anyone who knows who she is.

Anyway, more power to her. I wish the best for everyone. Wish she wasn't working for a scandal plagued criminal though.
She works for Clinton, not Trump.

Anyway, not sure I think you are right on that. SAT scores are not a great example. I've met purely brilliant people, that scored poorly on the SAT, and had a hard time getting into college. But then passed with straight As.

Also met some brainless nit wits, who scored high on the SAT, and later were on probation for bad grades.

SAT is exactly the kind of one-size-fits-all approach I think is counter productive.

I don't think having a common currency, is the same as legislating laws that may or may not be effective in other places.
Well, the point is that if you're in San Diego, you know that 1600 is the max (or at least was). They don't have a different SAT in Florida or Utah. Standardization is the key to success and also the key to identifying outliers by the way.

It's kind of like that government program that convinced African farmers to grow corn, instead of the local crops they were used to. The result was even though the harvest was larger than their typical yields, the corn wouldn't sell. They don't like corn there. The one size fits all solution, resulted in farmers rioting, and nearly starving that year.

Now that's an extreme example, but the assumption that one law will work in every single state, is the same logical fallacy. States are in fact different, and what works in New York, may not work in Iowa.

Well, it's not a law, it's a device that hte Feds would provide to each county every 2 years. The State secretaries of State or whomever manages the elections in each state would simply have one device to train their poll workers on using. People who move from district to district wouldn't have to "get used to" a different system....it would be universal.

Just some of the obvious benefits.

I worry that the voting process seems to discourage people from voting as much as possible.

Ironically, I think that's good.

One of the reasons we end up with such horrible choices for politicians, is because the politicians know they can say the dumbest things, do the dumbest actions, and Joe Blow Six-Pack, will vote for them.

The only way we are ever going to get sanity in the election system, is if only smart, informed, dedicated people are voting. As long as the vast ignorant people vote, then literally anyone anywhere can run for office, and as long as they lie through their teeth, they can dupe the public into anything.

The example that remains to this day, as the biggest wake up call for me.... was 2000.

Most of you don't remember this.

Al Gore did something incredible, and amazing at the DNC convention. He in one moment, swung the polls 16 points in his favor. Literally millions of people switched their vote, in a moment.

Do any of you remember what it was? What the amazing argument he gave? What incredible policy choice he announced? Do you remember?

Video: Happy Times: The Great Gore Kiss

Here it is....... he kissed..... his wife.

16 point swing in the poll numbers. Kissing wife. That was his amazing policy. His incredible argument. Kissed.... the wife.

Now.... I'm all for kissing wives. I think that's a great idea.

But this is an election for the president of the United States of America. Do we determine who is going to control the worlds super-power based on whether they kiss their wife on TV?

And the answer is..... YES!

Gore's Summer Surprise

As he arrived at the podium, Gore got the viewers' attention with a passionate kiss. The simple act of kissing his wife may have done more to appeal to undecided women voters than all of Stanley Greenberg's polls and position papers. In a few seconds (it seemed more like a few minutes), Gore had somehow transformed himself from ponderous panderer to sex symbol.​

Now as crazy as that sounds, it is in fact true. Back at that time, I used to listen to Rush Limbaugh, and Rush opened up the phones specifically to ask people why the polls jumped 16 points during that night at the convention. Anyone who changed their minds, should call in and explain why.

Sure enough... call....after call.... after call... of people calling in "Yes the kiss changed my mind! Al Gore is the candidate for me!".

I heard it. I met people who said it.

And you think asking people for voter ID might discourage a few from voting? GOOD! Fantastic. The more stupid people, voting based on idiocracy, the better. Idiocracy isn't just a movie, it's a documentary, and it started in 2000 for me. I watched it happen.

I worry that the voting process seems to discourage people from voting as much as possible.

One of the reasons we end up with such horrible choices for politicians, is because the politicians know they can say the dumbest things, do the dumbest actions, and Joe Blow Six-Pack, will vote for them.

The only way we are ever going to get sanity in the election system, is if only smart, informed, dedicated people are voting. As long as the vast ignorant people vote, then literally anyone anywhere can run for office, and as long as they lie through their teeth, they can dupe the public into anything.

The example that remains to this day, as the biggest wake up call for me.... was 2000.

Al Gore did something incredible, and amazing at the DNC convention. He in one moment, swung the polls 16 points in his favor. Literally millions of people switched their vote, in a moment.

Do any of you remember what it was? What the amazing argument he gave? What incredible policy choice he announced? Do you remember?

16 point swing in the poll numbers. Kissing wife. That was his amazing policy. His incredible argument. Kissed.... the wife.

But this is an election for the president of the United States of America. Do we determine who is going to control the worlds super-power based on whether they kiss their wife on TV?

Gore's Summer Surprise

As he arrived at the podium, Gore got the viewers' attention with a passionate kiss. The simple act of kissing his wife may have done more to appeal to undecided women voters than all of Stanley Greenberg's polls and position papers. In a few seconds (it seemed more like a few minutes), Gore had somehow transformed himself from ponderous panderer to sex symbol.​

Now as crazy as that sounds, it is in fact true. Back at that time, I used to listen to Rush Limbaugh, and Rush opened up the phones specifically to ask people why the polls jumped 16 points during that night at the convention. Anyone who changed their minds, should call in and explain why.

Sure enough... call....after call.... after call... of people calling in "Yes the kiss changed my mind! Al Gore is the candidate for me!".

And you think asking people for voter ID might discourage a few from voting? GOOD! Fantastic. The more stupid people, voting based on idiocracy, the better. Idiocracy isn't just a movie, it's a documentary, and it started in 2000 for me. I watched it happen.

All US citizens in good standing should be able to vote, and it should be made as easy as possible for everyone. Your opinion on who shouldn't vote because of their opinion is undemocratic and unconstitutional. Should Trump voters not be able to vote if they believe some of the lies he peddles? And Clinton voters for the lies she does?

my concern are the Russians, they hacked in to two known State voter registration systems and stole voter rolls...WHY would they want this info, if it were not to somehow affect our election? Maybe they will find all the dead people on them and vote in their spots via absentee ballot somehow? Maybe they will hack back in and remove democrats from the voter rolls if they had not done so the first time around, making citizens cast provisional ballots which are not even counted for another 2 weeks or so after election day....?

we know one thing, every bit of hacking by them involved in our election like the clinton campaign hacking and the DNC Hacking has been to HURT Democrats and HELP Donald Trump win.....

messing with our votes somehow is not beyond their reach or desires.

Gore's Summer Surprise

All US citizens in good standing should be able to vote, and it should be made as easy as possible for everyone. Your opinion on who shouldn't vote because of their opinion is undemocratic and unconstitutional. Should Trump voters not be able to vote if they believe some of the lies he peddles? And Clinton voters for the lies she does?

Well then, be happy with the stupidity and corruption that ends up in office.

I don't want to ever hear from you, about how we end up with bad options for government... because you are right here, right now, are defending the reason.

As long as every idiot, has a vote, then you are going to end up with Idiocracy.

I think the whole reason we ended up with Trump and Hillary, is because of Idiocracy.

Every vote of the general public, is a vote of the uninformed. It just is, what it is. That's why we end up with people like Sheila Jackson Lee, asking the people at NASA if the Mars rover would reach where they planted the flag. Or Barney Frank in 2005 claiming on TV "there is no housing bubble!". Or Maxine Waters claiming there is absolutely no problem whatsoever at Freddie Mac, or Fannie Mae, which ended up the largest bailouts of any banks in the country.

How do you end up such mindlessly stupid people in the highest political offices in the land? Idiocracy. And you support it. So I don't want to ever hear you complain about dumb corrupt politicians again. If your cool with that, great. Go and Idiocracy your way into the government stupidity.

Forum List

Back