how much do you tip?

Well, the system is that we the diners pay the waiters for bringing our food and drinks and stuff. The restaurant doesn't really pay them.

It's a weird system, but it IS the one we have. So if people don't tip, that's sad for the unpaid server.

The servers should be paid. By the employer. You, the public, should not be expected to pay the wages of a stranger.
Are waiters paid in Australia as they are in Europe? The tip is included in the bill in Europe.

Well, the system is that we the diners pay the waiters for bringing our food and drinks and stuff. The restaurant doesn't really pay them.

It's a weird system, but it IS the one we have. So if people don't tip, that's sad for the unpaid server.

The servers should be paid. By the employer. You, the public, should not be expected to pay the wages of a stranger.
Are waiters paid in Australia as they are in Europe? The tip is included in the bill in Europe.

Our waiters don't get tips because the employer pays them a decent wage. Work in a restaurant and earn around $20 an hour. Work a five hour shift, $100. Do that for five days and you have $500 - you can pay rent and bills with that in some places.

Why not? If the employer paid more, the employees wouldn't have to rely on tips, and they would be able to work 8 hours a day instead of 12 hours plus, and be able to afford to pay the bills.

You can make a wage, but it will be below the minimum wage. People who work on only tips generally make more in a day than people who generally earn a minimum wage, which is an average of $23,000 a year.

Why not? If the employer paid more, the employees wouldn't have to rely on tips, and they would be able to work 8 hours a day instead of 12 hours plus, and be able to afford to pay the bills.

You can make a wage, but it will be below the minimum wage. People who work on only tips generally make more in a day than people who generally earn a minimum wage, which is an average of $23,000 a year.

If an employer paid the employee at least $15 an hour, instead of $5, and they worked a 12 hour shift, that's $180 in one day. Five days a week, 12 hours a day and you have earnings of $900 in one week. Over 52 weeks, that works out to be $46,800.

I think the employer needs to pay more, myself.

Our waiters don't get tips because the employer pays them a decent wage. Work in a restaurant and earn around $20 an hour. Work a five hour shift, $100. Do that for five days and you have $500 - you can pay rent and bills with that in some places.
It's fairer, I think.

It depends.

From 10 to 15%. I''d have to be really unhappy to leave nothing. Poor food and service or something like that. Usually it's 15%.

It's fairer, I think.

Which is? Higher wages or tipping?

If an employer paid the employee at least $15 an hour, instead of $5, and they worked a 12 hour shift, that's $180 in one day. Five days a week, 12 hours a day and you have earnings of $900 in one week. Over 52 weeks, that works out to be $46,800.

Then you can expect to say goodbye to your services at the Olive Garden.

I think the employer needs to pay more, myself.

I make $80,000+ a year just working on margin calls. I think my employer should pay me more too... But that's generally not how it works.

I agree. And there is no expectation or demand on the customers to bring extra change with them to hand over to the server.

Then what incentives do waitresses and waiters have to provide good consumer services if their wages are guaranteed regardless of their performance?

Well, I may not be as generous as some of the posters here, but I do know that if people are carrying around change for tipping, that means you aren't tipping enough.

Paper, folks.

guess their had to be a topic on here before like this....just ate a single diiner the bill was $22.50 gave her $40 bucks and told her to keep the change... I am a 48 year old single guy now. thats just me... how much do you tip? and do you lean left or right? just curious......

we tip no lower then 20 percent ( that is for bad to ok service) up to 35 percent for excellent service and I am a conservative

Forum List

Back